“Be prepared for something different” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fairfield County, CT
“Be prepared for something different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We booked this hotel because of the price and we were intrigued by the history of the building. The first floor is a bit overwhelming because it is so modern and interesting and so unique but the front desk staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. The room was small and compact but the furniture fit the room well. The bathroom, however, was HUGE. The decor was trendy so don't expect a cookie cutter hotel. I like the way they have used the space. Great location on the quieter side of town yet within walking distance to so much. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were almost worried, staying downtown and getting this hotel for the price we were. In comparison to other hotels near by we were paying half if not more of what their rates were.

When we arrived we valeted our vehicle (pretty much mandatory for parking around here). The lobby is very swanky. They still have the old safe (the building used to be a bank) in the lobby. Check in staff was very helpful. They gave us area maps with restaurants and other points of interest.

The rooms were nice, clean, modern. Very oddly shaped though. No tub only a shower which wasn't an issue for us.

There is a restaurant and bar on site but we never went to it. It's walking distance to all sporting events and tons of bars, pubs and restaurants in the area.

CONS: wifi isn't free unless you are in the lobby, no complimentary breakfast, expensive room service charges

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I always recommend this hotel for out of town guests and have stayed here twice. While it's downtown, it's very close to the lightrail and also all the nightlife, without being on top of it. I was disappointed in the bar/restaurant only because it closes early. But the rooms are always nice and quiet and we have never had a single problem. They do have valet, as parking dt is kind of difficult. But for the rates, I believe this is a great option.

Room Tip: This hotel is in the middle of skyscrapers, so ask if they have a room with a better view, and close...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sarasota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had business at the courthouse and had our two dogs with us. This lovely hotel takes pets and is a wonderful place to stay. We had asked for the first floor and because that wasn't available, we were put on the third and our rate was considerably discounted! The hotel is immaculately clean, has very interesting decor, the beds are comfortable, and the hotel staff is very helpful in giving advice, providing office supplies, etc. There is a paid breakfast in the dining room. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were in Minneapolis for 5 days and was first booked at The Depot. After a very disappointing room (Platinum members) we changed to this hotel. I asked for an upgrade at check-in and we were placed in a King room/suite but our preference was for double beds. It was okay but only came with a shower. Since they don't have a pool/hot tub I wanted something to relax in. We also wanted double beds to sleep comfortably. When I called the front desk the next morning, they said they didn't have anything but when I said I was going to check out, they called back and moved us to the Executive level, 2 double beds in a very large room with a large bathroom/ and a tub/shower combination. It was very nice and I wished that they would have placed us in that room originally. Especially as Platinum members and we were paying premium prices. The Executive Lounge though is really pathetic for pre-dinner snacks, etc. The front desk staff was very nice.

Green Features: The shower pressure was really poor! Expect to stay in longer...
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Hotel Minneapolis is clean, comfortable, and convenient. Located 2 blocks off of Nicollet Mall, and attached to the skyway, it's ideally situated for those who are in Minneapolis on business, as I was. I can't speak to the room rate, because my company has negotiated rates, but I will say that it was a very pleasant stay. The staff were incredibly nice and efficient, (helping me to get car service to the airport at 5:30 am on a Saturday, which was much appreciated) the room was clean and comfortable, and I never heard a peep from either outside or inside of the hotel. The bathroom was very large, the room was equipped with wi-fi that was easy to figure out, and the amenities on the club level were delightful - a full breakfast in the morning, bottled water and soft drinks to go, and hors d'oeuvres and beer in the evening. It almost made traveling for business a pleasure! My only complaint was the bed, which I simply could not get comfortable on, but that might be my own issue.

As for my review title... well, the hotel has this amazing smell inside. It's hard to describe, but it's such a welcoming scent, a bit of a vanilla-cinnamon odor with something I can't put my finger on. Every time I returned from being outside of the hotel, that scent just made me feel nice and calm. I wish I knew what it was!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and had so many nice comments about our staff and hotel! The scent that you smelled in our lobby is through Scent Air and is called Hot Mink. I believe it is only sold for commercial use but wanted you to know what you were smelling.
Thanks again for the great feedback and please come visit us again!
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I recently was in Minneapolis for a wedding and stayed at the Hotel Minny.
The hotel is relatively well located, though it is a few blocks from the core, it is easily walkable. The building is old and the hotel has tried to make it look for up to date, though frankly, the look is tired and dated. My room looked across an interior courtyard at an office building, not too far away.
I am a frequent traveler and was disappointed when they didn't even ask me if I would like an outside room. The furniture was scratched badly in several places and just plain looked terrible. Needs some TLC and attention.
Also, annoying was the parking. They only have valet parking at $30 per night- seems high for a weekend night. The alternative is a public parking structure a block away.
Lastly, the front desk staff was friendly, but when I asked for driving directions to the airport, they didn't know, and after checking the directions were wrong (I ended up just following my GPS).

Room Tip: Look for an outside room with better light.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. All guest feedback is important to us as we strive to enhance our guest experience. We are always working on keeping our hotel and its furnishings up to standard and apologize that your room was not. Based on your feedback we will ensure that all of our Guest Service Agents are clear on directions to the airport and able to easily relay that information to our guests. Should your travels bring you back to the Minneapolis area we look forward to the opportunity to better serve you.

Been to The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!