“Unhospitable hospitality at the Holiday Inn Express” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center)

You added Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   225 South 11th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
milwaukee, wisconsin
“Unhospitable hospitality at the Holiday Inn Express”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was attending a volleyball tournament at the Minneapolis Convention center last week. Our team stayed right across the street at the Holiday Inn Express. We had a block of 12 rooms. This was an excellent location for attending events at the convention center. However, there is no skywalk connection.
I will start by saying that this was a very clean and nice budget hotel. It was clear that it has been updated with nice amenities. There are flat screen tvs, granite in the bathroom, nice counter space in the bathroom, the room size was generous, the lobby was nice, free newspapers were available everyday and there was a nice continental breakfast with a changing menu daily. They actually offered free room service for breakfast. The workout room was small but had an elliptical and two treadmills. But it was very hot in there. The pool area was nice and there was a small hot tub.

There were, however, several things that cannot be overlooked. The front desk service was some of the rudest and most unfriendly, inhospitable that I have ever encountered.
I arrived during a snow storm after spending 9 hours in the car driving there. There was no covered drop off area. The parking lot next to the building did not have open access to the hotel. Instead, you had to take a cart from the lobby, walk around the building and go back again. Consequently all our luggage was soaking wet and it was very difficult to manage the luggage cart in the snow. The front desk worker just grunted when I asked if there was another way to get our luggage in the hotel without getting wet. I called ahead for a refrigerator but was told there was not one available. It turned out that out of our 12 rooms, those who requested refrigerators did not get them, but those who did not request them, got them. Teammates who checked in after me who did not even want a fridge got one. Just doesn't make sense.
When I checked in, the front desk worker did not greet me, did not talk to me, and did not explain any of the hotel amenities. When I asked where the pool and breakfast area were, he just pointed and grunted. It was really unbelievable.
This could be a nice but get hotel , but it was very family unfriendly. Only one female desk worker was nice when I asked for directions. If they get rid of several of the workers, this might be a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room, which will be much quieter. Also ask for a room with a refrigerator which al...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center), responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear larosaWisconsin,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am pleased to read our location was convenient for your activities. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor level of service from our staff and for the issues you encountered with the parking layout. We will address these points. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The room was comfy and had nice features such as fridge and microwave. The fitness room is very small with only 4 cardio machines. Breakfast is ok but again that room is too small for the size of the hotel and it was always full. Staff was friendly. Not the nicest hotel in the area but decent value.

• Stayed April 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center), responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear JaniceHfx,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to know that you found our rooms and amenities to be nice and comfortable. I am also glad that you found our staff to be friendly.

Please accept my apologies for some of our amenities didn't meet your expectations. We always strive to provide the best guest experience, for this reason, comments such as yours are taken very seriously.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope to have the honor of serving you again

Dhan M
IHGCare
Fergus Falls, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We planned a weekend in Minneapolis. The Guthrie, visiting relatives, and eating. The Holiday Inn Express has always been our hotel of choice. We enjoyed staying a whirlpool room complete with a comfortable bed and HGTV :-). Breakfast was good. We had the option of breakfast being delivered to our room. We felt safe and well cared-for. The employees made us feel welcome and answered our questions. We will return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Moline, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We accidentally booked this property instead of the one in downtown St. Paul. The staff was very helpful and we ended up staying here after all. It is very easy to get to. We had to park across the street, but that's easy too. Overnight cost to park was only $14. Breakfast was great. Rooms were very clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Anacortes, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have business in Minneapolis every few months, and often last minutes, so it's not always easy for me to get a room downtown and often stay near the airport. But this time, I was able to work it out to stay downtown, and I decided I would pay full price at this property versus my company's corporate rate at Hyatt so I could have the Priority Club points because there is a Holiday Inn I like to spend my points on in Portland.

If I EVER decide to do this again, I will be staying at the Crowne Plaza or not getting the points and staying at Hyatt for a lot less money.
The night I was there, there were kids running up and down the halls everywhere. This is completely unacceptable. Round them up and haul them to foster homes if the parents act like that! My kids have NEVER had to be yelled at to quiet down or stop running in public! Then the bars closed and the night clerk (who was VERY nice and apologetic to me when I called down) was very busy trying to make these adults behave as such. No security guard! I know from the time I was mugged that the police in Minneapolis are terrible and don't answer their calls, but if I had known there wasn't a security guard, for what I paid, there is no way I'd have stayed there. The whole place is full of kids and adults that are partying and I swear to ch*ist the only other sober adult was the night clerk!

I spoke to the front office manager the next day and she blew off my comments (including the compliments about her stellar employee!) like I was bucking for a free night, which isn't the case. I'm not interested in charity. I just expect an expensive downtown hotel to have, at minimum ONE SECURITY GUARD and maybe limit how many drunks they let in the door.

My only other complaint was the butter I had at breakfast was rancid and the middle aged black gentleman told me it wasn't. Excuse me? I didn't even believe it was his fault. Sometimes food comes spoiled from the suppliers. I just walked away.
The people that run this place should go to the Crowne Plaza on Appletree and learn a thing or two.
Also, there aren't very many parking spaces available but I saw people in Holiday Inn uniforms getting in and out of cars there. I didn't drive this trip, but that would really anger me to see employees parked there and then if I was told they were out of parking.

Room Tip: There are great rooms at the Hyatt Regency and also the Crowne Plaza near the airport!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center), responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear slutcakes,

As a Priority Club Rewards Platinum member you are one of our most important guests, and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and regret our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. Rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to these identified weakness and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.
Appleton, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Nice place that it is by the convention center. The only thing that i dont like is that the parking, but there is a lot accross the street. So not bad close to downtown so walking is great too. We go to the motorcycle show that is one block away so it is nice for that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My stay at the hotel was a most pleasurable one: the sheets and encased coverlet were immaculate, as were the towels. The room was fully equipped with hair dryer, iron and ironing board, television, alarm, etc. The room was quiet. The staff was uniformly friendly and eager to be of assistance. I felt very well taken care of.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center)? Share your experiences!