“Fun Staycation” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Golden Valley, Minnesota
“Fun Staycation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Enjoyed a Saturday night staycation at this downtown MPLS hotel after buying a deal on Groupon. When we checked in around mid-afternoon Jordan was at the front desk and was very nice and professional. We requested a higher floor room if possible and was able to find us one on the 8th floor (hotel has 10 floors). Check in was quick and off we went. The room was right by the elevator, but was not an issue at all. As I noted it was a Saturday night and we were expecting it to be noisy, but had no problems at all-no loud doors slamming, no noisy drunks off the elevator. This was a real treat because we have stayed at other properties that are considered "upscale" and have had a horrible nights sleep because of all the hall and door noise.

The room had a king-size bed that was super comfy and good pillows. Loved that the air temp was controllable. You could both set the temp and if you wanted the fan on, and even that you could do hi or low. We were able to heat it up when we got back from dinner and then cool it back down for sleeping, all with the fan on, which I'm sure also helps to block out noise. The room has blackout drapes that were also nice also. Bathroom was nice with plenty of towels for two. The shower looks fabulous until you use it. I am very short and once the shower is on, the water sprays in a cone-shape and the shower head is about 7 ft in the air, so barely any actually hits your head. Took a while to get my hair wet enough to lather with shampoo and then took some tricky tippy-toe action to get enough water to rinse. Need to be an NBA player to really get the full benefit of that shower.

One benefit of our Groupon was the $10 credit that you can use in the restaurant. We chose to apply our credit at the bar and was well spent. The bartender, whose name we didn't get, was very friendly and poured us a couple stiff drinks. Had a nice warm, buzz going on our walk out for dinner!

Had a great night out of the house at this hotel. I had stayed here for a function a few years ago and had a great time, so I was pleased little had changed. The room was comfortable and the staff friendly. We liked that it was a few blocks away from all the craziness that can sometimes go on in Minneapolis on a Saturday night. Would gladly return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Centennial, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very nice hotel for business travel. Rooms are quiet, very clean and well appointed. The staff was attentive and the breakfast was very good. Overall the hotel and food was priced reasonably. The location is an old Minneapolis bank which has a lot of nice history.

Room Tip: Third floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had to be in Minneapolis for a conference at the US Courthouse. I made reservations at the Hotel Minneapolis which is less than a block away. The hotel is lovely - room service was good and the Concierge Lounge had nice appetizers in the evening and a light breakfast in the morning. I did not eat at the Restaurant, but it looked very nice and the lobby of the hotel had some nice seating areas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Hotel Minneapolis was a beautiful bank at one time and the history has been incorporated wonderfully without being overpowering. The space respects the architecture, but is updated and refined for the current purpose. Nicely appointed and comfortable rooms. We very much enjoyed our stay and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This was my third stay at this hotel. The front desk staff is great and very nice but that is where it ends. The rooms are average and comfortable as you would expect for an Autograph Collection. The food is only fair and the morning I had breakfast there was one wait person and very limited food items because they had no food. I have not eaten other meals there but in speaking with others it was nothing spectacular. The lobby is nice and usually quiet and the computers available to surf the Net are great.
The hotel is well suited for business travelers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had high hopes for this hotel. After making my reservation I received several emails asking me if I needed anything upon arrival. The emails provided a person's name which I thought to be very effective in conveying a personal touch.

However, my arrival felt very transactional. Any goodwill generated by the emails was wiped out by the automaton checking me in.

The room was smallish and the furniture a little cheaper than I would have expected. The bed was good and I appreciated the plentiful, easily accessible outlets. My room was quiet and I did get a good night sleep.

The concierge level was ok. I will say there was not nearly enough food for either evening apps or breakfast. That was disappointing as was the fact you had to use your room key card to get DOWN. Now, I am not sure if hotels have a big problem with people randomly going up elevators. I can see that and understand why you would use your key to go up. I don't like it, but I understand.

However for the life of me I can't understand why I need to use a key to get down.

Anyway, it was an ok hotel. You get Marriott points for staying. I might return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is located in downtown Minneapolis and is connected to the SkyWay which makes it very convenient in the winter. It is a short walk from the light rail which goes to the airport,
The lobby is very nice and conducive to meeting friends or colleagues, which I did most evenings. I stayed for 2 separate weeks in January and both rooms were comfortable and clean. One room had a nice view and the other wasn't great - facing another wall of rooms - but it didn't really detract from my stay. The wi-fi works well and the gym is small but had everything I needed.

I will definitely stay here again and since our company does business in MSP, I've recommended the hotel to my colleagues.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!