“Pretty nice property!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Pretty nice property!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed here while attending a wedding in MSP using Marriott reward points. My room was on the 8th floor with a King bed and view of the office building across the street (nothing special). The bathroom was fabulous with a large glass enclosed walk-in shower and large shower head. The bed wasn't the most comfy - it kind of bounced as you moved around and didn't seem to have a pillow-top. The front desk made excellent recommendations for dinner and brunch. We parked about 3 blocks away in a garage that only cost $4.00 per night which was awesome!!! The only downside to the weekend was when cigarette smoke entered our room during the night - likely due to the fact that someone was smoking in a bathroom near ours. That said, we did notice a lot of college types entering the elevators carrying cases of cheap beer which surprised us for the type of hotel this is. Not sure I would stay here again with so many other high end hotels near by. Highlight of the trip was the shower and cheap parking nearby!

Room Tip: Park overnight at Allied Parking, Inc., 501 S 4th Ave for $4.00 (only 3 blocks from Hotel)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Noblesville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Minneapolis for a friends wedding and it was an enjoyable experience. We arrived early with another couple at around 10:30am and the hotel was able to check us in early which was a nice considering we had spent most of the morning in airports and needed to freshen up.

The hotel is about 2 blocks from the light rail in Minneapolis which runs directly to the Mall of America and the airport so the hotel is conveniently located downtown.

We had the standard King room which was nice. The shape of the building means that most of the rooms are all different sizes. Our room was the same as our friends however we had a recliner while they didn't. The rooms are appointed in modern finishes including the bathroom. The best thing about the bathroom is the large tile shower which is massive. It really classes up the room and offers lots of room to move around. The only thing about the room that wasn't great was the comfortable was frayed and torn in multiple spots. It was an eye sore and kept me from rating this property higher.

Overall the lobby was very nice and all staff we encountered were very pleasant. The restaurant offered a very good breakfast buffet and offers a bar however we didn't use it. Note that this property only offers valet parking at $30 a day so if you can avoid parking at the hotel do so to save yourself some money.

The property was very nice and it was perfect for what our group needed. I would recommend this property for anyone needed to come to downtown Minneapolis!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This hotel was recommended to me for its convenience to other activities in downtown Minneapolis. There is no question that the hotel is well situated and is connected to the skywalks that line downtown.

My room was good, not great. Why do rooms not have a luggage rack?? The TV was large and the bed was comfortable. Good water pressure in the shower. Valet service worked well ($30 per night).

The front desk was helpful with dinner suggestions and were friendly.

The breakfast buffet was decent - for $12 there was eggs, french toast, pancakes, cereal etc. Again, good, not great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was very disappointed with this hotel. We booked it to spend our 40th anniversary in a nice place near great restaurants and theaters in downtown Minneapolis.(we live in a nearby suburb). the room was tiny, the lighting was minimal, they did not accommodate our request for a king size bed although the clerk at the front desk said they had, there is no pool or fitness room and no free breakfast for over $380 a night, plus $40 more for required valet parking service. I'm not sure a king size bed would even fit into the room. Also, internet was only available for Marriot super members. This is the first lodging I have been in in many years with pay-for internet access, including across the US, Austria, Italy, Mexico and New Zealand. The door sticker said the top price for our room was $750.

Room Tip: no view anywhere - don't bother - choose another hotel
Green Features: they did have divided waste baskets for recycling - that was a first for me, but not worth the expense of the room.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My finace and I stayed here the night of October 4th, we have been here a few times now and it hasn't disappointed! We love this hotel, great location, great regular rooms and I got it for a very affordable rate off of hotwire! The Restaurant Max is amazing as well! It is a bit pricey, but it is worth it. This is one of our favorite hotels in Minneapolis and we will certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: Aim for a higher floor, better views of the city.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Hotel Minneapolis was a solid experience for a quick one-night trip to Minneapolis recently to see friends...

- All the comforts and consistency of the major chains (and backed by Marriott/Autograph collection), but with a bit more personality. Atmospheric lobby built out of an older structure.
- Newer-rooms that were well kept. I was upgraded to a two-room suite.....I've definitely stayed in more nicely furnished higher-tier places, this was solid in a four-star sort of way.
- Fine (for a 4-star US property) breakfast options.

My only complaints might be...
- A bit louder of a clientele than I might like...definitely some noise after 2 am in the hallways
- Good, relatively close location - but for many things might help to be a couple of blocks over towards Nicollet Mall, the heart of downtown, and the Warehouse District etc....although this would be closer than most other places to the Metrodome / future Vikings stadium.
- Hotel felt a bit "empty" in a way. My sense is that this property was a ~2005-2007 real estate boom sort of deal that perhaps, like some of the many hotels that opened downtown around that time, haven't quite lived up to their goals. Not really sure if it matters, but it means a understaffed (and customered) restaurant and bar. It means maybe not as much staffing elsewhere at the door, etc. That said, it was a summer weekend in Minnesota - not many people downtown in the first place. And that also helps with great rates.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Woodbury, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We decided to stay here during a week night after going to a show. I wanted to have a quiet morning and sleep until check out! This was going to be a rare treat for me. The hotel was nice, but looked very used. Parking was way too expensive, so we parked 4 blocks away to save over $30. In our room, we looked out of the window to a beautiful office building. We were able to watch people walking around at their desks....we pulled the shades. We got comfortable in our room and then realized that we needed some water. The vending machine on our floor and the floors around us were not filled. So, we called the front desk and was instructed to go to the main hotel store. At 11:00pm that is not what we wanted to do. During the night, there is a smoke detector on the wall that is like a strobe light. There are 2 green lights on either side of the detector that flashes every 4-5 seconds throughout the entire night, and it is right above the bed. I covered my head with a pillow, and was starting to fall asleep when the heat kicked on. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but the humming of the heater was so loud. It sounded as if someone was using an electric razor in the bed next to me. The heater cover was rattling as well, which added to the noise. I decided to make the room very cold, so the heat wouldn't kick in. I finally was able to fall asleep and slept very well until 8:30, at which point a maid came into my room, while I was sleeping. She said she wanted to clean it, and apologized for coming in. Ugh. I tried to get back to sleep, which didn't work since the heater then kicked in again. I laid in bed for a little bit longer and then at 9:30, a different maid knocked on my door. I answered, and she asked if I was going to check out. The check out time was noon, so I didn't understand what the rush was. I was now angry, because we decided to go to a hotel that seemed to be higher quality so I could get a quiet, quality night sleep. I did not get that. I'm sure the hotel would be great for a office trip, but if you are looking to sleep in without a strobe light, loud heater and maids waking you up, find a Holiday Inn!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback about your recent stay. I apologize that you were not able to have a restful and relaxing stay and understand how disappointing that was for you. Based on your feedback we are revisiting our housekeeping procedures as well as our preventative maintenance procedures to ensure our guests can have an uninterrupted stay. We will continue to work on our current practices until we are certain these issues have been addressed.
Again, please accept my sincerest apologies and thank you for the feedback.

Been to The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!