“overall good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Inn

Save Saved
You added University Inn to your Saves list
University Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   925 4th Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 (University / Dinkytown)   |
Special Rate
Saturdays starting @ $69!
Ranked #24 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here for a family wedding. The location is great--easily navigated from I94 and in a fun, university neighborhood. The shuttle made getting to the reception site a breeze. I used a Groupon and the staff were welcoming and took extra care to see that we received all that had been promised. There was a mistake on our bill at checkout and it was resolved promptly and courteously. My only complaint was the fact that we could clearly hear conversations in the hallway when trying to fall asleep.

• Stayed January 2012
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

My son attends the U of Minn, and this is the most convenient hotel in terms of location. The staff is very friendly and the hotel offers a great rate for parents of students and alumni association members. Some parts are a bit dated and you can hear the plumbing in neighboring rooms, but the price and convenience make up for that.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Canton, South Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

The hotel is in the middle of fraternity row. We stayed during homecoming weekend and it wasn't actually too bad.
We stayed there as we couldn't find a hotel near the Amplatz Children's hospital that wasn't charging $215/night. The hotel staff were immediately accomadating. Helping us with the rate and being caring and helpful. Our baby was having a very difficult and stressful surgery and we were just looking for a place to lay our heads at night. We were astounded by the staff's helpfullness and caring.
The hotel is not white glove clean, no. But it was certainly clean, and nice. It was not the Radisson, but we really enjoyed it. I preferred this hotel over a lot of hotels we have stayed at. It was quiet, it was clean. No ice machines, elevators, kids running up and down the halls, no pool smells. It was a great place to just relax and sleep.
If you are in need of a place to stay to relax this is the place. And you won't be charged an arm and a leg for all the silly "amenties" the big name hotels have.
Stayed Oct 2011 for over a week

Room Tip: We stayed in a room near the front door and one on 2nd floor at the end of the hall. Both were quiet...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
berkeley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

The location of this hotel is not bad, this is also quite cheap. However, I spend a terrible week there. The hotel is definitely too noisy. Not that the guests are particularly noisy people, but the bathrooms (air ventilation and shower) are extremely noisy. I basically woke up every morning around 5:30 because someone was taking a shower.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Winona, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Room was clean when we arrived with refrigerator, stove and microwave. Dishes even provided. Don't expect a maid during your stay, if you need towels changed ask at desk.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bennington, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Hotel has one (main entrance) - have to swing into far lane after turning left to access driveway. Parking lot is fenced; overlooks interstate on west, neighborhoods on other directions. Access to lobby is card-controlled.

Wonderful nighttime receptionist. Gave me good driving directions to a local grocery and how to get to the other side of the Mississippi River and downtown Mpls for sightseeing after work. Promptly got me things for the kitchenette that hadn't been stocked. No elevator, but steps were broad and wide and easy to navigate to the 2nd (highest) floor.

This is an extended stay hotel. They charge for all nights reserved when you check in, rather that when you check out. (More later) They will take out trash - if notified - at no charge. "Refresh service" for towels, etc. is $5. Room was a studio apartment with kitchenette, sitting/dining area, bed, small closet, tv and work space. I had to borrow a CAT-V cable; the wi-fi doesn't get through the cinder block walls. With the A/C on, most sounds from the interstate were muffled; no noises heard on either side of me, just through the door.

Top of refrigerator, inside of microwave, kitchenette and bathroom floors needed more cleaning than they'd received before I arrived. (Floors were dusty along the edges and under fixtures.) I cleaned the m/w and fridge top with the kitchenette supplies and showed the floors to the manager. Cupboards held pans, flatware, dish rack, bowls, plates and glasses. No storage room for food - needed the top of the fridge to store my food (which explains why I noticed the dust on top and cleaned it). Fridge was full sized, with freezer, and spotless.

Bed was comfortable and had choice of pillows. Comforter was the kind that's inserted into a comforter cover which can be taken off and washed. Not really needed during the summer, but was attractive.

Breakfast provided by the hotel was packaged pastries and juice. I can't speak to the quality of any of them - I had my own food. Access to intercampus shuttle and bus service was an easy 2 blocks away. Construction in the area and the one way streets made traffic more of a nightmare than Mpls traffic normally is.

Was able to wrap up my business 2 days early and go home. The hotel promised to refund my credit card within 2 business days - and did so.

While this wasn't the 4 Seasons in Times Square, it suited my needs admirably. Fridge & microwave, Internet access, (mostly) quiet room and close to mass transportation. It's less expensive than most of the hotels/motels in the U of M area; I really got my value's worth. It really did remind me of my dorm room in college, minus the roommate with the weird taste in music.

Room Tip: Ask for room on east side of building, away from the Interstate.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to University Inn? Share your experiences!