“Good hotel for Minneapolis” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good hotel for Minneapolis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Travel a lot to Minneapolis. W Foshay is a property with good bones. Located in a former office building the property has decent, normally configured rooms. Restaurant (Mannys) is very good - considered an icon in the Minneapolis market.

Overall a fine experience and I'd stay here again. I'd say the 601 Graves hotel was visibly more striking to me when I had stayed here and a few of the properties downtown have gone thru nice renovations - such as the Grand Hotel.

Room Tip: I was in 1105 - generally fine although I was in an echo chamber for all the 1am snow removal equipm...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Hello Jdcarcollector,

Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis in the historic Foshay Tower! I welcome you back soon for fabulous 360 degree views of downtown from our museum and observation deck, and another Whatever/Whenever guest service experience.

Happy Holidays,
Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

An upscale hotel which is alive and fun. The bar downstairs is a blast, and the scene is for younger professionals. It helps that Mannys Steak house is attached to it as well. $30 for overnight valet is steep though.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Tempoman18,

Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay and for the fabulous five star review! I look forward to welcoming you back soon, for a delicious meal at Manny’s, or to groove to our live DJ in the Living Room bar!

Happy Holidays!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Let me start off by saying that I am not some old person writing this review. I am young and love to party and have a good time. That being said, this hotel is even too much for me.
The hotel has typical W decor - trendy and very dark. But, there are only 6 rooms per floor. With that, all room are near the elevator and the ice machine. So, you can hear everyone who gets on and off the elevator, slams their hotel room door closed, is in the hallway partying or making out, etc. The hotel also plays music near the elevator - we could hear this music in our room. This is fine during the day but very annoying at 1 am when I am trying to sleep. The hotel has a Bar on the 27th floor and a club on the 1st floor. Apparently, the hotel is typically sold out on the weekends with club goers. This is fine until the club closes down the the party is moved into the hotel rooms on my floor. People were literally shouting all night long! The hotel seems fine with this and seems to cater to this bahavior. So much so that the hotel even provides a "screw" kit in the room.
The beds are also awful! And I mean awful! The sheets feel like sand paper and left my skin covered in a rash. The bed is hard as a rock! My fiance' even laid the pillows on top of the bed and slept on the pillows just trying to get some sort of softness to the matress. So, even if we could have slept through all of the shouting, we would have been awake anyway due to lack of comfort.
The only good thing about this hotel is the staff. They were all very nice and very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor so that the people in the nearby building can't look into your...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Bella92694,

Thank you for communicating your recent experience at W Minneapolis. My personal apologies we fell short of expectations during your stay. Due to the unique architectural shape of the Foshay Tower, the W offers more than 50 different room layouts, and the number of guest rooms per floor varies, with the most being 12. It would be my pleasure to make a permanent comment in your guest profile requesting a room away from the lifts and ice machines. If you would like me to proceed with this option, please see my direct message.

In addition, please understand safety and security of our guests is taken very seriously and I apologize you experienced a rather noisy stay. I will bring this to the attention of our Director of Engineering and Risk to ensure noise policies and procedures are being followed.

Lastly, W strives for every guest to be as comfortable as possible and is committed to providing solutions to make it enjoyable for everyone. W Minneapolis-The Foshay hopes that we have a future opportunity to gain back your trust and appreciate your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Living about an hour from Minneapolis, I decided to book a Fri night to go out in downtown Minneapolis for a stay-cation with my wife. From the moment we arrived until our departure, the service was excellent, friendly, and fast.

The rooms have been elegantly updated without taking anything away from the charm that this older building has to offer. It would have been nicer if the lighting was brighter in the hallways.

In the rooms, there is a well-stocked mini-bar. I felt the items in the mini-bar were overpriced (beyond the convenience premium), but other travelers might not feel the same way. It would have been nice to have space in the small refrigerator for our own items or a separate unit.

The bathrooms have plenty of space with a beautiful over-sized shower. Of course, there is never enough counter space for my wife and I to easily share when we travel.

We spent happy hour in the 1st floor lounge area called The Living Room. It was great to hang out by the warm fireplace on a chilly evening sipping martinis and enjoying appetizers. Everyone was dressed to impress, which added to the experience.

We enjoyed The Living Room so much, that we ended up eating a light dinner off the Manny's menu before we left for the evening to experience another downtown attraction.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger, but they also cost more.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Welcome, Dana K!

Thank you for the marvelous review from your recent W Minneapolis visit! I will be happy to pass on your feedback regarding our excellent service to our team; your words are much appreciated! I am so glad to hear you took comfort in the plush, oversized furniture in the Living Room bar, and enjoyed bites and sips by the fireplace. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife again soon!

Cheers!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Stayed here a week ago. Service was excellent. Lobby and rooms were upscale. After receiving room service I got a follow up call to make sure everything was up to my satisfaction. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very modern. The price for the accommodations was very reasonable. They business center was well equipped and the breakfast menu was great.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Greetings, Earl K,

Thank you for making W Minneapolis-The Foshay your choice when visiting the Midwest; it was pleasure to have you as our guest! So glad you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from the guest room, to the in room dining menu, and Wired, our business center. I look forward to delivering another Whatever/Whenever experience on your next stay!

Holiday Wishes,
Casselton, North Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed here a week ago for a Vikings game. Was in room 206. Terrible view, handicapped room also. Really cold in there, cranked the heat to 80 and still made no difference.
Pretty reasonable for a room downtown. The $30 for overnight valet is worth it. They even let us keep the car there after we checked out and went to the game.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello CurtandJess,

Thank you for making W Minneapolis-The Foshay your hotel of choice when visiting for the Vikings game last week! I am sorry to hear you did not find the room temperature comfortable and did not enjoy the view. Please see my direct follow up message regarding these issues. Thank you again for your feedback, as W Minneapolis takes guest comments seriously and strives to create a fabulous experience for each and every guest stay.

Norman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Compared to other upscale chain hotels, this one seems geared to young people aiming to party down. I thought it was not as well designed as the Radisson Blu or inviting as the Grand (a Kimpton). The Foshay is a beautiful landmark, but only the elevators are evidence of this legacy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hello Rodomontade,

Thank you for contributing a review on your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. My apologies the art deco inspired design and contemporary setting was not most comfortable for you. We look forward to welcoming you for a fabulous Whatever/Whenever guest service experience soon.

Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!