“Service, Location and Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Service, Location and Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently stayed here as part of a cross-country trip. The interior was exquisite as were the rooms. Our room was well sized and well furnished. The staff were all exceptionally friendly and helpful. We used the exercise room on the 10th floor and it was very well equipped. The locations was very convenient to most activities in the downtown core. I would highly reccomend this hotel if you are staying in Minneapolis. The only (slight) negative is parking is valet only and I was charged $30 which I thought was a bit high.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Ogden, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The hotel was an old converted bank. The lobby area and decor was updated to a modern style with the old layout charm of the bank. Our room was nicely furnished and very clean. The staff was very nice and willing to assist with any questions or assistance we needed. Upon arrival, we unloaded at the front of the hotel without any issues and promptly returned to retrieve our vehicle. The one issue we experienced was parking. There was no hotel parking and the valet service was $30.00 per night. We self parked at the library approximately 2.5 blocks from the hotel. Parking wasn't difficult, slightly inconvenient. Overall, we enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel and would return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

This was a birthday getaway that my wife booked for us. A request was made for chilled champagne, didn't happen. Refrigerator, after she called down to the desk. You would think for a room that you end up paying &250 a night would at least have a fridge, nope. One coffee packet for two guests ( I don't count decaf nor tea packets). Shower was best part of room. Hotel is on the skyway which is great during bad weather. Disappointed with the value for the amount if money spent. Funny thing, my neighbor stayed there recently and has the same opinion as we do. I stay at Marriott properties most if the time I travel, I will definitely take this off of my list. Oh and did mention that it was part of the autograph collection which are a bit fancier too? Hmmm

• Stayed May 2013
Brainerd, Minnesota, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were able to book a very nice room via Groupon (but you don't get credit for Marriott rewards) and found the hotel to be in a good location on the skyways (though a little off the beaten track.) Might be a lower cost alternative if doing business in that area of downtown. We appreciated that our package including a $10.00 voucher at the attached MAX bar and restaurant where we enjoyed excellent cocktails and appetizer before our night out at the theater. It also included free internet in our guest room (a $15.00 charge if not comped by Marriott rewards or your reservation)

The Hotel is located in a converted bank building built in the '20s and features a large high ceiling lobby. Because of this, our room was a little off the standard layout but nicely appointed. A HUGE bathroom with glass shower and ours was a comfortable king bed. I would rate the service from the valet parking, check in and service and bar as excellent. My wife has feather allergies and the offending items were quickly changed and person fixed the TV reception within minutes of our call.

Nice hotel--not exceptional but a good choice at the right price. You can walk to many downtown locations via sidewalk or skyways in inclement weather.

Room Tip: Be prepared to do valet parking if you plan to use your car for several trips during your stay--no e...
Green Features: Nice to see their commitment to environmentally friendly programs!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Very clean, very comfortable beds, nice open large bathroom, stylish lobby with some good places to sit, relax and do some work for a break from the room. Wifi is free in the lobby, but $10.95 in the rooms. The room (1 King) was not huge, but very comfortable. Herbal tea included in the drink making facilities, which I appreciate. Based on the rate I payed, it was a great choice!

Hotel is in the government area, so very quiet on the weekends, but it was a great location for me - I could walk to all of my appointments, and it's 10-15 minutes walk to even the south end of Nicollet Mall - Brits is a great bar/restaurant place to hang, for example.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

First, I am a competitive shopper when it comes to booking a hotel room; thus, I rely a great deal on reviews and ratings. So when I scored, what I thought was a great deal on a third party travel site, I was delighted I would be staying at this highly rated Minneapolis hotel. The old saying goes…“you get what you paid for”…and in this case, that is very true.

The overall transformation of this form bank into a hotel is quite impressive and might be considered comparable to the modern and creative styling achieved by W Hotels. The hotel’s Cafe Max is large and offers great happy hour specials after 3:00 PM on Monday - Friday.

There is a lobby living room type area with computers guests can use without charge; but, only after getting a secret code from the front desk. My experience with this equipment proved to be very frustrating due to its slowness even though I just checking email. I discovered my cell phone was faster than these computers and based on this experience, I was not prepared to spend $10.95 for in-room use of the internet. In retrospect that may be this hotel’s strategy – provide dial-up speed on the free lobby computers so you might purchase “high-speed” service in your room.

While my room was pleasantly sized, had a high ceiling, comfy bedding, a generous sized flat screen TV, a nice bathroom, and it was a clean room...but; all of this goodness was obliterated by the horrible condition of the walls in the room. There were scuff marks and smudges on nearly every wall unlike anything I had ever seen in a hotel...including Motel 6. This really gave the room a worn and dirty appearance and my deal quickly became a no deal.

Since I had been assigned an inside room, which overlooked rooms across the airspace between the two wings, I attempted to close the draperies for privacy; however, one of the drapery panels was coming off its rod. I did not feel the shades provided offered a level of privacy I preferred.

It was nearly impossible to get the room warm on the night of my stay and it was apparent the heater unit had been looked many prior times based on all the chipped paint around the heater's cover. Thank goodness there was a warm and comfy duvet on the bed. The designers were careful enough to include dimmable lamps on each side of the bed; but, the hotel has not installed dimmable CFL's so the lamps are either “on” or “off”.

Perhaps small details such as these are unimportant to some; but, for me this suggests this hotel's loss of focus on the details that comprise the quality experience. Experience has shown me that a potential signal a hotel may be having difficulties is when maintenance is cut back, probably to save a money. It pains me to see any hotel teeter on a potential downward spiral by failing to maintain product quality levels which are necessary to justify higher rates and a claim to be a four-star hotel.

Room Tip: Based on my experience I am not really sure what would be a good room in this hotel. If you want qui...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel is not a 4 star hotel...at best, it might qualify as a 3 star. It is deceiving for any of these sites to have it rated as a 4 star hotel. The property is dated, the overall aesthetic and design feels like a bad hotel on south beach in 1995 combined with a Red Roof Inn. Over half the rooms have an interior views. The place is just weird and uncomfortable

Room Tip: don't stay here until they re-do the place.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Allison S, Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay. We apologize that you were not pleased with your accomodations and the style of our hotel. We take all of our guest feedback seriously and will take it into consideration in the future.

Been to The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!