“I wouldn't recommend it even to my worst enemy.” 1 of 5 stars

Minneapolis International Hostel
You added Minneapolis International Hostel to your Saves list
Minneapolis International Hostel
2400 Stevens Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404   |
“I wouldn't recommend it even to my worst enemy.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

When we came back to the hostel late at nigh heating wasn't working and it WASFREEZING.we had to sleep with our street winter clothes on.so we complained and they replied that Minnesota winter is that cold and it happens wherever you go. Blankets provided are stinky,filthy and antihygienic.And also not warmer enough. In the same way as pillows and The bath courtain. Spiderwebs all around the room. We told them to clean the bathroom and he just came and swiped a paper towel to clean up some hair remaoning on the sink.

No Staff on the front desk until 11 am and you were charged 10$ for caring your luggage in the office. Noone at night either who to contact with if there is any problem nor any phone number available where to call.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed in this hostel for two nights and it was great. It's an old house that's been converted into a hostel but is still furnished the reflect the original era it came from. The rooms were good, the bathroom was a bit dodgy- you could tell it hadn't been renovated in a very long time, perhaps since the house was built-, the kitchen was huge and easy to use and it was in a relatively good location. You could catch a bus from just down the road straight into downtown Minneapolis. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I stayed in a four-bed female dorm and it was great.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
West Jordan, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Realizing that Minneapolis International Hostel IS a hostel and not a motel / hotel - I booked my reservation on good faith that it would accommodate my needs / requirements. It is definitely the cheapest accommodations in the Minneapolis area and you're probably not going to locate any other location that provides a bed and shower for less money than the Hostel. I do disclaim that I had NEVER stayed in a hostel before. Thus, my review of this Hostel is based upon its own merit, and I am unable to compare this Hostel to any other hostels. My first peeve of my experience is that vehicle parking is extremely limited. The web site for the Hostel indicates that parking is free and plenty. However, the vehicle parking is somewhat limited to the city streets of Stevens & 24th Street and EVERYONE in the general community parks along these streets. I could usually park my rental vehicle within a short walking distance of the Hostel, but there were two times that I had to park a long distance away from the Hostel. My second peeve was that there was approximately two feet of spacing between the beds, where I would be subjected to having to smell the breath of the sleeping person next to me. My third peeve was that there was one full bathroom in the room for six people. There was no room / hooks, or otherwise to hang the wet towel, or wash cloth to dry. My fourth peeve was that there was no cleanliness standard within the rooms. Three of the Hostel roommates had their personal belongings scattered all over their respective areas, without any regard to the cleanliness of the room for the other roommates. My fifth peeve was that there was only one television for the entire Hostel. This particular Hostel has at least twenty guest beds and one television for twenty people isn't quite adequate. On the positive side, there is free WiFi internet that seemed to work at all times and was relatively high speed. There is one community desktop computer that anyone can use. I did not have the need to use the community desktop computer, but I found that it was generally open and available to use at any time. The kitchen and dining area was immaculate in general cleanliness and there were several dishes / cooking utensils and other cooking tools to use. The refrigerator was clean and organized. During my stay, I had heard that the location of the Hostel is in the "bad part" of town, but I found that to be a very subjective opinion. I found that the local people were very cordial, helpful and appreciative to assist. During my stay and walks around the vicinity, I never felt fearful, unwelcome, awkward, or threatened by the locals. I can only suppose that the statements made against the local people are those that have tendency to speak on their own opinions, without knowing. The Hostel is located nearby many eateries and small retail outlets. There are many fantastic eateries and coffee shops in the area and a McDonald's nearby. Overall - the Hostel is a decent place to maintain a bed and shower, but it does lack some Space and Cleanliness issues. If I were to recommend this Hostel on budget requirements - I would definitely give a thumbs up, but if I were to recommend this Hostel on the overall space and cleanliness - I would have to give a thumbs down.

Room Tip: If you're budget wise, choose and select the cheapest available room for your gender / stay. The...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mountain Lake, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

The only hotel room that I could find close to Abbott Northwestern hospital was $319 per night. I hadn't stayed in hostels before but I know that they are frequented by mostly young people looking for inexpensive accommodations--not for hotel amenities. What I got was space in a 4 bed dormitory that shared a bathroom with another women's dorm, for $33/night. The house is old, needs work to be brought up to hotel standards, but then the rates would go up. I needed a bed, got clean sheets, pillowcases and a towel. Shampoo, soap, etc? Bring your own. This is a hostel providing a cheap bed. The kitchen was available but as I was there only to sleep, I didn't use it. The back steps and sidewalk were crumbly and that repair would be a suggestion of mine. Leaving by the back door? Not a problem. I did have to snicker at the "eviction" signs, but they left no doubt about whether I should try opening the front door!! If you want a grand hotel, go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hamilton, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I visited Minneapolis in December of 2011 to go to a football game at the Metrodome. I stayed in this hostel as it is one of the only options for really cheap accomodation. It is a large house and I was one of only three guests at the time.

I have stayed in hostels around the world and found my self very disappointed in this hostel. The cleanliness was off the charts in a bad way. I did not spend much time in the room and did my best to ensure that none of my clothes or items touched the carpet, which is in dire need of a vaccuuming. There were also random hairs and stains on the bedding I was given. As I was alone I received a single room on the third floor. I am only 5'8" tall and the room appeared to be in an attic of some sort as I was only able to stand up straight when standing directly under the skylight.

The location is not horrible as it is near bus lines and Nicollet Mall, but the cleanliness of the rooms is just too much of a downside for me to recommend this place.

Room Tip: I got the single on the third floor. I'm 5'8" and was unable to stand up straight.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I was actually really impressed with this hostel. With all the bad reviews I was prepared for the worst, but it was really cool! I met a lot of cool people from different countries and the amenities were almost exactly as advertized. I would definitely stay in the girls dorm room here again.

Room Tip: Go for the dorms!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Maui, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Do not stay at this hostel unless you are flat broke!
Staff are untraveled and know nothing about hostels! They are lazy and unfriendly; working for a room exchange. Very little information is provided. No coffee, no heat on the first floor, dirty floors, over flowing trash cans, and no blinds on more than half the windows.
Hot water is hit or miss. The girls private dorm is through the Men's 15 bed dorm. Rude signs up everywhere telling people "they will be evicted if.." Staff charges you for watching your bag. Kicks people out within minutes. We were even told that we could not go into the kitchen and cook because the staff girl wanted to have her friends over for drinks!
Charlie the manager is a complete jerk! I heard his only job experience before this one was packing up dog food. he should of stayed in that profession.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Minneapolis International Hostel? Share your experiences!