“Cool & hip, but overpriced” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
New York, NY
“Cool & hip, but overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

This hotel is extremely modern and trendy, with dark, moody lighting, rooms painted black (I couldn't find the light switch!), and neat decor. I would stay here more often, but for two things: the sub-par "gym" (a few cardio machines and some weights in a room), and the expensive room service.

During our stay, my colleague came up to me in a panic: "Breakfast cost me $60!" she said. She ordered: eggs, toast, orange juice, coffee. $60. Also, the meals are served very "no frills" - if you don't order something to drink, you don't even get a glass of water. If you order dinner, you get exactly what you ordered - no bread basket, no garnish of any kind. It feels kind of cheap for such an expensive place.

But if you can get past that, it's a very hip place to stay, very much an "experience."

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

First off, the Foshay building is very cool, so many elegant touches that hark back to the 1920's. The problem is that the W hotel is just a glitzy pretentious business slapped on top of a great historical landmark; the hotel totally fails to embody the essence of the Foshay or to really bring out the character of the building.

W is extremely pretentious and very snooty, every touch seems to be about glitz and sparkle but it is so shallow and poorly executed. The staff are mixed, mostly snotty with a few good exceptions. This place is simply aiming to be a trendy hotspot; the problem is that the Graves 601 does it so much better. We have stayed at a number of boutique hotels and this one just doesn't measure up.

Of particular disappointment was the Prohibition bar, which was tiny, full of obnoxious staff and clients, and most disappointingly, had no link or relation to the history of the building or its era as had been suggested. The living room lounge bar was much better, and not a bad place for a cocktail, (this is also where the good service occurred).

The general feel of W was that of nouveau riche (for the middle class), everything was about names, labels and fanfare, and everything was an extra charge. This place seems to cater to those who beg to be noticed and want desperately to be seen to be 'living the life'. If you want to live the life, go stay at the Marquette on the executive levels, or the Hilton, or the Westin, or Graves 601. They all do it so much better...

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Hudson11, Director Revenue Management at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, November 18, 2009
I am sorry that your visit to the W Minneapolis, the Foshay did not match your expectations. The hotel is on the national register of historical buildings and every effort has been undertaken to preserve the heritage and feel of the era it was built, down to the original flooring in the arcade and original lift doors. As for the Prohibition bar, this was Wilbur Foshay’s personal office encompassing the entire 27th floor. The African Mahogany woodwork, book case glass, even the tiled ceiling and chandelier over ‘stair case to nowhere’ are original from Foshay’s office. There is a museum on the 30th floor dedicated to Wilbur Foshay which holds a wealth of information on his life, the times, and the Foshay Tower itself

W’s offer many ‘touch-points’ and a break from the norm. Yes, the W is very on trend versus trendy, and our bars are lively with people from all walks of life. That is what makes a stay at the W an experience versus a just another stay at a hotel.

We hope you will revisit the W Minneapolis the Foshay and welcome the uniqueness, combined with history that the W has to offer.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Stayed here with my husband on a Friday night before a friend's wedding. As somewhat of a W Hotel Snob, and someone who is in the hotel/event industry I can say that this is my favorite so far!

I agree with previous reviews about this hotel being dark. It's done is a very classy and sexy way. With unexpected pops of light, textures, and great furniture shapes the design is awesome! I love the meditation between the old Foshay building and the atmosphere that W has created.

We stayed a corner room, which was awesome. Adequate amount of bedroom space, a nice big closet, and A HUGE bathroom. We absolutely loved the shower - it is so cool. With a very awesome pink light that makes the water look as if it were sparkling against the slate tile.

Service was great - everyone we encountered was genuinely friendly. I very much appreciate that.

There is a Martini in the bar made with Vueve Clicquot and Elderflower Liquor. Absolutely indulgent. Will be staying here many times as I visit the Twin Cities in the future!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for our One Year Wedding Anniversary. We have a 4 month old and were looking forward to our first night away and a very quiet and relaxing night away together. The hotel came recomended as it is very trendy and a Must See Hotel. Well trendy it was, and that is about IT. We stayed on a Saturday night, BAD idea. Apparently this hotel is party central after bar close on the weekends. And the hotel does NOTHING about it. Our room was right off the elevator and we heard everyone's conversations like they were in our room, and we heard every door that slammed shut ALL NIGHT LONG!! The guys in the room next to us partied ALL NIGHT LONG, we called security, but the partying continued. To move rooms at 3AM was out of the question, so we laid awake all night Very Frustrated, Very Tired, and Very Awake. There is no sound barrier between rooms, and you can hear peoples conversations through the walls! We get better sleep and more peace and quiet at home with our baby. We packed up at 7AM and left to go home to go BACK TO BED after spending money to get away and get a good night sleep. ABSURD!
We spoke with the front desk when we checked out that morning and told them of our horrible night and how displeased we were, and the response we got was, "Oh, sorry." Yeah, me too, Sorry my husband and I wasted our evening and first anniversary at your 'After hours frat house' hotel Property !!! NEVER AGAIN!! I'd rather stay home!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

Paid about $125 per night (all taxes/fees included) for a king size bed room (OCT 2009) from 1800hotels.
Building/area: Read up on the Foshay building and its history. That's where the W is located after a multimillion $ renovation. Beautiful building. A very nice mix of retro and ultra modern features inside. It is located downtown, lots of business buildings and restaurants in the area. There is also shopping around (Off 5th, GAP, Marshall's, Banana Republic, Macy's, Brooks Bros, others) within walking distance. The famous Skyway comes to the W, so you can pick it up without exiting, all the way to the Convention Center -in case you are there for a conference)
Hotel: Great rate online, so my opinion may depend on that. Check-in was smooth in a couple of minutes. I asked for the best possible room for my rate, but all the lady could offer was a big corner room, but no view. NOTE: a lot of Foshay building's rooms below the 7th floor may have their view obstructed by buildings close by, so be aware. I did not care, but my 5th floor room had no view (see pics) and had to pretty much keep the curtains closed all the time. This corner room was really big for W's standards. You could actually walk freely in the room... The hotel lobby was DARK and the elevator was darker, making it even hard to actually find the button for your floor! On the 27th floor they have the Prohibition, a bar that has great views of the city, and kind of looks like a living room, with arm chairs, loungers, couches, beds. I was not that impressed, but others have been. At the lobby level they have their main bar, also dark, with a big gas fire pit inside and some water features. Very nice, pricey. Right next door is Manny's, the steak house, with one of their huge steaks costing $92. Overall we did not like our food there, but service was excellent. Overall, customer service was EXCELLENT. Dialing 0 you get their "whatever/whenever" people answering (or something like that) and they can pretty much take care of anything you need. We wanted to print a page off the web, called this service, the gentleman gave me his personal e-mail, I emailed him my pdf file, he printed it and had it delivered to my room within 3 minutes. Internet (wireless/slow for streaming form Netflix for example) was $13/night.
Room: (see also above) - plenty of room, great bar, LCD TV on the wall, DVD player, Tivoli clock/alarm/radio with iPOD base. Bathroom was big and modern. No bath tub, but a great huge shower with on shower head overhead/rain style. The sink is dumb, square white impractical, but good looking, modern feature. Lots of different light fixtures, with dimmers. Ordered food in the room -came fast and got follow-up call by whatever/whenever to confirm arrival of the food.
ACURA: not sure for how long more this is offered, but they have an ACURA SUV available to take you anywhere within, I think, 5 miles, free of charge. Never used it, but it was there parked often. Not a 24hr service. It's a dealer promotion, I am sure they give you some info on the car during the rides.
Checkout: took seconds - no problems
OVERALL: great experience, very polite and always available help.

Western Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I stayed at the W Foshay for three nights for a work conference (around 50 people were in our group), and we were all treated to exquisite service. Their staff was genuine and friendly, and I found this to be the best feature of the hotel.

The W Foshay is a dark (as in 'not well-lit) hotel. It's very sexy and would be a great weekend get-away for couples. I found the meeting rooms to be too dark, so if you're planning a presentation or training session, keep this in mind. That aside, I found the darkness--even in the daytime--to be nice.

The rooms are funky and fun, and the beds are super-comfy with high thread count sheets. I slept like a baby, which isn't usually the case when I'm away from home. The Bliss toiletries are wonderful and smell great! My only complaints are that the bathroom lighting isn't enough for daytime makeup preparation, and there's no coffee maker in the room. But I discovered on my last day that you could request a coffee maker. Oh, and one other small complaint...you can smell the food from Manny's steakhouse if you're in certain rooms and on the lower floors.

The Blackberry Mojitos in the hotel's bar are AMAZING and you must try one, even though it'll set you back a bit. Totally worth it. Then make sure to check out 'Prohibition', the bar on the 27th floor. It's very sexy. Make sure to ask the cocktail waitresses about it being haunted.

Also be prepared to run into some celebrities. We saw at least three (I won't mention their names). I'm not sure if they were staying there, or if they were simply eating at Manny's and decided to check it out.

If you're booking the W Foshay for a work function, know that the food is wonderful. Be sure to get an appetizer tray with the cheese/prosciutto/olives/sun dried tomatoes. It was amazing, and the cheeses were so unique.

Another complaint was the fact that they didn't offer free Wi-Fi, but that's pretty standard in more expensive hotels these days. Nonetheless, I was a bit irritated by that.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the W Foshay (even if it was for work), and will consider going back with my husband for a weekend getaway.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

My stay was great. Location is excellent. Right in the heart of town. Room was great. Super plasma TV and DVD player with a full selection of DVD's to play. Bathroom was fine. Ask for one with a tub if you want a tub. Room service was late with breakfast and I ordered a fruit plate and it was somewhat small. Ate at the steakhouse in the hotel and both meals that i had there were great with excellent service. Conceirge was very helpful with directions. Overall very good.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!