“Green Hotel Highlights” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“Green Hotel Highlights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Choose the Aloft Minneapolis to stay overnight in Minn. - mostly because I've read so much about the cool design and green initiatives. Price was right as well. Oh and yes - it is dog friendly!

I've read other reviews that called it the low-cost version of a W hotel. And yes, in some ways it reminded me of a W - small room, well designed and thought out elements. We were very impressed for the most part. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Room was tasteful with an element of fun. Especially loved the design of the bathroom and wash area. Green elements included bulk amenity dispensers - no more mini plastic bottles clogging the landfills! - recycling in the room (though not well labeled at all...), a one stop docking station for all your electronics, and a great incentive program to NOT use housekeeping (saving water and valuable resources)... You get Starwood Points for every night you forego housekeeping! Brilliant!

And added to the package - great location in the Warehouse District with the Guthrie right around the corner! Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you haven't stayed at aloft, you might just have to find a reason to...Everything about aloft Minneapolis screams hip and happ. The neighborhood is up and coming, the staff of the hotel is nice and helpful, and the rooms are efficient and comfortable. But it's the vibe that you get walking through the lobby at midnight that makes you feel young and cool, even when you're the oldest people there! We returned to the hotel after an evening with friends to find the lobby hopping with people, having conversations in any of a number of gathering spots including an uber swanky outdoor patio area. It wasn't a feeling of chaos or an overly busy party atmosphere, rather, a welcoming scene of young people chilling out in a very modern, funky environment. It made me so happy that I had made the choice to book this hotel. I spent more time than usual going over every inch of the room, fascinated by the space saving efficiency and wondering who might have designed such a gem of a chain. Every inch of the place had a plan and a purpose. The bed was comfy, complete with two big bolster pillows which made you want to lounge longer than you had time to. In fact, I've decided there simply wasn't enough time to fully enjoy this hotel! A return visit is a must! Indoor pool, whirlpool, workout room, outdoor patio, bar, snack area.....all of these things need to be further investigated by me, but looked fabulous. Loved aloft! Had fun staying here! We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Nice view from higher room. We could see the river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business and found the hipster vibe and modern design refreshing. My standard room was very small but laid out thoughtfully, with tasteful yet functional design elements like hooks instead of a closet, shelves instead of a dresser, a sink that sits on top of the counter, wall-mounted dispensers for shampoo, soap, etc. rather than little bottles, and translucent glass in the shower that let natural light through. This modern style is not for everyone but it didn't bother me. In fact, I rather liked it. The neighborhood seems good and there are several decent restaurants within walking distance.

There were a few negatives of my room and the property in general:
The desk chair was too short for the desk and the height could not be adjusted.
The toilet was leaking and would refill with water every few minutes.
The *closet* was not tall enough to hang pants without folding them.
There is no proper restaurant in the hotel. Instead, they have an assortment of junk food and hot-plate items that are generally pretty awful tasting as well as unhealthy.
Although my company paid for the room, I still thought it was a bit high ($160) considering everything.

I think if you like the noveau hipster scene and you can get a better rate than I did, I think the Aloft could be a good choice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This was my first visit to the funky Aloft brand of hotels, a “vision” of the upmarket W Hotel chain. The hotel is said to be “fresh, fun and forward-thinking” – it’s certainly a bit different and mostly it worked.

In Minneapolis, the Aloft is located on the edge of downtown close to the Mill City historic quarter and new Guthrie Theater. There are some attractive restored historic buildings and shops (including grocery) nearby, but also several empty building lots. Access is easy with the Metro Blue Line tram about ten minutes’ walk and good road access. Downtown is a little further but still quite close. The hotel runs a free shuttle bus for rides within five miles.

The lobby has a bright and cheerful design with helpful and pleasant staff. There is an open bar and lounge, pool table, internet access and shop with range of drinks and snacks.

The room was a very good size and comfortable. The bed was great and there was ample desk space, storage for clothes, empty fridge, coffee maker, large safe, huge tv, etc. The bathroom was also spacious with Bliss branded toiletries. I liked how it was possible to forego daily housekeeping in exchange for a $5 voucher or 250 Starpoints.

Free wifi internet access is available, which is welcome for a downtown upmarket hotel, although I found it quite slow at times and my iPhone often had difficulty connecting, so some improvement is needed.

The food offer is slightly odd. There is no restaurant, but snacks can be bought in the Wxyz bar or purchased in the re:fuel shop. There is limited seating for eating a meal. Of course, there are plenty of eat-out options in the evening, but breakfast seemed a rather unsatisfactory affair, eating an egg-and-bacon muffin out of a silver foil wrapper perched on a bar stool amidst multi-coloured lights.

Overall, a great room and good staff, but be aware of the limited food option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Came to town for a wedding and this is where the wedding guests stayed. It's a simple hotel with not a lot of extras but it had absolutely everything we needed. If you need room service and lots of restaurants in your hotel, this isn't the place but otherwise, this place had everything for us. Great location near the Guthrie Theater where we went one night and an easy walk or drive everywhere else. I've read the other reviews and if you're expecting a $250/night room, then that's what you need to pay. The room was bright, airy and plenty of room. Really well organized layout and we had a great view.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at aloft Minneapolis, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
We greatly appreciate your review-thank you for sharing. We are delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay with us and you enjoyed our hotel's amenities, convenient location and amazing city views. Our hotel team works diligently to make all our guests feel welcome and at home. We hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you are in Minneapolis. Thanks again and take care!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Par for the course, this Aloft is bright, clean and the staff is friendly. The location is about a 10 minute walk from the lite rail metro, making traversing the city a snap. The room was clean and smelled fresh with the minimal Aloft furnishings. Free wifi and a decent gym make it the perfect quick stop hotel. Within walking distance to multiple restarauts and very close the the stadium.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you so very much for your review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of our hotel's amenities. We hope to see you again the next time you are in town.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I tried booking a room at the Aloft for a client and it was the worst experience I've ever had from a hotel. I called in numerous times for days and spoke to so many different people because the manager was never there-the one who had the power to over-ride a room rate since the hotel was full. After calling in for days I was finally able to get a hold of a manager who said after all my work, they would only be able to give us the room at an elevated price. I booked it for fear that it was already so close to the arrival of the client that it would be hard to find another hotel. Immediately after finding a different hotel at a reasonable price I called in to cancel and received a cancellation email. The following Monday, I received another email confirming the same reservation. I called the hotel to explain to them that I already canceled and had the cancellation email and the person I spoke to on the phone was extremely rude. She said I had two minutes to cancel otherwise there would be a charge and that someone on Saturday had called in to re-book the room. I asked the client if he had done it and he said no-we were the only two people to know about this-so I'm assuming it had come from a manager at the hotel who got the regualar 119 rate but never called us to inform us of this. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at aloft Minneapolis, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. We regret to hear that you experienced these issues while trying to book and cancel. We've made sure to address this with our team to ensure issues like this do not occur again. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you, again thank you for your review and take care.

Been to aloft Minneapolis? Share your experiences!