“Stylish” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
“Stylish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Located in ther midst of downtown, this stylish hotel is very comfortable with great amenities. My only reason for not giving it a 5 star rating was my ersonal preference for retaining the original art deco architecture thorought. The main bar was excellent and very friendly. The restaurant was superb, but quite expensive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Greetings, baritoneglck,

Thank you for following up on your recent W Minneapolis-The Foshay experience. I am happy to hear you took comfort in your conveniently located Foshay Tower guest room with fabulous amenities and luxury bedding. We look forward to having you back for another great stay or for a sip in the Living Room Bar.

648 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

For context, this comes from a die hard SPG fan who has lifetime elite status with SPG. I was excited for the opportunity to stay at the Foshay due to its historical significance to Minneapolis. However, the room smelled funny, the elevators slow, and the staff unhelpful. The first two are self descriptive, so I will elaborate on the third. Staff provided errant answers to questions, the driver of the Acura went into a rage at some other driver before realizing he had passengers in the car. And what's with the 'we won't pick you up' policy? If returning to Minneapolis, I would not stay at the W again.

Hello TheOpsDoctor,

Thank you for communicating your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. W Minneapolis is firmly committed to providing a Whatever/Whenever W experience. We appreciate your brand loyalty to Starwood Preferred Guest & your reflections are very important to me. It’s upsetting to read that your guest room had a smell, and the onsite lifts were slow in the historic Foshay Tower. I would like to extend my personal apologies that our talent did not meet your expectations regarding your inquiries, and the behavior of the Acura driver was less than desirable. These behaviors, I can assure you, will be addressed immediately. I would love to have a future opportunity gain your trust back within W Minneapolis-The Foshay. Please see my follow up message regarding details of your stay.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very professional, quite, nice, all around a perfect 10... Doormen are the most generous in helping with bags, valet service and directions ANYWHERE. The front desk will cater to your needs as needed. Stayed here twice and I am from MIami, I highly recommend it. Some rooms are small as to the higher floor you get the smaller the room but the better the view. The location is extremely central as I am a runner and the beautiful Minneapolis River is closely located. I love the dark look in the hotel it potrays a quite, peaceful environment while vacationing.

Room Tip: HIgher rooms better view but smaller size.
Hello Marlyn R,

What a wonderful review to share with the Trip Advisor community; thank you for staying with us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! It is genuinely the pleasure of our talent, from Welcome Ambassadors, Wheels valet, the Welcome Desk and everyone else at W, to accommodate your needs and make each stay most memorable! Come back soon to relax and rejuvenate, while taking in breathtaking views of downtown Minneapolis. Thank you Marlyn R!

San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed at W for a conference as the hotels next to the conference center was sold out. The price is quite a bit cheaper than the conference hotels. What a delight! W is not too far away from the conference center and is located in one of the most important historical buildings in Minneapolis. That alone is worth a visit. The room is reasonably large (compared to other W hotels) with large windows looking out towards the city. The front desk staff was also very efficient and helpful in pointing out directions and recommending restaurants.

Room Tip: Make sure you check out the Fashay Museum and the observation desk on the top floor.
Hello bin.gu,

Thank you for choosing W Minneapolis for accommodations during your conference, what a pleasure to have you as our guest! The Foshay Tower is truly one of the greatest Art Deco landmarks, modeled after the Washington Monument and the only skyscraper listed on the National Register of Historic Places. So glad you visited the Foshay Museum and observation deck to take in the unique history of the building! Come back soon for business, pleasure or to celebrate another Whatever/Whenever experience.

Cheers!
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The W Minneapolis has comfortable rooms, a contemporary lobby, and reasonably sized rooms but the hotel is too dark. I know it is one of the themes of this chain but that doesn't make it enjoyable. Even with every light on in my room it was exceedingly difficult to read the newspaper. I mentioned this to the gentleman at front desk and he said they know it is dark but all W's are dark. I would not stay here again as intend to go back to my usual hotel at the IDS Center.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hello Mike D,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We do realize the hotel is rather dim; to accentuate the art deco inspired contemporary design. As W’s Whatever/Whenever service promise, it would be our pleasure to ensure you have lighting that meets your expectations set in your guestroom prior to arrival. I am happy to add this preference to your guest profile so we can make your next stay most memorable. Please see my private message regarding this request. I would love to have you visit us again, thank you!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. It really encompasses all of what the W stand for. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Lisa and Danielle recommended great venues for my friends and I to enjoy. We even got complimentary appetizers sent to our table. These girls were great to work with and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Welcome, Greg I,

Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! It will be a pleasure to share your fabulous feedback regarding the property and our stellar concierges, Lisa and Danielle! Our talent at W is here for Whatever/Whenever and we look forward to having you in house again soon!

Best Regards,
Cypress, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here for two night after a business trip in St. Paul. I picked the W Foshay as it was centrally located to all my family in town and I wanted to be close to restaurants in case I needed to get dinner by myself.

The rooms are beautiful and well decorated. They were clean and modern and the bed was also very comfortable. The bathroom was very modern and very clean with nice spa quality soaps.

The only two issues with the room was that someone had taken a pen across the large flat panel television and it hindered watching it. You would think that someone would catch this and have it replaced before the next guest. I also liked the rain head shower, but would have like either a larger head or more water pressure. I also think if a hotel was aiming for the luxury segment, it would offer slippers, but I could not find any.

The workout facility was top notch and I was there twice. They have a great selection of equipment and free weights.

The attached Key's Cafe was also very handle for breakfast and a few lunches as well. Great food and great prices.

At night, they sometimes have a DJ and a dance club going on, but I could never hear them from my room late at night, so this was never an issue.

There is no self parking and the valet is $30 a night, so be prepared for this.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room. My 4th floor room had a view of the wall of the building next door.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Hello Norman M,

Thank you for sharing your review from your recent W Minneapolis stay! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with at the iconic Foshay Tower, conveniently located in the heart of the city.
My personal apologies the television set’s visibility was not functioning properly. I am also sorry to hear the water pressure in your shower did not meet your expectations. Please see my direct message regarding your guest room number so I can address these issues with our Engineering team to remedy.

Thank you once again for your feedback to improve our property. It would be a pleasure to have you as our guest again on your next visit. Please reach out to me directly in preparation for your next stay, and I will ensure slippers are in your guest room prior to arrival, for those chilly Midwest evenings!

Best Regards,
Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!