“So-So Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Minneapolis

Save Saved
You added Hilton Minneapolis to your Saves list
Hilton Minneapolis
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Marquette Ave South, Minneapolis, MN 55403 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$89 Weekend Bundle!
Ranked #19 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Brooklyn, New York
“So-So Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This Hilton was just OK for me. I didnt feel like it was a 5star hotel. The rooms were So-So nothing fancy. The only highlights for me at this hotel was the Gym and the Breakfast in the Executive lounge (Gold & Diamonds members) Although they can change up the breakfast a bit instead of having oatmeal each day which got BORING!!! The location is very good. Connected to the skyway which pretty much takes you all over downtown. You are very close to nicollette Mall and tons of restaurants. I did manage to take the light rail to Mall of America which was an easy commute. The airport is also accessible from the light rail as well. No more then 40 min ride

Room Tip: I was in 2244 which had a great view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manager1001, Director of Food and Beverage at Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear AdventureDude718,
Thank you so much for your feedback. Like you, many of our guests find our location and accessibility in the city to be terrific. We are glad to hear you really liked our gym (which we recently added new, state of the art equipment) and Executive Lounge (which gives marvelous views of the city from the 25th floor).

The Breakfast we offer in Skywater restaurant and the Executive Lounge do continue to get great reviews as you gave, in fact Skywater is rated by Open Table dinners as a Top 10 location in the Twin Cities for Brunch. Although, based on your feedback for a need for more variety in the Executive Lounge, I will work with our Chef to see what other options we could provide in the for our Gold and Diamond members. If you have any specific ideas, feel free to call me directly at 612-397-4804.

Robert Sabin
Director of Food and Beverage

772 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

When u like the downtown location it's great to have a fancy hotel with a nice lobby, restaurant, amazing service (the doorman recommended going to keys for breakfast and it was sooo good) and the gym area and pool are so good. Really love it and was a nice surprise as we book our hotels on Hotwire and we always get a different place to try out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager1001, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our grand and fancy hotel! As you pointed out we have wonderful amenities in a great location of the city. I sincerely hope that you will come and stay with us again!

Have a wonderful day!

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Check-in was time consuming, I was told the computer system was old. Everything was satisfactory. Each time I made a request like a king size bed, Internet, or fridge, I was quoted a price. I'm not sure why 4 star hotels give you much less than lower star hotels. Anyway the rooms were large and the maid smiled so it was pleasant.

• Stayed March 2013
Manager1001, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I appreciate all guest feedback regarding their experiences in staying with us.

We are a full service hotel centrally located in downtown Minneapolis. Our location is within walking distance of many venues, restaurants and shopping. We are also conveniently located to public transportation to reach other areas of the city and metropolitan area.

Because we are a full service hotel, we do offer our ammenities in an ala carte style to cater to the needs of all of our guests so that they may personalize their stay with us. While we do charge for some of our amenities, we also provide many complimentary amenities in our hotel such as our high end fitness area, pool, and whirlpool area with separate locker rooms. We also provide complimentary internet in our lounge, restaurant, and lobby. Along with complimentary internet we also have our Connectivity Stations which provide complimentary access to PC's, MACs, printers, and the internet.

I apologize if you were not given all of the information regarding our amenities, both complimentary, and ala carte pricing. Your feedback will be used as a training tool to assist our team members in providing the high level of service that we have set for our hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback, I sincerely appreciate it.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I am here for a conference and had my iPad stolen from my room that was in my suitcase. Security said it was because I didn't put it in the safe in our room. The only ones in our room was the 3 of us and housekeeping. So frustrated and pissed!

• Stayed March 2013
Manager1001, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. Our team members take great pride in their jobs, their positions, and providing high quality guest service. We have a security department on property with staffing around the clock. I am aware that you are in direct contact, and working with our Director of Security regarding your experience with your stay.

Please call me directly in my office at 612.397.4801 to discuss your experience further or if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely

Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Hilton in downtown Minneapolis is a beautiful property, staffed by nice people. Upon arrival, I found that they didn't have the room I purchased available, so they offered to make one up for me, which would take 2 + hours. They gave us an interim room, which was nice enough, with a sweet view, so we unpacked and stayed. The room was not as clean as I would have wished, but it was passable. The beds were comfortable, and the floor, quiet. The workout area is unsurpassed, and the pool, very nice. The jacuzzi, clean and hot. The area is so convenient, just blocks from grocery and department stores, church, night clubs and dinner clubs. Overall, a lovely experience.

Sidenote: One way in which all hotels could make the stays more enjoyable, is to have larger televisions, with more gratis channels. Most people these days have massive entertainment systems at home, and hate to find a lesser experience on vacation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the visit to our wonderful city. As you noted, we have unsurpassed amenities, and a great location which is convenient to many venues, local shopping, and areas of the city.

I am glad you enjoyed your experience and I will certainly take a look into your suggestion about the television and entertainment centers.

Thank you for staying with us.

Sincerely.

Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel is centrally located and it has many restaurant options at walking distance. The room was clean and quite large (junior suite) with big windows and great view. The restroom was small compared to the room.
The air/heat system is noisy.
The breakfast in the executive floor lounge is nothing at all. I would say it's at the same level as the hampton inn.
Staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the great central location of our hotel and the walking access to the local venues, shopping, and restaurants.

I would like to hear more about the experience with your room and which room you were located in. We have a Property Operations Department on site who takes great care in maintaining our rooms. They would like to be able to inspect your room and the heating system that you mentioned. I would also like to gain any feedback that you may have regarding our Deluxe Continental Breakfast in the Executive Level Lounge. I would be interested to hear your recommendations and feedback on your experience there.

Please do not hesitate to reach me directly at my office by dialing 612.397.4801.

Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to hearing from you.

White Bear Lake, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My Fiance & I stayed here for a romantic evening downtown. We chose the Hilton because of the good deal we received online & we have never stayed at one before, we thought it would be higher class since it's a Hilton name.

We approached the Front Desk at check in & we greeted the Front Desk girl Mallory. She said "Hi" & we stated we would like to check in. I think she may have been new since another associate was helping her (which is fine). We also had locked our keys in the car prior to checking in. As Mallory was checking us in, my Fiance told the gentleman helping her that we locked our keys in our car, to that he replied "Oh." We asked if there was a place that did lockouts & he replied with "Yeah." We then asked what the name of the place was & if they had a phone number. After an eye-roll & heavy sigh, the male associate gave us a number to call. After Mallory got us checked in, we were not informed of the hotel having a pool, the fact that we were upgraded & also charged for it (we wanted an upgrade, but it would've been nice to know we were charged for that & also told we had received it), she stated our room number out loud & then asked "anything else?" We didn't need anything so we proceeded to find the elevators without any navigation as to where they would be.

Our room was an average size room with a great view though. We got settled in & dealt with the lockout company over the phone. We decided to wander around the hotel seeing what amenities it had. We found the Executive Floor Lounge we were allowed to use. There wasn't any guidance as to what exactly this lounge was or what was going to be charged to your room/Credit Card. We decided on some Wine & a Beer & after finding out there was a cost, we told the Bartender to charge it to the room (since they already put a $50 hold on our Credit Card), which was actually not charged to the room, but in addition to that $50 hold. The drinks were decent, but the Bartender was very pushy trying to convince us to keep a tab open until 10PM, even when we were leaving the hotel for a few hours, we closed it out since we saw this as a red flag.

We went to the Parking Garage & in the area we were at there was alot of littler, possibly from people emptying their car trash. Our car wouldn't start, so we started working under the hood. About 20 minutes into our car repair, someone dressed as a maintenance person or security, (we had no idea since there wasn't any identification besides some abbreviated name on the shirt of his chest) came over to us & said "What's the deal here?!" We proceeded to explain our car troubles, with a reply from this man of "Oh, don't know what to tell ya'." He then walked away. My Fiance is a smoker & there wasn't anything posted about not smoking in the Parking Ramp, we looked around for quite awhile before we had checked out the next day. We messed around with our car later on after walking around the city a bit. The same Parking Ramp guy came up to us stating "I'm gonna have to ask you to rap this up here." We told him we didn't know what the issue was & if he had any tools or anything. He replied with "Nope." He then walked away. We were sitting in the front seat of our car with the doors open, he then approached again (about 5 minutes after the most recent appearance) & told my Fiance that he would have to "extinguish his smoking & that it's the city law that you can't smoke in a Parking Ramp." We aren't from around the area & the last we knew, you CAN smoke in your CAR. He threatened to call the police if we didn't stop smoking.

During the day of checkout, we were awakened at 7am to a sink being repaired in the room next door to us, saws & hammers mostly. We returned the keys to the Front Desk & waited around for the tow company to arrive. When we asked the Front Desk if we could leave the car for a few hours, they replied saying they will be charging us another $13 for parking (even though it wasn't overnight). There was gallon pictures of water for hotel guests to drink from, which were empty for over a half hour, while a bell hop, three Front Desk Agents & Valet stood around talking to eachother. We were not asked how our stay was, we were never greeted with a smile & were never told of amenities. At checkout, guests in front of us that were "Hilton Honors" Members, did receive smiles though & asked how their stay was.

When we got back home, I realized a piece of my jewelry was missing, I never should have set it down in the room. I called the hotel asking if any Housekeepers found anything. I was told by Mallory "Housekeeping has forwarded their calls. They'll call you back in 5 minutes." I never received a phone call. After working & managing multiple hotels, I know from personal experience & also being trained certain ways, that alot of hotels will tell you that someone will call the guest back, but in all actuality they toss whatever is left in the room or just keep it.

I've learned from this trip, to check out hotels online for reviews, to never assume something is great or up to a certain standard simply because it's a name brand & to never take off my Engagement Ring before showering in a hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed response regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate all of our guest feedback, and the details of your stay will help us as a training opportunity for our staff. I would like to sincerely apologize to you for your experience in regard to the service from some of our staff members. We have set a very high standard of service at our hotel, as you suggested, and expected from a Hilton. It sounds as if these service standards were not met completely during your stay. Rest assured that I have spoken directly to the department managers concerning your experience and the feedback that you have given. I am disappointed to hear that our staff was not more accommodating and helpful during a time that must have been stressful given the problems that you were having with your vehicle.

I would also like to speak about your experience in the parking ramp. While the ramp is located under our hotel, it is not owned by the hotel or staffed with our team members. The ramp is owned by the city and is managed and staffed by a parking company. While there are smoking policies and laws in place, I do feel that the person you engaged with in the ramp could also have been more accommodating and helpful in your situation. I will also be expressing this to the management of the ramp.

I would be happy to discuss your experience further, and would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel. Please call me directly in my office at 612.397.4801. I look forward to discussing this with your further.

Sincerely

John E. Luke

Been to Hilton Minneapolis? Share your experiences!