“Great location, friendly service, cannot beat the value” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added University Inn to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
University Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   925 4th Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (University / Dinkytown)   |
Ranked #33 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Chicago
“Great location, friendly service, cannot beat the value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here with my three college buddies while visiting University of Minnesota for a football game. It was perfect for us: a good sized room with a little kitchenette. It was nothing fancy, but for four guys in their upper 20s the value could not be beat. Short walk to campus/the stadium/restaurants/bars.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Greendale, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Room 106:8/29-8/30/2012
Sink drain didn't seal.Had to fill 4-5 times to shave.
Tub filled w/3" of water during shower. Took 5 minutes to drain.
Toilet handle had to be pulled up for toilet to refill.
A/C compressor,when operated at 100%, vibrated both beds during the night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My only regret is that my family and I did not stay here on our last visit to Minneapolis. I was dissuaded in particular by previous reviews that reported rooms that were noisy, dirty, or smell, and poor service.

I couldn't believe I was in the same place as the negative reviews. This is one of the most comfortable hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. The bed was extremely comfortable. The room is spacious, as is the bathroom. Everything was clean, especially the inside of the full-size refrigerator.

Service? It depends on what you mean. No they do not provide daily maid service, but I find that more of a nuisance than a plus. I rate the staff tops for service based on their general friendliness, willingness to offer helpful information, and also the generosity of the night clerk who gave me a bottle of water from his own stash (refusing payment) when I inquired if there was another drink machine because the one I had tried was out of water.

The walls are made of cinder blocks. I have not heard my neighbors. There is some noise from cars traveling down a busy street, but it did not bother me. I didn't even notice it until I re-read other reviews before writing this one.

The full kitchen is great.

True, they do not offer wi-fi in the rooms, but the wired Internet service is great, and they loan Ethernet cables to guests who need them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stay at University Inn on a fairly routine basis in the fall. The negative review on tripadvisor was NOT for UI but for the University Hotel, the former Ramada Inn close to TCF. This is a no-frills, clean, great value with free parking in Dinkytown.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Rochester, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel, very near the U of MN/Minneapolis campus is a fine hotel if you don't need amenities. I mean there is no in-room wifi, the TV remote control didn't work well, and the channels are limited, and the front doors lock at 6pm. But it also has a full kitchen (full sized refrigerator, cooktop, dishes, etc). It also has a built in hair dryer. There IS wifi in the lounge. And the room was spacious. The room walls are partly concrete (nicely painted) and that interferes with in-room wifi. The price is far less than area hotels. So overall - this is a nice place for the price. Note it is next to fraternities and sororities (not known for quiet nights). We heard some noise in the early evening (8pm) but none after 9pm. I'm not sure if we were just lucky. I doubt there was a pool and there was no restaurant (some starches were available for breakfast).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was searching for a good place to stay in Minneapolis and found all the "usual" hotels booked for the week of my visit. Read about this place and took a chance out of desperation. Instead of paying 200 a night for a named hotel, I paid 67 dollars. They only have rooms with 1 queen bed, so keep this in mind. For the price, I got a VERY comfortable bed, microwave, full size fridge, stove, pots and dishes, and the usual iron and board etc. (When I checked in, the ironing board was broken, but five minutes later it was also replaced, with a smile and apology.) The owner lives on site and security in fantastic. If you're visiting the University of Minn, this is perfect for either east or west campus. Dinky Town, the restaurant outside the campus, is a mile away. Don't throw your money away for a ROOM at a big name hotel, get a small appartment for less. For this price, if you need more room, get TWO rooms. You'll still save money and be more comfortable. I'll be going back next year. No pool or dining.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Amherst, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I had business downtown and needed a hotel for a week at the last minute, and the University Inn was an amazingly lucky find. Very affordable, especially considering I booked less than 12 hours before I checked in. It's literally feet away from the 35W on-ramps for North and Southbound. Just go south to go over the bridge and you're on Washington Ave. headed downtown.

The hotel seems to have been recently renovated - the hallways were clean and the room was well laid out. A nice big space, half was for the bed, desk, armchair and half for the kitchen and bathroom. The bathroom was big and clean, what more can you ask? The kitchen featured a full-size fridge, a little sink, 2-burner electric range, microwave and toaster. Plus two full settings of dishes, silverware, pots and pans and a drying rack. Even ice cube trays in the freezer - in short everything I needed for my impromptu week stay.

One nice surprise for me was how soft the towels were. I know it seems like a small thing but I get to sick of scratchy hotel towels, don't you? Staff were friendly and helpful, and the room had a binder full of great info about the neighborhood and such that was really useful to me.

The first two nights were very quiet, after that a big busload of tourists showed up and I found out that the plumbing for the room upstairs made kind of a lot of noise in my room, so that was not as nice, but really no big deal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to University Inn? Share your experiences!