“Great experience, friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great experience, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I had a phenomenal first stay experience at the W in Minneapolis. I booked the room rather last minute, but got a great rate. I was greeted by incredibly friendly staff upon check-in who told me all about the hotel, its restaurants and other amenities. For joining SPG, I was upgraded to a nicer room. I checked into the room, which was top notch. Newly renovated and very nice amenities inside. Very comfortable bed and overall comfortable atmosphere. The bar / restaurant at the top of the hotel, Prohibition, had a great happy hour special and terrific food as well.

All in all, I had an amazing experience at the W. It will be my go-to destination during my next visit to Minneapolis.

Room Tip: If you can get an upgraded corner room, those are very nice. I received one for joining SPG upon ch...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Greetings, Riley C,

Thank you for choosing to stay at W Minneapolis, it was great to have you for your first visit! I am excited you enjoyed the welcome experience and are a new member of SPG, our complimentary rewards program. The doors at the iconic Foshay Tower are always open to you; looking forward to welcoming you back to the Midwest and W Minneapolis!

Best Wishes,
Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Auburn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

From the time you meet your Valet at curbside, through to the checkout, you are treated with a genuine, caring respected interest by the staff to make sure you have nothing short of an amazing stay at the W Minneapolis - The Forshay. This art deco hotel is definitely a break from the "Big Box" hotels. There is no need to leave the hotel either. You must try their observation deck, the "Prohibition Bar" on the 27th floor and the super cool lobby/lounge area. The rooms are spacious, extremely clean with all the amenities. Free coffee in the morning at Manny's restaurant too!! This hotel is PERFCT for business and romantic getaways.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Welcome MMello1261,

Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay and for the five star review! I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our team, from Wheels to the Welcome Office, and Style. It will be a pleasure to have you back on your next visit to the historic Foshay Tower!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Our stay at the W was phenomenonal. The rooms are updated and comfortable and the hotel staff are legitimately the nicest people ive ever interacted with. I was ecstatic when they brought a complimentary bottle of champagne and some glasses to celebrate my fiancés birthday without any prompt. The location is awesome and I will be staying there again.

• Stayed January 2014
Hello danhayes11,

Thank you for the phenomenal review from your visit to W Minneapolis-The Foshay! So glad you came to celebrate your fiancés birthday with us and enjoyed the surprise champagne! I look forward to your next stay, whether it is for a celebration or to relax and rejuvenate.

Cheers!
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My significant other surprised me with a 30th birthday getaway to Minneapolis, and chose this hotel for our stay. Got in late, around 11pm, greeted warmly by Brian, who was just ending his shift. After inquiring about our stay, we let him know that it was for my birthday, he said he had a 'surprise' in store for us. We settled into our corner room (join the "preferred members club"..for free! and get upgrades and discounts), ordered room service (prime burgers were so amazing!) and got a knock on the door. Brian personally delivered a bottle of wine and truffles for my birthday! The Foshay marries the old classy boutique hotel feel with upscale chic touches. The staff, especially Brian, made our stay wonderful.

Room Tip: Great place to stay if primarily on foot.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Front Office Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello L S,
It was our pleasure to have you with us on such a special occasion. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed this sweet simple token of appreciation. We look forward to welcoming you back to the historic Foshay Tower.

Stay Warm,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Well to start off this was our first stay at this hotel our big fear was it affordable?? YES it was it was $25.00 more than now what they call the Hyatt hotel. Our suite was absolutely amazing we were in #3204 it was above my expectations. You call and within 5 minutes our towels were delivered. And a follow up call to make sure they were delivered.
As far as location at least for us is Mannys Steak House is down stairs a must stop every time we are in Minnesota***** 5 star resturant. Close to the Local a bar/restaurant Haskells liquors for the game on Sunday. A cab or town car is always outside the doors with professional staff to get you wherever you need to go.
My once in a lifetime was to meet Adrian Peterson at the lobby which i got a signature on his pro bowl jersey and a photo with him. There are many celebrities that go to Mannys and the W hotel.
This will be where we stay every time. GO VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Suite #3204 it was awesome
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello SFARES,

Thank you for sharing your fabulous review with the TripAdvisor community, and staying at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! So happy to hear W exceeded your expectations with our Whatever/Whenever service promise. With 3 great onsite restaurants and bars, and the Museum and Observation deck, W Minneapolis has wonderful offerings all under the roof of the historic Foshay Tower. Hope to see you soon!

Best Regards,
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our first anniversary with a mini get-away to Minneapolis. Though expensive, valet parking was very convenient. The location is great, we were there for 3 days and never had to use our car, and the skyway makes getting around comfortable when it's freezing outside.

Check-in was very smooth and didn't take long. Brian was helpful and efficient, and an hour or so after check-in, he had champagne, truffles and a thoughtful card with anniversary wishes delivered to our room. Very surprised and impressed, as I had only briefly mentioned the purpose of our stay. Thank you Brian!

The room was spacious with beautiful views of the city skyline. My favorite part was the tub, which sat under windows overlooking the city, and the waterfall shower. We felt very pampered and were able to relax and enjoy our stay.

There are only two minor complaints. There was a strong smell of cooking meat coming through the vents. That may not bother some, but it got a little overwhelming toward the end of the day. I assume it was from the steakhouse on the first floor (Manney's Steakhouse, excellent food too). On Friday night, we could hear voices and laughter from the bar below us (we were on the 28th floor) and the Prohibition Bar is on the 27th.

The staff was great, and delivered on the Whatever Whenever promise. Enjoyed our stay and will be back again another time. Would be a fun spot for a girl's weekend too.

Room Tip: The little extra it cost for the Fantastic Suite was well worth the price. Those suites are also on...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello Tullydad,
Thank you for staying with us at W Minneapolis, and celebrating your special occasion in the historic Foshay Tower! It is our pleasure to make your experience most memorable, in a Whatever/Whenever way. We look forward to your next visit, stay warm!
Cheers!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Let me start by saying, I am not the biggest W fan, I ended up at this property because it was a decent corporate rate for a business trip. It's not that I have an issue with Starwood, I just think the W properties try to hard to be chic and cool, and chic and cool in Minneapolis is kind of a non-sequiter.

That said, I had a corner room. It was spacious and had a gigantic bathroom - I particularly enjoyed the giant window next to the toilet that looked into the office building across the street. Word to the wise, don't come in to your room without using the facilities elsewhere as you'll find yourself trying to close the blinds while doing an adult version of the pee-pee dance (albeit excellent entertainment for whomever has the cubicle in the office building across the street)... Beyond that, the room was fine - the showers could have used more water pressure.

Manny's, the steak house downstairs, was very good and seemed to have a mix of locals and business people. The hotel lounge looked at me a bit funny when I wanted coffee mid-day, but eventually did bring me a carafe of cold coffee from a meeting upstairs. I gave up after the second time sending it back.

To navigate balmy Minneapolis, the property itself is attached to the habit trail - I don't know the actual name of the indoor walkway, but I do now know what it feels like to be a gerbil. Assuming you are good with nonsensical left and right turns, you can get to your destination visible from your hotel room is a mere 35 days - seriously, just go outside if you can bear it.

All in all, it's fine. Again, W's aren't my thing, but if they are yours, you will probably be fine.

Room Tip: I don't think paying extra for the corner room is worth it, but I also didn't see the regula...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello jancan22,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. Glad you found the Cool Corner King room spacious, and also enjoyed Manny’s Steakhouse. My apologies your view did not meet expectations, as well as the coffee you received. I will ensure to direct these issues to the proper talent coaches to make immediate improvements. W Minneapolis has two entrances to the Minneapolis skyway system, which can take you just about anywhere downtown. On your next visit, it would be our pleasure to assist with directions and a skyway map.

Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!