“Falling short” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Falling short”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I recently was in Minneapolis for a wedding and stayed at the Hotel Minny.
The hotel is relatively well located, though it is a few blocks from the core, it is easily walkable. The building is old and the hotel has tried to make it look for up to date, though frankly, the look is tired and dated. My room looked across an interior courtyard at an office building, not too far away.
I am a frequent traveler and was disappointed when they didn't even ask me if I would like an outside room. The furniture was scratched badly in several places and just plain looked terrible. Needs some TLC and attention.
Also, annoying was the parking. They only have valet parking at $30 per night- seems high for a weekend night. The alternative is a public parking structure a block away.
Lastly, the front desk staff was friendly, but when I asked for driving directions to the airport, they didn't know, and after checking the directions were wrong (I ended up just following my GPS).

Room Tip: Look for an outside room with better light.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. All guest feedback is important to us as we strive to enhance our guest experience. We are always working on keeping our hotel and its furnishings up to standard and apologize that your room was not. Based on your feedback we will ensure that all of our Guest Service Agents are clear on directions to the airport and able to easily relay that information to our guests. Should your travels bring you back to the Minneapolis area we look forward to the opportunity to better serve you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Wildwood, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked the hotel through Groupon. So I knew I was booking Hotel Minneapolis not just some unnamed hotel which I had gotten burned before. The price may have been somewhat higher than priceline.com, but I know exactly which hotel I would be staying and in this case in a hotel that I would consider an above average hotel.

The hotel is within walking distance to the riverfront and St. Anthony Main, which is a definite plus.

I got free WIFI after I reviewed that I was a Marriott member. So I got free WIFI and I got my reward points.

The room has a huge shower. I don't use tub and not having a bath was a non-issue for me. The room is clean, comfortable, and very inviting. It has a large desk, a couch with an Otterman, and HDTV.

I don't think the hotel has a pool, which I don't care. There are beaches all over the area, particularly in the summer time. In the winter time, it could be a negative.

My fitness training is to run; therefore, I didn't visit the fitness center and I can't comment on it.

Parking in any big city will cost you an arm and a leg. Yes the valet of $30 per night is very steep but for me it beats the alternative. There is overnight parking nearby. I chose the valet because I don't have to worry about getting up early and retrieving my car before 8 in the morning. I didn't want to have to figure out the parking situation if I should return to the hotel mid-day. If the atlernative can work for you, by all means. I love not having to think about parking. If you call the valet ahead of time (10 min requested but it took far less time), the car will be waiting for you.

If you want a balcony overlooking the beach or riverfront, this hotel is not for you. Otherwise, it should work just fine.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Granger, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my wife and daughter for one night. Everyone liked the stay. We had a corner room with a king bed that was very comfortable. The location was very convenient to attractions. Our lunch at the hotel restaurant was very good. The staff was quite friendly and helpful with printing and faxing a contract for me.
I will definitely look to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I love the new autograph collection hotels (now Marriott). However, this one had both pros and cons. The hotel tries to be boutique-like but it is larger than expected. The front desk tried to accommodate (though fully booked the weekend we were there). I had requested a certain kind of room and they didn't have it at check in. I really like a bathtub and the room had a large shower only. In the shower there was nowhere to put things. I emailed the concierge about dinner reservations but realized when I arrived there is no concierge. No one returned the email. Perhaps the front desk helps with that but there were lines checking in.
The second night we moved to a room with a bath, (very small) and although no view, surprisingly a bigger room.

Small things, but it would be nice to have a make up mirror in the bathroom. The usual down bedding was not at this hotel but more of a polyester quilt that was also the bedspread, so if you took off the slip duvet, you had a very cheap feeling quilt. The extra waffle blanket was very stiff.

Plus's. Although our room was on the concierge floor (gold Marriott members), it was closed. Instead they offered breakfast.
Breakfast was wonderful, the omelettes were great. It was a nice exchange and appreciated.
Front desk and car valet helpful. My husband lost his phone from the car and they had picked it up and put it in lost and found. After noticing that he was looking several times, they told him to check lost and found.

The bed itself is very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want. The views are not that important as you just see other buildings so ask for s...
Green Features: Noticed different receptacles. Dogs were allowed. Didn't seem a problem
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a great hotel downtown. I have stayed several times. Very clean & immaculate. The beds are so comfortable you don't want to get out of them. Friendly staff. Right in the heart of downtown. Restaurant on site is very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I just spent three nights at The Hotel Minneapolis. I likely would not have stayed at this hotel based on the posted price, but I got a fantastic deal through Groupon that I could not pass up. I am so glad I stayed here - The shower was fantastic and the beds were insanely comfortable. The fact that the building this hotel is in was formerly a bank is evidenced by the vault at the back of the lobby. Everyone I talked with at the hotel desk was wonderful and helpful. I did not eat at the restaurant, but we did have drinks there and the waitress was attentive and polite. Based on other reviews I'd read, I did not park in the hotel garage, as I heard the rate was over $30 per night. We found lot nearby for $23 per night on the first day, but most of our stay was over a weekend, so we moved to a lot at 4th St. and Marquette, which is only $4 per day on the weekend. I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again.

Green Features: If you hang the provided tag on your door by 2 a.m., declining room cleaning for the following day, you get $5 to spend on food or drinks at the hotel restaurant.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Wow is what I have to say about this wonderful Marriott property! I felt so safe travelling alone and walking from this hotel to surrounding restaurants and even a nearby church. The bar and restaurant are lovely, and the team of workers here really take care of guests.

As other reviews say, parking in the city costs you money, but there are other alternatives close by, and the Valet Team is very helpful in letting you know how to use an alternative parking area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!