“One of my best stays ever” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tamarac
“One of my best stays ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Hotel located downtown. This hotel was perfect for my stay from the moment I stepped out of the shuttle I was greeted by hotel staff who assited me with my bags..I was checked in smoothly and was offered fresh baked cookies mmmm.delicious! I was then assisted with my luggage by hotel staff to my room. Breakfast at the onsite restaurant was yummy it helped start my day after a good workout in the gym. The hotel also can provide you with a private workout in the privacy of your own room with a workout kit I thought that was pretty awesome. I would recommend this hotel to everyone who visits Minnesota. The only thing is that the shuttle does not go everywhere we wanted to go but we found the taxi service to be helpful. I will back at this hotel on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Northern WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

My wife had a business meeting to attend in Minneapolis. We decided to go as a family so it was more or less a business trip for my wife, and a leisure trip for myself and daughter.

We arrived shortly before 4 PM. Check in time was 3 PM and our room was not ready. We drove a long way and my wife would have liked a nap, a shower, and a change of clothes before her meeting at 7PM.. Our room didn't get ready until after 5 PM. We ended up sitting in the lobby for almost an hour and a half waiting for our room.. My wife barely had enough time to get changed for her meeting. But she did make it there on time. I am surprised our 6 year old daughter was patient.

During the wait, the motel staff was nice to us and offered things like free soda, and snacks while we were waiting. Eventually the motel also gave us all free breakfast buffets and 2 free drink coupons. In some ways, I think they should have knocked a few bucks off the cost of the room.. But I didn't argue.. I was just happy to get our room.

The room prices were reasonable. The room was spotless, neatly made, very clean, and appeared well maintained. I have no complaints with the quality of the room. The $24.00 parking fee was outrageous.. I guess if you look at it from another prospective, if they added $24.00 to the cost of the room and gave you free parking.. That $24.00 would had to been taxed at 12.5%.

When my wife went to her meeting, my daughter and I took a walk around town. There are quite a few stores, and businesses in this location, but this area of Minneapolis is mostly a business district.. Most of the businesses close by 6 PM. While you can find a good number of bars,clubs, and general nightlife, usually downtown Minneapolist means expensive parking. Not many people are going to pay $7.00 to park and go to McDonalds, Dairy Queen, or Arbys unless they are there and doing business. Much all those places close at 5 or shorly after. Not much there within walking distance to take my daughter after dark.. Pretty much the area becomes a ghost town.. :)

Our Daughter and I ate at the restaurant at the Hilton. I had a mushroom and swiss burger. (I think the correct name of the burger was portabella and swiss).The cost of the burger was $12.00 with french fries.. My daughter had a hot dog with French Fries. $4.00.. The prices were high, but my burger was excellent. I would say every bite was worth $12.00.. Service was excellent too. The server was always there to give us refills of soda, and ask how the food was.

We ate breafast there the next day. I would personally never pay $9.95 for that breakfast. If it weren't for the free coupons.. I would have never went there. I left a good tip the previous night, but did not leave one at breakfast. The employees didn't do much of anything to deserve a tip. Most of them were standing around and talking to each other. We had to get up from our table and get our own refills, silverware, and napkins.

Channel selection on the TV was good, Bed was a little hard for my taste, but was OK.. Swimming pool was small, but at least this place had one. Many motels in downtown Minneapolis do not. The pool was open until Midnight. Many other places close down at 9.

I had a problem the next day. Our check out time was at Noon. Cleaning barged in while we were taking showers and getting dressed at 10:30. They knocked, and immediately opened the door. . I think my wife was half naked, I was naked. Whoever it was got a free show. I complained about it, they told me its company policy for cleaning to enter rooms in the event you check out early. If your going to stay, make sure you use the bar lock on the door..

I also did not like the fact that many there could not speak English. Before I checked out, I asked for a cart.. I had to aruge with the person working there that I did not need my car. I wanted a cart. I had to practiallly argue with the person that I wanted a CART and describe it to him.

I would have gave the place a 4 or a 5, if my room was ready on time, and cleaning hadn't barged in, and the price for parking was terrible.. Overall, The place was nice, appeared well taken care of.. and I got a decent sleep, a good dinner, and a free breakfast, most of it was good..

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We recently visited Minneapolis to catch a Vikings and Twins game and this place was conveniently located to both. The only con about this hotel was the parking, however, you are in downtown so it's to be expected. If you don't mind a short walk there is a parking garage a little further down from the hotel which we took advantage of and since we traveled on the weekend we didn't pay a parking fee. If not, expect to pay $20 for the valet service. The breakast was great...hot and fresh! Definately a place to consider again. Internet service was fast.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

I travel to Minneapolis from Orlando, FL once a year to attend a Vikings game and whenever I do I stay at this property. It is an absolutely beautiful hotel and the staff simply couldn't be anymore helpful or curteous. I'm not sure how new the hotel is but it is in pristine condition and not only has an excellent restaurant right on site but is in a wonderful location with many restaurants within walking distance. Whether going to a Vikings game or simply coming to Minneapolis to spend a fun weekend downtown I wouldn't stay anywhere else. I would recomment this property to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend while in town for a wedding. The front desk staff was very friendly and always seemed eager to serve. We had a king jacuzzi room. The room itself was very spacious, but the jacuzzi was quite small. The room was very clean, one of the cleanest I've seen. The bed was a bit hard, despite being adjustable, but we slept just fine. My father also complained of this in his room. The only parking option is valet, which is $24.

You can catch the Light Rail about 5 blocks away which will take you to the Mall of America as well as the airport. I believe there may be some other attractions nearby, but we were pretty much in and out for the weekend. We would absolutely stay here if ever in Minneapolis again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Was only staying for 2 nights, but what a pleasant stay. The staff were very helpful, and the lady behind the bar was able to reccommend a beer that suited my taste! The restaurant was good, with a fine selection of meals. The location is not the best, if you are after the nightlife, however, I was on business, so I preferred the quiet location. Regardless, good restaurants and nightlife are only a couple of blocks away.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

I had a business trip scheduled to Minneapolis in June. As a MN native, and Twins fan, I wanted to take in a game at the new ballpark. I frequently stay in Garden Inns, as I like their rooms, and appreciate the made to order breakfasts. Their website also mentioned it is the newest hotel in Minneapolis, which was a bonus. The location was ideal; near the convention center, walking distance to dining, Nicolett Mall, etc. I walked over to Nick's Sportsworld to pick up new Twins jersery, only to discover the Nick's had moved on (I hadn't been downtown in years).

I was surprised to discover that this particular location is one of GI's new "urban" concept hotels. Very modern, clean design--which to me always makes the room feel a litte bigger, and less cluttered than some hotel rooms can feel. WHile I didn't have an opportunity to eat in the restaurant, other than a couple breakfasts, every time I walked throught the lounge/restaurant to check scores on the tube, the staff asked if they could get me something. I also used their fitness center a couple of times, and found it to be very well equipped. Numberous treadmills & ellipticals, and dumbells up to 50 lbs--not something I've seen often in hotels

I did get to the Twins game with some family and friends. We all met at the hotel, and they shuttled us over for free--and dropped us off at the main entrance. You could also walk, but it had rained every day for a week, so didn't want to take any chances. They offered to pick us up, but we had plans after the game.

All and all, I really enjoyed this hotel, and would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the downtown area. Good location, good value!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown? Share your experiences!