“AS expected and then some, Better than we pictured.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 South 11th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
Ontario
“AS expected and then some, Better than we pictured.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

This hotel is old but very modern, rooms and beds were great. Upgraded in 2009 they did a great job. Parking was resonable and secured lot.
After reading a review about bugs we looked very hard and did not see anysign of anything, very clean.

Only complaint - the hot tub in the Pool area was not hot, it was luke warm. It was not very comfortable,

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I was looking to check in at the Hilton (across the road) or the Hyatt. However, there were no reservations available there and had to check into this hotel. I wasn't hoping for much because it is an "Express" version of Holiday Inn. But it pleasantly surprised me. First of all, there was a Jacuzzi right in my room. The room was big. The staff were friendly and responsive. The breakfast was complimentary - standard fare - but still good food and a decent spread. Location was in downtown Minneapolis and pretty near a Skyway entrance - also 2 blocks away from Nicollette Mall with all sorts of restaurants there. You can order Pizza in the room and other things, as the hotel does not have a restaurant.
Clean and well maintained too. Oh! How could I forget? There was a fireplace too, which made it very cozy when there was a thunderstorm outside! So, all in all it was a great stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

This was one of the most positive hotel stays we have ever had. The staff, especially Mike and Stosh but others as well, were helpful and accommodating making us welcome no matter what we needed. It is a small place, especially compared to the grand hotels in the neighborhood, but this may have resulted in better interaction with the front desk staff. We chose this hotel in order to spend time exploring the downtown area. We felt as if we were on the edge of the center but we were only 3 blocks from Nicollette Mall and we were right across the street from the Convention Center. We were within walking distance of major downtown sites - the Walker Art Museum, the theater district, Nicollette Mall, the Old Mill Park on the Mississippi. Plenty of restaurants in the neighborhood. For those who prefer to get to local sites on wheels, there were several handily placed Bike Share stations in the neighborhood and lots of buses.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Augusta, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Hotel is located perfectly for short walk to convention center or anywhere else in the downtown area, had no complaints, breakfast was good and varied daily with hot items.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

We stayed in a "suite" with a pullout couch, plus mini-fridge and microwave. The room was very comfy and clean. Pretty quiet too. Didn't hear much hall noise, but could hear some street noise. It didn't stop us from sleeping, though.
The staff was very helpful, with restaurant recommendations, directions, etc.
The breakfast selection was good.
There's a small pool area with hot tub, which was nice.
The location is kinda on the edge of downtown, but only 3 blocks from Nicollet Mall, and 6 blocks from a light rail station.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Virden, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I purchased tickets for the Wicked musical and wanted to stay downtown so we would be within walking distance of the Orpheum Theatre about 6 blocks away. I booked a one bedroom suite with livingroom, small kitchenette for 131.00 taxes, parking and complimentary breakfast included. The hotel and rooms were beautifully decorated, clean and very comfortable. Nicolette Street(mall/restaurants/bars), LRT(train) and Target Field are all within walking distance of the hotel. We were absoulutely amazed to find a hotel for this price that was so conveniently located. We would definately stay here again.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

August 21st, 2010. My wife and I had reservations at this motel for our 1st Anniversary. We checked in about 7:00pm. I work in the pest control industry in a different state so the first thing we did was checked for bed bugs. I found a few spots on the back of the head board, 6-7 blood spots on the bottom of the box springs, and a body casing of an instar that had went threw the molting process. We immediately went to the front desk to be moved to a different room. This was room 308 on the 3rd floor.

The front desk man was very apologetic, and said they had never dealt with this before. I found out later that they had dealt with it and the room has been previously infested and treated. Theses signs could have been from the pervious infestation in 2008. What I found next was not from the past.

I told him I was a licensed pest inspector in the state of Iowa. I wasn't trying to get something free I just wanted to be moved to another room in the motel that was bed bug free. He moved us to another room with a king bed on the second floor. I asked to inspect the room prior to moving our belongings into another room. He had no issue with that and gave me the keys(room 212). No evidence was found on the head board this time, but as soon as we turned over the sheets on the box springs a live bed bug was walking across the top of the box springs. I collected the bug in a cup in the room and got out right away. We went back to the front desk, and asked for a refund right away.

The man working the front desk was helpful, but could not make that decision. He called a manager and was able to get it done. The main issue I had was he asked me, "so you can see the bed bugs. I didn't think you could." All hotel staff should be properly educated with these pests. I would recommend you check your sheets long and hard before you stay here! Finding evidence and live bugs on different floors and four rooms down the hall normally is not coincidence.

We got moved to another motel, but had to pay an extra $45.00 to get a similar room. I would have figured the motel would step up and cover it, but the manager said he has had his pest company come out and there is nothing there. He said with me being in the industry how is he to know I didn't just collect a bug at work and bring it in.

If he wants to deny what a licensed person says that's fine. $45.00 is not a big deal. I just know that when the next person stays in that room and takes them home, it can cost them more than $1,200 for one treatment on their home. Not to figure in the stress it can put on you thinking your being bit all the time and constantly checking your sheets. Lawsuits in similar cases throughout the nation have cost upwards of $100,000 per night. I was trying to give them a heads up, and get paid for the difference in motel cost. The next person that doesn't check won't be so fair.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
koenig1998, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center), responded to this review, August 25, 2010
The August 23, 2010 posting about the Holiday Inn Express titled “Bed bugs. Check your bed before you stay” unfairly suggests our hotel has current and widespread problems with bedbugs. That is not true. This hotel has not had a verifiable case of bedbugs in one of our rooms since 2008. In fact, there was a pest control convention in Minneapolis in March 2010. This hotel was fully occupied by pest control workers. Not one claim of bedbug activity was reported during that convention!

It is correct that we had a room where bedbugs were detected in 2008. The room was promptly treated with heat. Heat is the most effective way of treating and eradicating bedbugs. It is environmentally friendly and kills the pest. It also allows the preservation of furniture and personal property, like a mattress and headboard, where the bedbugs’ prior presence might be detectable to a trained eye. Unfortunately, even when bedbugs are eradicated, it is possible to see evidence that they were there.

Bedbugs have become a problem for everyone in the hospitality industry. With the growth of international travel, and use of more environmentally friendly extermination products, bedbug problems are occurring in hotels, theatres, businesses, and apartment buildings.

Our management and housekeeping staff is prepared to proactively inspect rooms after each guest stay to check for bedbugs. We have a local pest control company, with the most current equipment and technology available, to respond to any problem when and if it is discovered.

The guests that stayed in this hotel on August 21, 2010, did make a report of bedbug activity in his initial room. At the guest’s request, he was moved to a second room. The guest reported finding a live bedbug in this room and requested a refund. The guest subsequently wanted to have us pay for the cost of his room at another different location or the difference between our price and the higher price he paid at a different hotel.

Immediately after the report of seeing a live bedbug we contacted our professional exterminator. A professional inspected both rooms on August 23 and again on August 25 and found no evidence of any prior or current activity in either room.

When I spoke to the guest he was most concerned about getting payment for his room or the additional cost he paid at the second hotel. The guest stated he traveled here on a set budget and wanted to be reimbursed. The guest was also concerned that our front desk staff did not appear to be knowledgeable about bedbugs.

I tried to give the customer the best service possible. I explained that hotel management and housekeeping staff were well trained in the detection in bedbug activity. The front desk staff is not, because they are not the individuals who are in guest rooms daily. I told him that our professional exterimators could find no confirmation of activity. The guest was not pleased with my decision to not pay him. Although customer service is always important to us, we feel we have the right to investigate any claim before we pay for a guest’s stay or costs at another location.

Regrettably, bedbugs will be a continuing challenge for travelers and the hotel industry. We have been, and will be, committed to doing everything we can to have professionals on-staff, and available to us, to detect and treat any problem when it arises. But the suggestion that we have had any unresolved, or ongoing, problem at this hotel is not accurate.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center)? Share your experiences!