“Great hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Florida, Uruguay
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for our Team meeting the last week of August 2013. It is in a convenient downtown location close to downtown restaurants and shops. The service is excellent and the style and decor are what are to be expected of the W: upscale, yet minimalistic. Everything was great here, but there is just one item I should point out, please be aware of elevator #2. We got stuck on it for 15 minutes which made us late for our team outing. I kind of thought it was amusing, but my coworkers becoming claustrophic and hyperventilating on the floor were not as enamored by the experience. In subsequent conversations with the hotel staff I understand this has been an ongoing issue. There were signs posted on it intermittently that it was operating, then temporarily out of service, etc. so stay off that one if you can! :) Otherwise, excellent stay.

Room Tip: Avoid elevator 2 or you may get stuck, at least for a few minutes.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Hello ckckckckckck,
Thank you so much for visiting W Minneapolis in the iconic Foshay Tower! I am glad to hear you enjoyed our innovative 1920’s style in a soaring icon of art deco splendor.
Please accept my apology for the malfunction of second lift for you and your associates during your stay. This feedback will be shared with my leadership team to look at ways to continually improve our elevator services.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon, for Whatever/Whenever!
Best Regards,

563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The W Minneapolis is in a great location in downtown Minneapolis. The lobby and the meeting rooms are well appointed and the lounge area is very trendy. Rooms are comfortable and have everything you need.

Greetings, DennisDykau,
Thank you so much for the stellar five star review - it was great to have you as our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I invite you back anytime to the historic Foshay Tower for another fabulous W experience!
Cheers!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was a business trip for me and I was in town for a week. My business took me to Roseville just outside of Minneapolis but the hotels in that surrounding area have been less than stellar. The W Foshay is less than 15 minutes away from the office and it has everything you need. Nice steakhouse (Manny's), breakfast, bar, fantastic lobby area, service was excellent including the valet service. The beds were comfortable, maid service took care of everything including new shampoo when needed. There are also plenty of nearby restaurants and shopping. If you like Indian Cuisine, which I do, there is a fabulous restaurant across the street. The only negative, the fitness room, called Sweat, isn't very good.

Hello Scott B,
It was a pleasure having you as our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! It is our pleasure to accommodate all of your needs under the roof of the iconic Foshay Tower, from your guest room and meals, to valet. I will be happy to pass on your kind words to our guest services team, including style and wheels! Sweat, W’s fitness center, will be undergoing renovations in the near future, sure to be a great fit!
Thank you!
colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

good hotel clean and modern ..but enough cute stuff ..that hasn't changed in years. need an update ..good for parties at the bar on the weekend , but i'm too old for that. Interesting for the kids because its different ... but amenities are very pricey or as thy say spendy.

Room Tip: all room are god
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello nivea21,
Thank you for the feedback from your most recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. The Living Room bar is definitely a hot spot on the weekends, with a spinning DJ and flowing cocktails. The historic Foshay Tower really has something for everyone, including the Foshay Museum on the 30th floor and breathtaking citywide views from the Observation Deck. We welcome you back anytime!
Best Wishes,
Tupelo, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I recently visited Minneapolis for a conference and had the pleasure of staying at the W Minneapolis-The Foshay. The valet area was small, and I had to circle the property upon arrival, as there were many people attempting to pick-up/drop off cars at that time; however, the staff were efficient and rectified the problem quickly. I did not request a room upgrade but received one upon arrival, and the room was large and comfortable. The hotel was dim and definitely designed with intention of being modern, which I can see to be a selling point for some and a negative point for others. It really did not matter to me. The room and hallways were always clean during my stay, and staff members were always helpful. Ordered room service once, and this was also excellent. The hotel was well-located and within walking distance of the convention center. Overall, a great experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Greetings JLS7615,

Thank you for the spectacular review of W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I am happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to receive a complimentary room upgrade upon arrival. I will be sure to pass on your kind words about the guest service to our talent, and I invite you back again to enjoy another fantastic W experience, be it for business or pleasure!

Best Wishes,
Pikeville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

So nice, in the heart of everything!! Staff was very friendly and helpful!! Will def stay here again!!!! We had such a nice room, reasonable price for a nice hotel! They truly live up to their theory of the W! Whatever whenever and the staff lives up to that theory!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Hello seasonb0202,

Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay and for sharing your great review with the TripAdvisor community! It is our pleasure to ensure you get our Whatever/Whenever service; we can’t wait to have you back again!

Cheers!
Buffalo Grove, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the W Minneapolis-The Foshay on the recommendation of a co worker. It was easy to find from the airport. Valet parking was also very easy. There was always someone present when dropping off and getting my car back was always very timely. The staff was very polite and helpful. When I walked in for the first time I thought I had left my sun glasses on, but no it was just dim in the entire hotel. My first thought was that I am not cool enough for this place...but I became accustomed to the lighting. Check in was efficient and friendly. You have to use your room key to make the elevator work which I liked as it felt like a nice security feature for a downtown hotel. the room décor was nicely appointed and fun, if not practical. BEWARE of the very expensive mini bar. I liked that the closet had a light that was on a sensor and would light up when I opened the closet door. The bathroom shower was divine and inspired all sorts of remodeling fantasies for back at home. The complimentary lotion, soaps, shampoos, etc were a step up from the norm. Day two when I awoke too early to get a cup of coffee anywhere the front desk immediately arranged to have a Kurig brought up to my room and housekeeping continued to replenish it during my stay. I thought that was a nice touch. It was day two when I realized that there was a building next door and I hoped that I had curtains pulled when dressing...but couldn't swear to it before the realization. Internet pricing was confusing...when I logged on it said I would be charged, but when I checked out it was free....
Overall it was a nice experience that I would repeat. It felt a little "vacation like" while being away from home on business.

Hello Shelly P,

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, thank you for taking the time to review your stay at W Minneapolis in the historic Foshay Tower! Your feedback is much appreciated, I am glad you liked the guest bathroom complete with sink side Bliss amenities, and felt additional security with our key card admittance to the lifts. I welcome you back again soon; we will have some fresh coffee ready for you to sip on!

Whatever/Whenever,
Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!