“Underwhelmed” 2 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dancing Ganesha
1100 Harmon Pl, Minneapolis, MN 55403-2019 (Downtown)
612-338-1877
Neighborhood: Downtown
Atlanta, Georgia
“Underwhelmed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was very disappointed by this place. I have eaten at numerous indian restaurants and have never seen one with such limited choices for their lunch buffet. The seasoning for tamarind rice was burnt and tasteless, the curries were tasteless and the naan was thick and undercooked. The ambiance was regular. I will not recommend this to anyone.

Visited May 2013

“Great food - not traditional India, but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Cool atmosphere - I have been to India several times this was definitely a more urban - upscale twist on India food. I enjoyed it - good parking, fun urban crowd, lots of fun flavor combinations. Some dishes seemed under flavored - but that could be catering to the area....ask for more flavor if you are looking for a bit more spice.

Visited August 2012
Deocrah, Iowa
“Great semi-casual Indian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I'm not an experienced Indian food connoisseur, but I hope to become one by eating at the Dancing Ganesha. Everything we ordered came to our table hot and fresh, and the flavors were delicious! It was great to have abundant vegetarian options, too. I wanted my cocktail to be a little more...flavorful, but it was adequate. Atmosphere was pretty casual, and folks of all ages seemed comfortable here. All in all, I would highly recommend this Indian restaurant!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis
“Extremely Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am writing this review due to the poor service I experienced last night (1-22-13) at this establishment. When my girlfriend and I arrived, we decided to sit at the bar and place an order for takeout. We sat at the bar for 3-5 minutes before being acknowledged and then were given one menu for both of us to look at. It should be noted; there were maybe 15-20 people in the restaurant at the time (it wasn’t at all busy). We then ordered our food but the bartender decided not to write the order down to enter into the computer and asked us to confirm the order after we just told him what we wanted. At that point, as we had written down what the others at home wanted (hence the takeout order) so we could order correctly, we gave the order WE WROTE to the bartender to confirm the order.

I also ordered a beer while we waited for the food. However, the same bartender filled the beer glass from the tap but left it there and walked away instead of placing it in front of me. I was sitting next to the tap(s) at the bar so I could have grabbed it myself (I included this information to give perspective about how close I was to the tap). Also, during this time another man walked in and sat at the bar for a minute or two while but no one acknowledged him and then walked out. When we got our food and the bill we felt the total amount seemed excessive so we reviewed the bill. It turned out we were charged for an entrée we didn’t order for $15.99. We told the bartender we didn’t order the extra dish and didn’t want it. He then begrudgingly cancelled out the credit card he already ran and muttered “sorry” but acted as if we did something wrong and that he was annoyed that he had to fix his mistake. This isn’t the first time we’ve experienced poor service at Dancing Ganesha and it appears we aren’t the only ones to deal with it per other reviews. I like this restaurant because it’s close to my home and the food is above average but the portions are small compared to Gandhi Mahal or Taste of India. After this latest experience, I will not be returning to this establishment anytime in the near future.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Indians Eat Here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I truly love Indian cuisine and there are Indian cafes spread around the Twin Cities. Unfortunately, most of them are hole-in-the wall places and many don't deserve an encore visit. Hearing the ding of the microwave or seeing red-dyed tandori chicken makes one run out the door.

How nice to have a clean, beautifully lit, tasteful restaurant right in downtown Minneapolis on 11th & Harmon in the Loop. Dancing Ganesha has a good menu and the food is quite tasty. A good sign is always to see Indian families frequent the establishment. This was our 5th visit, and everything from apps (great HH BTW) to main courses has been superb. Dear husband had the shrimp kabob masala from the house specialties list and I had an enormous chicken tikka dosa which came with a lovely coconut chutney. It was after happy hour and yet my G&T (Tanquerey - no Beefeaters here) and nice and strong and only $6.00).

I'd love to have the luncheon buffet here sometime. Kitty-corner from St Thomas and they take reservations. Great for families also as prices aren't sky high.

• Visited August 2012