“Great Value Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Inn

Save Saved
You added University Inn to your Saves list
University Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   925 4th Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (University / Dinkytown)   |
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Napier, New Zealand
“Great Value Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The University Inn is a few blocks away from the Uof M and Dinkytown. It likely began it's life as a dorm as it has the sixties cinder-block internal walls. That being said the rooms are very tidy and pretty well equipped with microwave, stove and full size fridge. Wi-fi connectivity was excellent and there is ample parking. It works a great central hub for a visit to the twin cities.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the car pack as it is quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is an extended stay hotel primarily for faculty visiting UM. There are few amenities but there is a good location 4 blocks from dinkytown (6 blocks from campus), and there is a full kitchen. Otherwise the highlights are unusually good HVAC and wifi.

Room Tip: note that 2nd floor is entirely walkup
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights and I have to say it was great. Having never been in Minneapolis, I had no idea where to stay and struggled with making a choice. I was leaning towards a downtown hotel (for no particular reason) but didn't want to pay for parking when I came across the University Inn. From their website it looked like it had character and from views on Google maps it looked to be in a nice area. After staying here, I can say that I don't think I could have made a better choice for our trip! The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and we loved the location. It is on the edge of Dinkytown, a great little area with cafes, coffee shops and restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable with a kitchenette complete with microwave, stove and full size refrigerator. It also turned out to have Wi-Fi, which we hadn't expected, based on previous reviews (and great Wi-Fi I might add). I booked the room by calling the hotel directly. They were very friendly and gave me a better rate than advertised anywhere, and I didn’t have to prepay. And yes, they have a parking lot, no charge!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Loved this hotel. great place, neat room, good service, great lactation - close to the downtown, yet in the quaint. . great small urban hotel.

will be back - found a new place to stay when we come back.

and to boot... FREE PARKING

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here with my three college buddies while visiting University of Minnesota for a football game. It was perfect for us: a good sized room with a little kitchenette. It was nothing fancy, but for four guys in their upper 20s the value could not be beat. Short walk to campus/the stadium/restaurants/bars.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Greendale, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Room 106:8/29-8/30/2012
Sink drain didn't seal.Had to fill 4-5 times to shave.
Tub filled w/3" of water during shower. Took 5 minutes to drain.
Toilet handle had to be pulled up for toilet to refill.
A/C compressor,when operated at 100%, vibrated both beds during the night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My only regret is that my family and I did not stay here on our last visit to Minneapolis. I was dissuaded in particular by previous reviews that reported rooms that were noisy, dirty, or smell, and poor service.

I couldn't believe I was in the same place as the negative reviews. This is one of the most comfortable hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. The bed was extremely comfortable. The room is spacious, as is the bathroom. Everything was clean, especially the inside of the full-size refrigerator.

Service? It depends on what you mean. No they do not provide daily maid service, but I find that more of a nuisance than a plus. I rate the staff tops for service based on their general friendliness, willingness to offer helpful information, and also the generosity of the night clerk who gave me a bottle of water from his own stash (refusing payment) when I inquired if there was another drink machine because the one I had tried was out of water.

The walls are made of cinder blocks. I have not heard my neighbors. There is some noise from cars traveling down a busy street, but it did not bother me. I didn't even notice it until I re-read other reviews before writing this one.

The full kitchen is great.

True, they do not offer wi-fi in the rooms, but the wired Internet service is great, and they loan Ethernet cables to guests who need them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to University Inn? Share your experiences!