“Very good option for business travel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
New York City, New York
“Very good option for business travel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I spent one night in Minneapolis on business and found the W to be a great option.

The hotel, located in the iconic downtown building, feels impressive as soon as you walk in. The lobby area is very large, and offers many different spots to meet and hang out, without being too loud. The bar area is spacious and provides a good meeting spot for a quick drink with colleagues.

The staff was very helpful, offering advice on getting around in Minneapolis. Check-in was quick and efficient. My room was tastefully decorated, with a modern feel. It was somewhat on the small side, but I prefer and nicely-done small room to a badly-done large room. Comfortable bed, flat screen tv, large windows, big shower area ... it has just about everything a business traveler is looking for. Given the layout of the tower, there aren't that many rooms on each floor, so the hallways are very quiet; you won't hear a constant flow of people coming and going. I actually never ran into anyone on my floor.

I used the treadmill downstairs at the gym. It was absolutely fine. A good hotel gym with a few treadmills, and some resistance machines.

The location is great for a business traveler. I was able to walk to all my meetings and get a good feel for downtown Minneapolis.

If I'm ever in town again, I will stay there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

For the price this hotel met all of my expectations but didn't particularly exceed them. The room was furnished impeccably; the flat screen hi def tv, Tivoli radio, and iPod charging station were very nice touches. The bathroom was particularly nice. I love a great shower head and this one certainly delivered! Views from this upper floor room were great and the light from windows gave it an inviting appeal. My friend stayed on a lower level room where windows opened into the alley; that room had a distinct dark, almost cave-like quality. I appreciated the work out room (with free water!) but it was a bit small with 6-8 machines. In a hotel of this size I found there was no room for me one occasion. Also, with no windows we returned to that closed in feeling.
The location is outstanding and probably worth the premium price. So many attractions/shopping/restaurants are within easy walking distance and we always felt safe.
In all the Foshay is a nice experience (but make sure to get an upper floor room!).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010 via mobile

I travel to Minneapolis regularly and have stayed at most of the hotels in the downtown area. The W is my favorite. What the Graces 601 tries to be (hip cool and trendy) but falls short on, the W captures well. It is a hip place with great service. The restaurant is fantastic and the lobby bar fun. Beds are the most comfortable downtown- period. Great bathrooms too.

• Stayed June 2010
Pelham, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We were on a 35 day road trip and stayed one night at the W. The staff are very friendly and helpful. As in other reviews, the lobby is dark, dark, dark. I don't know how the concierge can see as that area of the hotel was dark, dark, dark too! The room was comfortable and well appointed with a very nice rain shower, BUT the lighting was so poor one couldn't read while sitting on the sofa or in bed. Perhaps it is my "old" eyes, but in order to read, and because the lighting in the room was so bad, I had to sit on the floor in the bathroom to read.

Even the corridors are dark, dark, dark!

Fees for valet parking are ridiculous at $28/night!

On the plus side, the hotel is in a great location and the bartenders at Prohibition are very friendly though the drinks are very expensive.

BRING A FLASHLIGHT!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the W last night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Last year, we stayed at Graves 601 and absolutely loved it, but thought it would be fun to try a new hotel. We had been looking forward to this all summer. Unfortunately, it was not as great as we had hoped. It cost $30 to park the car overnight, which I thought was a lot. When you walk into the entrance, it is very dark and has an edgy, retro feel to it. The check-in went smoothly and the employees were very friendly, I must say. My husband, however, made the comment that this hotel would be the perfect place to film a horror movie. I laughed but I had to agree. It kind of had that dark, spooky feel to it. The room wasn't much better. It was incredibly small for the price and had a cold, sterile feel to it. One thing I did like was the rainhead in the shower...it was great. Even though the hotel is fairly new, it was already starting to show wear and tear. We went to Prohibition (the bar on the 27th floor...it had a cool atmosphere and good happy hour specials), as well as the observation deck (that was fun), but I just didn't want to spend any time in our room. Usually, I love relaxing in a nice hotel room, but the decor made it hard to relax and get comfortable. It doesn't even come close to the Graves 601 in terms of the value for the money or the accomodations. I'm glad we gave the W a try, but we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

The Foshay is excellent. The W chain is quite brilliant with the concept of the Living Room. The beds and rooms are terrific, the views are generally good from this building, the quality of food (Manny's) is terrific, the drinks are wonderful and the service is topnotch. I cannot say enough things to justify how great the place is.

The only thing I would comment negatively about is the available parking. At almost $30/night for valet - assurance that your vehicle is in a safe location indoors in a city not of your own can be a concern. I am not loaded with money but I was fortunate enough to be on a business trip, so the company paid for it. However, if I was the average person who wanted a great weekend in a posh location, this place would be ideal, aside from the parking. Unless of course, W is hoping to discriminate between rich and average.

Drinks are also ludicrously priced ($12 for a berry martini) is quite silly. I dine in Knightsbridge, Soho and South Kensington on a somewhat regular basis - the only way to get funds out of me for a drink is if comes out of a designer bottle with a designer name. Even after conversion rates, this is a ridiculous amount for a beverage. I'm certain that its all apart of the ambiance of "rich" or "socialite" but its quite silly.

Another thing is the absurd requirement for a passport for ID if one is from another country. Any form of government photo ID should be accepted. Having to bring my passport all over the hotel every single day as ridiculous and redundant.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I was just there for a weekend business trip and as my title states - dollar for dollar, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better hotel in America.

Location is perfect, right downtown, rooms are all new, workout facility is top notch (although more free weights would have been nice) and the staff is very friendly.

I only paid $149 per night for Friday and Saturday, and although valet was supposedly $28 per day, that charge never made it on to my bill.

Rooms - not huge, but all new furniture and amenities, plus 37" flat screens and sun shower in the bathroom.

One note - if you want quiet, stay somewhere else as there is two very popular bars on the premises. I was fine with it, but some travelers may not be.

Plenty of great restaurants and attractions nearby.

Book the W Minneapolis with 100% confidence - well done, Starwood!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!