“Really good Chinese food on east side of U of M” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #299 of 1,622 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Chinese
Frontenac
“Really good Chinese food on east side of U of M”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

It had been awhile: the menu is even bigger, the prices have gone up a couple of bucks, the service follows the mood of the 'house'. I had one of the best versions of Thai Seafood Soup that I can remember: chuck full of fish, shrimp, clams, squid in a flavorful broth and artfully cooked fine rice noodles. My buddy had the Singapore noodles with curry. Our bill was about $24 before tip. I'll be back to explore new items on the menu.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Minnesota
“Fast service and good food from a gigantic menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We've eaten at Hong Kong Noodles a few times and most recently in late December. We really like that there is no buffet and most of the people eating there are Asian (most likely Chinese). The menu is in both Chinese and English. You have a huge choice and that includes many affordable meals and specials that are considerably more expensive (they are on a blackboard). There are some vegetarian items and all the standard Chinese dishes from various Chinese areas. The moderately priced meals are quite comparable to other Chinese restaurants. Everyone gets chopsticks and tea and then the food arrives quite soon afterwards. I cannot imagine service being any faster. And the food has always been good! We've had good attentive service and at other times some rather indifferent service but the food has always come quickly and was good. The restaurant is just a bit over a block from the start of the U of Minnesota so there are probably students and staff from the U of M who eat there plus many Chinese.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Maplewood, Minnesota, United States
“Food is always good and fast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I love that they always have fast service. We've never waited over 15 min for our food. The price is very reasonable.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Service can be spotty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I've dined here several times since reviewing it and giving it full marks, however, poor service has prompted me to give it another, less favorable review. And that service is the sole reason for giving it only two stars. While I still feel the food here is pretty good, and has in the past been generally worth the hassles of so-so service on most nights, my most recent trip was bad enough that I'm not sure about that anymore. The waitress was impatient from the start when I asked if specific vegetables were in a particular dish. No, they weren't, she said, and they couldn't be added to that particular dish for an upcharge. My wife had already ordered, and when I told her I needed another minute, then, to decide, she said fine, but then apparently placed my wife's order and didn't return for 10 minutes. By then, my wife's food had emerged from the kitchen. So, I placed my order, finally, asking if the specific vegetables came with the dish as pictured. Yes, she said. Of course, those vegetables weren't on the plate when my dish emerged. When I asked her about that, she said denied everything. Unless the kitchen had run out of those items, in which case she should have told me so, she knew the precise vegetables I wanted. Through our conversation, she had figured out the ones I didn't want. Yes, those were the ones that were on my plate. She then denied it all to the manager, who did not charge us for the dish (it was given to another table). I'm not sure if I'll be back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Rude staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

It's your typical Chinese food, but the staff is so rude. I will not be going back after how I was treated by one of the women working there. I'll choose another restaurant next time I want some Chinese.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere