“Very nice shape, perfect location for downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Inn

You added University Inn to your Saves list
University Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   925 4th Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (University / Dinkytown)   |
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Very nice shape, perfect location for downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I had business downtown and needed a hotel for a week at the last minute, and the University Inn was an amazingly lucky find. Very affordable, especially considering I booked less than 12 hours before I checked in. It's literally feet away from the 35W on-ramps for North and Southbound. Just go south to go over the bridge and you're on Washington Ave. headed downtown.

The hotel seems to have been recently renovated - the hallways were clean and the room was well laid out. A nice big space, half was for the bed, desk, armchair and half for the kitchen and bathroom. The bathroom was big and clean, what more can you ask? The kitchen featured a full-size fridge, a little sink, 2-burner electric range, microwave and toaster. Plus two full settings of dishes, silverware, pots and pans and a drying rack. Even ice cube trays in the freezer - in short everything I needed for my impromptu week stay.

One nice surprise for me was how soft the towels were. I know it seems like a small thing but I get to sick of scratchy hotel towels, don't you? Staff were friendly and helpful, and the room had a binder full of great info about the neighborhood and such that was really useful to me.

The first two nights were very quiet, after that a big busload of tourists showed up and I found out that the plumbing for the room upstairs made kind of a lot of noise in my room, so that was not as nice, but really no big deal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Near impossible to find a fair price downtown, this place, just north, at the doorsteps of U of M, is a real find. The proximity to the college means it is right near a strip of bars and grills that cater to the students, (Cheap food and drink), it was a lot of fun. The hotel itself is designed for longer stays and 9,000 of us need a week long stay. It's clean. It's comfortable. It made our stay a success. It lacks a full hot breakfast, but juice and pastries set us out each morning ok. To get a hotel with breakfast, I would have to pay much more than the price of the breakfast. It had no pool, but few did. It served our purposes well. If you have a car, it is close to everything, if not, the buss is right at the corner. Thanks to the staff that made everything so nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for a family wedding. The location is great--easily navigated from I94 and in a fun, university neighborhood. The shuttle made getting to the reception site a breeze. I used a Groupon and the staff were welcoming and took extra care to see that we received all that had been promised. There was a mistake on our bill at checkout and it was resolved promptly and courteously. My only complaint was the fact that we could clearly hear conversations in the hallway when trying to fall asleep.

• Stayed January 2012
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

My son attends the U of Minn, and this is the most convenient hotel in terms of location. The staff is very friendly and the hotel offers a great rate for parents of students and alumni association members. Some parts are a bit dated and you can hear the plumbing in neighboring rooms, but the price and convenience make up for that.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Canton, South Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

The hotel is in the middle of fraternity row. We stayed during homecoming weekend and it wasn't actually too bad.
We stayed there as we couldn't find a hotel near the Amplatz Children's hospital that wasn't charging $215/night. The hotel staff were immediately accomadating. Helping us with the rate and being caring and helpful. Our baby was having a very difficult and stressful surgery and we were just looking for a place to lay our heads at night. We were astounded by the staff's helpfullness and caring.
The hotel is not white glove clean, no. But it was certainly clean, and nice. It was not the Radisson, but we really enjoyed it. I preferred this hotel over a lot of hotels we have stayed at. It was quiet, it was clean. No ice machines, elevators, kids running up and down the halls, no pool smells. It was a great place to just relax and sleep.
If you are in need of a place to stay to relax this is the place. And you won't be charged an arm and a leg for all the silly "amenties" the big name hotels have.
Stayed Oct 2011 for over a week

Room Tip: We stayed in a room near the front door and one on 2nd floor at the end of the hall. Both were quiet...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
berkeley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

The location of this hotel is not bad, this is also quite cheap. However, I spend a terrible week there. The hotel is definitely too noisy. Not that the guests are particularly noisy people, but the bathrooms (air ventilation and shower) are extremely noisy. I basically woke up every morning around 5:30 because someone was taking a shower.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to University Inn? Share your experiences!