“Great hotel, but some minor things keep it from being perfect.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #11 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Cypress, Texas, United States
“Great hotel, but some minor things keep it from being perfect.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here for two night after a business trip in St. Paul. I picked the W Foshay as it was centrally located to all my family in town and I wanted to be close to restaurants in case I needed to get dinner by myself.

The rooms are beautiful and well decorated. They were clean and modern and the bed was also very comfortable. The bathroom was very modern and very clean with nice spa quality soaps.

The only two issues with the room was that someone had taken a pen across the large flat panel television and it hindered watching it. You would think that someone would catch this and have it replaced before the next guest. I also liked the rain head shower, but would have like either a larger head or more water pressure. I also think if a hotel was aiming for the luxury segment, it would offer slippers, but I could not find any.

The workout facility was top notch and I was there twice. They have a great selection of equipment and free weights.

The attached Key's Cafe was also very handle for breakfast and a few lunches as well. Great food and great prices.

At night, they sometimes have a DJ and a dance club going on, but I could never hear them from my room late at night, so this was never an issue.

There is no self parking and the valet is $30 a night, so be prepared for this.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room. My 4th floor room had a view of the wall of the building next door.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Hello Norman M,

Thank you for sharing your review from your recent W Minneapolis stay! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with at the iconic Foshay Tower, conveniently located in the heart of the city.
My personal apologies the television set’s visibility was not functioning properly. I am also sorry to hear the water pressure in your shower did not meet your expectations. Please see my direct message regarding your guest room number so I can address these issues with our Engineering team to remedy.

Thank you once again for your feedback to improve our property. It would be a pleasure to have you as our guest again on your next visit. Please reach out to me directly in preparation for your next stay, and I will ensure slippers are in your guest room prior to arrival, for those chilly Midwest evenings!

Best Regards,

625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I've stayed here three times, and each time it gets better and I love the W Minneapolis Foshay more and more.

They run a tight ship. Seamless operation. As a business traveler I'm looking for comfort, efficiency and a sense of style, but at a price that won't break the bank (I've been impressed with the low rates I've found during my last two stays). Great location walkable to lots in downtown.

The rooms are so comfortable and have the magical W sexiness. The showers are fantastic. Desk/chair comfortable for working (although plugs are inconvenient).

Whatever/Whenever service is legit. The go above and beyond. Acura service is also amazing. USE IT!

Special compliments to Hannah at the front desk and Clayton at Whatever/Whenever.

Room Tip: Since this is a historic building, the rooms aren't uniform. All of the suites are different lay...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hello MarkyMarkTXNYC,

Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! So happy you have been taking comfort in our fabulous guest rooms including the luxurious rainforest showers for relaxing and our desks and chairs for your business needs.

Because of the unique architecture in the Washington Monument replicated Foshay Tower, there are nearly 60 different room designs and layouts. On your next visit, it would be our pleasure to provide you with a power strip outlet to ease convenience for the guest room plug in. It is the Whatever/Whenever service promise of W Hotels to accommodate your needs and grant your wishes!

Your kind words regarding the guest service and operations team are wonderful to hear! I will personally extend your compliments to our talent, and we look forward to your next stay!

Thank you!
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was here one night for a business trip and was surprised at the amount of space I had. Of course, I could be a bit jaded coming from New York but it felt almost like a suite. My company, however, paid dearly for the room so I'm not sure I would have shelled out the money otherwise but I could have actually stayed 2 more nights.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello Carmen B,

What a pleasure to have you as our guest, thank you for staying at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I would love to welcome you back for another business venture, or a weekend getaway to the historic Foshay Tower to sip, bask and celebrate!

Cheers!
Cheney, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I used to see my doctor in the Foshay tower before it became the W so I wanted to see the transformation to a hotel. I stayed 2 nights in October. The location for the light rail from the airport is excellent. The hotel itself is quite dark inside and you walk past a dark bar area to the check in desk. I was greeted warmly and told I had been upgraded to a king corner room.

The room was small but well designed. I had 4 windows and the windows must have been of high quality with sound proofing as I heard no street noise. I was on the 16th floor with a view to the southwest. At night the city lights were pleasant especially the Target corporate headquarters. Target has a huge light display on the top of the building that reminded me of Blade Runner.

Knowing coffee makers were not in the room from previous reviews, I asked for one. A Keurig was brought to my room but only decaffeinated coffee was provided. I called the front desk and they sent the Jay to get some caffeinated pods from Target which is just a couple of blocks away. One nice touch, the coffee condiments have real half and half. This is so much better than chemical Coffeemate.

There is also coffee at 6:30 weekdays in the bar downstairs. There were also copies of the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Minneapolis Star Tribune and USA Today. Good selection in my opinion.

You can walk all over downtown easily, shop and do the usual city activities. Loring Park is a moderate walk away and you can get some green space relief there. There are also extensive walking paths along the river on the west side of downtown.

For groceries, Lunds is on Hennepin at around 12th. Great selection of food. If you are more organic in your eating, Whole Foods is on the other side of downtown.

Jay, who brought me the Keurig coffee also did duty at the front doors. I rarely opened a door to get in and out of the hotel. The staff is friendly, helpful and I had a great stay.

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong with a corner room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hello franB479,

Thank you for sharing your unique backstory and reviewing your recent W Minneapolis experience in the historic Foshay Tower! It is our pleasure to enhance your stay with W’s Whatever/Whenever service promise, and accommodate any needs you may have. I am excited to share your kind words with Jay and the rest of our team, thank you! W Minnie looks forward to having you as our guest again on your next venture to the Midwest!

Best Wishes,
SAVAGE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

So, we didn't stay in a hotel room but took the tour of the top of the foshay tower. It was amazing! The views are spectacular and they also have a bit of a museum that shows what the place was like in it's glory days.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Shelley R,

Thank you for visiting W Minneapolis in the iconic Foshay Tower! I am so happy you came to explore the Foshay Tower museum and observation deck on the 30th floor! It is a great way to relive history and check out amazing 360 degree views of Minneapolis. We welcome you back anytime for more breathtaking views, or dinner and a nights stay in one of our wonderful guest rooms.

Cheers!
Los Gatos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Built in 1929, the Foshay building is a marvelous example of Art Deco. It opened as the W hotel in 2008. The rooms, decorated in purple and gray, are quiet and comfortable. I especially liked the HVAC system which was quiet and kept the room at the perfect temperature.

The hotel features an observation deck on the 30th floor and a very popular bar on the 27th floor. The Prohibition Bar retains all the character of the board room it once was, with its leather and wood interior. It has several rooms, nooks, and crannies where you and your friends can sit, sip, and chat. It even has a balcony if the main floor gets crowded.

I stayed at the W while attending a conference at the convention center. It's about a ten minute walk away. Minneapolis has an interior walkway system that makes the walk to the convention center easy even in bad weather.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Welcome, DigitalRabbit,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your recent stay at W Minneapolis with the TripAdvisor community! What a marvelous way to spend your stay, exploring our museum and observation deck in our historic skyscraper and sipping freely at the sky high Prohibition bar. The Minneapolis skyway system is a gem for a quick walk to the convention center for business, or access to acclaimed dining and fabulous shopping. See you soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was my second visit to Minneapolis. My first visit was good while staying at another facility in the area. However, my stay at the Foshay was a better one! The location is excellent, along with the great staff and comfortable rooms!

Room Tip: Corner suites - nice and quiet!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello LambertB,

Thank you for the great review from your recent experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! So happy to hear you enjoyed our convenient location in the heart of the city, and basked in comfort and relaxation in your guest room. It would be a pleasure to have you as a guest again soon!

Whatever/Whenever,
Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!