“Quiet, Lovely Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Quiet, Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

PROS: Our two queen room was HUGE and quiet. We were in room 211. Beds were super comfy. Bathroom was very large with a big shower. Downtown location was great - only a block away from Government Plaza Hiawatha Light Rail Stop, which I highly recommend using! Amenities: Great TV & channels, REAL Kleenex tissue, organic and animal-safe toiletries, FULL SIZE blow dryer. Great Happy Hour drink specials at Restaurant Max in the hotel!

CONS: $30 for parking, c'mon! Park a block away on the 400 block of Marquette at the Downtown Auto Park for HALF that or less, depending on the day. The water pressure in the shower is pretty wimpy. Still a bit pricey, I think, but I'd stay again!

• Stayed September 2012

431 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I am a Platinum status Marriott guest and spend at least a third of my year in hotels. I have a solid criteria for judging hotels and think/hope that I'm fair. Your experience may be different, but for me this hotel was a disappointment. Reason one: I wound up with a room the size of a postage stamp and would have expected something a little better having given Marriott so much loyalty. Reason teo: The bed was not a Marriott bed, but rather a shaky rough experience with subpar quality linens. Reason three: The shower design was very poor without a handle on the inside making closing the door and preventing a flood difficult. The shower head was poorly designed with minimal water flow. More reasons: The hotel is a very old refurbished building so the windows are tiny old Midwest style that look out onto pretty much nothing. There is no intimacy, no charm. The place looks and feels like a rehab'd bank - which is what it is. My room had 4 hangers one of which was occupied by a robe. I love in New York so I'm not afraid of high parking prices, but $30 in Minneapolis? Really? I thought I'd try this hotel of some charm and style and mostly to be away from the hordes of screaming partners and the rif-raf that descends on downtown Minneapolis late at night closer to Hennepin Avenue core, but the one pro did not outweigh all the cons. I certainly won't be recommending Hotel Minneapolis to anyone nor staying there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AUTOMinneapolisGM, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear amostovoy,

Hello,
Thank you for your recent posting and more importantly, thanks for being a Platinum Member in the Marriott Rewards program. It is because of feedback from great guests such as yourself that we can continually make improvements moving forward.

We truly are a unique Autograph Collection Hotel that was created from a historic bank building built back in 1906. This does lead to varied size and shaped rooms due to maintaining the Historic element of the building. I am sorry to hear that the room we reserved for you did not meet your usual standards.

I am glad to hear that our location had a benefit of being close to what is happening in downtown Minneapolis but not being caught up in all the late night noise.

I have reviewed your comments with our Engineering and Housekeeping manager so that they can be aware of the challenges that you addressed and make sure that we eliminate them.

I am sorry to hear that if and when your travel plans bring you back to the Downtown Minneapolis area we would not be your hotel of choice but I ask that perhaps you might reconsider so that perhaps we can have you experience some of the other rooms we have to offer.

Don Cook
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is very nice. Great room, huge bathroom..........and very good air conditioning ( it was extremely hot in the city and our very cool room was a welcome reprieve). Really comfortable bed and pillows, lovely bedding.
Max, the restaurant, was just ok. Service is quite slow and quality not all that good especially for the prices. Go elsewhere for meals........there's plenty of restaurants on Nicolette St which is close by.
There is no concierge, which was disappointing as we were there for the sites. The young woman at the front desk, although quite nice, knew absolutely nothing about the city or what it had to offer. We were looking for the typical brochures for tourists, which we couldn't find because they are kept behind the front desk....weird.
Bell service was excellent.
The light rail station at Nicolette Mall is a very short walk, which was wonderful for the trip back to the airport. $1.75 per person for a 25 minute ride straight to Terminal 1 on a clean, cool and comfortable train, as opposed to $45.00 for a cab! No brainer.
I'd recommend this hotel.........just plan to eat elsewhere and do your reasearch in advance if you're a tourist.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The design of the hotel is hip with comfortable beds but for the most part the staff is snooty and lacks attention to service and detail. The room had smudges on the walls all around which for a hotel of this level is unacceptable. Also a bulb was burned out in the bedside lamp. Again for this level of hotel, this should not be the case. Also my car was left overnight in the valet area right off the street because they said my car had a dead battery. Well it has a security system that requires the key to be turned half way then a double chirp sounds allowing the car to be started at that point. Instead of calling my room, they left it there and valet left for the night. I work producing travel shows for television and as a result I have very expensive equipment with me in the car and was not thrilled to see it out by the street where anyone could come and just break in if they chose. That to me is also unacceptable. Since this is a Marriott property, you would think they would do a better job but not so. Seems like management here is lacking for sure. The only reason I give this an average rating is because of the design of the hotel and the location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AUTOMinneapolisGM, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear TheOfficialBest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the overall Hip design of the hotel and comfort of the beds during your stay.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at The Hotel Minneapolis. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. Be assured that from the follow up from our conversation and your notes in your review I have used your feedback as valuable training for our Valet and Engineering departments so that our guests do not encounter these challenges moving forward.

Again, thank you for your comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to continually improve upon our customer service.

Don Cook
Iowa City, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Gorgeous renovation of a historic downtown Minneapolis building. Modern lobby with old bank vaults, marble floors, classic elevators preserved & nicely presented. B&W photos of old building & Minneapolis everywhere are delightful.
iMac's abound in business center. Wireless Internet was consistent & speedy (even for streaming video).
Every staff person encountered was friendly & helpful. Great location.
Our double-queen room was large, with large bathroom & high ceilings. Comfortable beds, pillows & linens. Fridge & room safe were much appreciated extras. Clean, new exercise room. Outstanding concierge lounge.
Eager to stay here again.

Room Tip: Marriott Rewards program definitely worthwhile to gain amenities.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

I like this place! The lobby is beautiful and the staff was nice and helpful. Very convenient location. The room was very modern and clean. I didn't really use any of the amenities, so I can't comment on that. I docked a star because (1) parking wasn't included, (2) while the bathroom was very nice, the shower was poorly designed so you get blasted with cold water whenever you turn it on, and (3) there was no fridge in the room. Other than those little things, it was great. I would recommend it and would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We were well satisfied with this hotel. We obtained a competitive rate via Hotwire and were assigned a comfortable, clean room. We had minimal contact with the staff but our interactions were pleasant. Thanks to previous reviewers we parked at a Downtown Auto Park facility a block away for only $4/day vs. the valet charge of $30. We left early each morning so it was not a problem for us, but even the full day fee was considerably less than $30. The hotel is in a great location in the downtown area. We would stay again if the rates were competitive.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!