“A pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 48 hotels in Minneapolis
Buffalo Grove, Illinois, United States
“A pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the W Minneapolis-The Foshay on the recommendation of a co worker. It was easy to find from the airport. Valet parking was also very easy. There was always someone present when dropping off and getting my car back was always very timely. The staff was very polite and helpful. When I walked in for the first time I thought I had left my sun glasses on, but no it was just dim in the entire hotel. My first thought was that I am not cool enough for this place...but I became accustomed to the lighting. Check in was efficient and friendly. You have to use your room key to make the elevator work which I liked as it felt like a nice security feature for a downtown hotel. the room décor was nicely appointed and fun, if not practical. BEWARE of the very expensive mini bar. I liked that the closet had a light that was on a sensor and would light up when I opened the closet door. The bathroom shower was divine and inspired all sorts of remodeling fantasies for back at home. The complimentary lotion, soaps, shampoos, etc were a step up from the norm. Day two when I awoke too early to get a cup of coffee anywhere the front desk immediately arranged to have a Kurig brought up to my room and housekeeping continued to replenish it during my stay. I thought that was a nice touch. It was day two when I realized that there was a building next door and I hoped that I had curtains pulled when dressing...but couldn't swear to it before the realization. Internet pricing was confusing...when I logged on it said I would be charged, but when I checked out it was free....
Overall it was a nice experience that I would repeat. It felt a little "vacation like" while being away from home on business.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hello Shelly P,

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, thank you for taking the time to review your stay at W Minneapolis in the historic Foshay Tower! Your feedback is much appreciated, I am glad you liked the guest bathroom complete with sink side Bliss amenities, and felt additional security with our key card admittance to the lifts. I welcome you back again soon; we will have some fresh coffee ready for you to sip on!

Whatever/Whenever,

652 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband booked this hotel when we stayed in Minneapolis last month. I'm from the area, but he travels to Minneapolis frequently for work. I decided to join him so that I could visit with family and friends and do some networking with old colleagues. We usually stay at the Hyatt (because we like to get the Hyatt points for our annual stay at the Grand Hyatt Kauai), but it was booked so my husband chose the W so we could get the Starwood points. My first thought was, "Please don't let our room be next to the TCF Tower!" You see, the W is located in the historic Foshay Tower (which used to just be an office building), which butts right up against the TCF Tower...which my old firm is located in. I knew that all of the offices on that side of the TCF Tower looked directly into the Foshay and I wasn't sure what type of window coverings the W had used to address the situation. Luckily I didn't have to deal with this situation as our room was on the other side of the hotel, but I mentioned that I was staying at the W to my old office manager and she said that she's spoken to the W management multiple times about needing to warn guests that everyone in the TCF Tower can see them naked. Apparently the windows of the TCF are tinted and because the people in the W can't see into the TCF, people in the W may be assuming that no one can see into the W either, which is not the case! When this was brought to the W manager's attention, his response apparently was "our clientele is the type that probably won't care if people can see them naked." Well, I care and if we ever end up having to stay at the W again, I'll make sure that our room is not on the side of the TCF Tower. Like I said at the top, this is your standard (not totally awesome) W hotel...very hip, modern, cool music, furnishings, low lighting, good service, good location, etc. Just keep your blinds closed!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the TCF Tower for privacy.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in early August 2013, for an evening out on our anniversary. Good service, and location. We did the corner room, which is one of their larger rooms.

As with other hotels attempting to be “cool” (we have sampled multiple art-deco hotels in the South Beach area of Miami), I am always surprised at the complete lack of design and decorating common sense that gets excused for coolness. When they do these build-out projects, someone should be assigned as a check on the whimsy of the lead designer.

The hallway carpets were dark and sophisticated, but showed extreme amounts of dust and dirt. So either be prepared to vacuum many times per day, or don’t put them in.

The woodwork (including the room doors) are made of dark wood, which showed every bit of minor damage, and therefore looked beat-up and old

At least one of the interior walls was finished with some kind of a high-gloss purple paint, which clearly showed every blemish, every spot of dirt, every imperfection, and it really detracted from the appearance of the room.

We had to set toiletries on the windowsill, because the stylish vanity area didn’t actually have enough space to set anything, despite the crazily oversized bathroom.

With a large amount of square footage in the room, a separate water closet, or water closet/shower could have easily been done. Heck, even basic Courtyards, that bastion of business travel sameness, can get that done.

I guess the designer would faint if words like practical, neautral, traveler friendly, and efficient entered into the conversation, but that would have helped this property a lot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Greetings, MidwestExplorer23,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at W Minneapolis, I am glad you enjoyed our Whatever/Whenever service! The historic Foshay Tower has an unbeatable location right in the heart of the city and Minneapolis entertainment.

I would like to personally apologize your expectations regarding the hallway carpets, woodwork condition and water closet vanity space were not met. Please see my direct message as I would like to ensure our style issues are promptly addressed. I look forward to connecting and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Maple Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I liked the evening we had at the W but dont really know if the experience was completely for me. Don't let it scare you off as all the folks we met at the door, front desk and in the building were great andi room was also great.
We did get charged for something that we didn't buy on the mini bar and the drinks on the 47th floor were a little high but you go there for the experience.
Loved all the old wood work and being able to have breakfast right out of the lobby was also nice.
If you are younger and a city dweller this place should suit your needs just fine.

Room Tip: The front desk may work with you if they have addl. rooms available
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello MapleLakeJoe,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. Your kind words regarding the friendliness of our talent are much appreciated, and it will be a pleasure to share with the Welcome Ambassadors and Welcome Desk Agents! My apologies you were mischarged for an item from the Munchie box, please see my follow up message to resolve this error. I welcome you back soon for another Whatever/Whenever experience!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I enjoyed the W though I concur with the comments about turning up the lights just a teeny tiny bit in the lobby...thigh and calf bruises from running into things might match the purple decor, but they hurt. Kidding (sort of) aside, the room was excellent, housekeeping was absolutely immaculate, the doormen were a huge help securing friendly and cost-effective drivers in the mornings, and the food at the lobby bar was outstanding. The grilled cheese on the bar menu might be my favorite hotel upscale-comfort food meal ever.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Welcome, thelivingjuj,

Your comments are much appreciated; thank you for being a guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I am excited to convey your stellar feedback to our Style and Welcome Ambassador teams regarding your stay! I agree, the grilled cheese from the Living Room is a total fave, and goes great with the Epiphany- a vodka pear and sparkling champagne W signature cocktail. Cheers!

Pierport, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Kind of a hipster hotel. Friendly staff and quick check-in.
Very dim mood lighting in the lobby and hallways.
Room was excellent and well appointed and everything seemed new.
I was on the 4th floor and had a view of a brick wall 10 feet away.
Huge shower and quiet room.
Needs more easily accessed power outlets at the desk. WIFI was not free, i can't remember the last time I was charged for internet access. For a hipster hotel that was so 90's.

Other than a bit pretentiousness for my taste it was a very nice hotel.

Greetings, Pierport,

Thank you for being our guest in the historically chic Foshay Tower at W Minneapolis! I am glad you enjoyed your room and the lovely rainforest shower stocked with Bliss bath amenities. With nearly 30 floors of dazzling guest rooms, W Minny has an abundance of rooms with great views of the downtown. Wi-Fi is complimentary in the Living Room, and also to new Starwood Preferred Guest enrollers. Please let me know when you will be visiting again so I can personally make your next W experience most memorable!

Warm Regards,
Western Springs, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My first shout out goes to Jason who greeted us the first day and every day during our four day stay. He went above and beyond to make our family comfortable - even getting a larger room for us given the fact that we were traveling with our kids. Next shout out is to Erin who we met in the bar every night after each White Sox game. She was great! And she too went above and beyond to take care of our kids (and us!). The rest of the hotel was just ok. Not worth what we spent. The rooms seemed a little tired. I was expecting a little bit having stayed at other W hotels.

Room Tip: Room 611 is a large room and great for a family.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello WSFamily050,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. It will be my pleasure to share your great feedback with Jason and Erin, for going above and beyond to make your W stay most comfortable! I would love to personally welcome you and your family back to indulge in another W Whatever/Whenever experience.

Best Wishes,
Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!