“Great Hotel - Downtown Minneapolis” 5 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast Deal!
Ranked #1 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, Oregon
“Great Hotel - Downtown Minneapolis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I recently stayed at this Hilton Garden Inn located in downtown Minneapolis for five nights with my husband and two boys. We were in Minneapolis for a family event. We received a really good rate and I was pleasantly surprised by how modern and sleek the hotel is. The staff was attentive from the minute we pulled in, from the friendly valet who parked our car to the cheerful and quick moving staff at the front desk. The lobby is inviting with comfortable seating areas, a stylish contemporary gas fireplace and lots of natural light.

When we arrived we decided there would be no need to get adjoining rooms because a single room was spacious enough for all of us. Not only did it comfortably fit two queen sized beds but it had a separate seating area and a large, very modern bathroom. The kids loved the large-screen TV in the room. They also loved the hotel pool, which was spotless, never crowded and located in a glass-walled room that made us feel almost like we were outdoors. The pool toys were a nice touch too.

My husband and I both liked the exercise room, which had some good elliptical machines. The hotel was also very easy to find and in a great location, within a short walk of shops and restaurants on Nicollet Mall.

The thing I did not like about the hotel was the bar area near the restaurant seemed a little bit noisy one night and since I have young kids, I had to walk them by that area quickly.

During the day, though, we ate at the restaurant and had a great experience, including a full breakfast buffet every morning. My kids woke up looking forward to the fresh waffles, bacon and made-to-order eggs.

The staff at the hotel was very friendly, with the exception of a flippant bar tender who served my husband one night, and even though there were lots of business travelers staying there, we never felt out of place as a family.

My husband and I were really impressed with the hotel. My husband used to travel a lot for business and said this hotel was nearly comparable to any of the really expensive boutique hotels he has stayed at in other cities. Next time we come back for a family event we will definitely stay here. Anna (Portland)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

544 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

What a great hotel! My husband and I stayed here twice and both times were wonderful experiences. We stayed in the summer for a Twins game and on New Years Eve - the price was the same both times - cheap! The entire staff is eager to help - the doormen to get you cab, the front desk staff for a smooth check-in, the wait staff at breakfast - all top-notch.

The rooms are new, beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. They have "Serenity Collection" beds, Hilton’s version of the adjustable Sleep Number bed. Heaven; I slept like a rock. Even on NYE, our room was quiet.

This hotel is not centrally located in downtown, but Minneapolis is not a huge city; cab fare was $5 for us to get to our party at the IDS Tower. Given that this hotel is half the price of any other place in downtown worth staying in, I’m willing to pay $5 for a cab. The lightrail is about 6 blocks away; walking to the Metrodome or the new Twins stadium would be a bit more of a hike.

The hotel does not have free parking on site. You must use their $24/day valet. We chose to park at the Leamington lot which is less than 2 blocks from the hotel; prices vary by what is going on at the time. We had no security issues leaving our car there; the transit police park in the same garage.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel as long as you understand that it is a walk or cab ride to the downtown sites. For the price and quality, you can’t do better. I would highly recommend this to anyone going to a convention, as the Convention Center is extremely close. We will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Madison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

Brand new, downtown Minneapolis. Very good / clean. Great price. Only high cost item is valet, which is not really that bad, especially when you consider the price of the room.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here! Great location in downtown Minneapolis - close to fun restaurants and bars. Our room had a great view of the city. Very clean rooms and comfortable beds. Staff was great and helpful - they were able to help us navigate around the city easily! Would love to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

We had a great rate at this hotel as my boyfriend was attending a conference at the hotel. I came along and attended a Vikings playoff game with him. The hotel is new and very clean, though not luxurious. We had a nice view of the church across the street. Rooms came with free wifi and a microwave and mini fridge which was nice. There is a restaurant on property, though I did not eat at it. Neutrogena bath products were also provided.

We inquired about taking the Light Rail from the airport and having the shuttle pick us up at the Light Rail stop. The hotel said they did not do this, as I had read in previous reviews. I took the Super Shuttle for I believe $16 and it was no problem (I flew alone, meeting my boyfriend there). The Light Rail stop is about 6 blocks away I believe. We shared a cab back to the airport.

We came in January, and being from Florida, it was a bit too cold to really walk around much. We took cabs at night to restaurants. Cab fare was only $5 (apparently the minimum for downtown). We were able to walk back from the Metrodome to the hotel without a problem. I think you can find more centrally located hotels, but probably for a higher price.

This is a great hotel for a business traveler.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

free internet

decent food

complimentary coffee

free shuttle services

• Liked — great service & staff attitude
  • Disliked — food a little costly
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

Very pleased with this hotel, new, well kept, good gym, nice pool, and great staff, pantry and business center. Plus very green oriented.

Also amazing breakfast buffet along with its staff included.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown? Share your experiences!