“Birthday suite experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, United States
“Birthday suite experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked the Fantastic Suite a couple months ago for my 21st birthday in June -- when we checked in, we were upgraded to the Marvelous Suite (a great plus). It was neat to walk in with the club to the right by the entrance. That along with the lighting set the atmosphere for my night! Though I will mention that when we were checking out the next morning, it felt quite dark and rather odd at 11 AM. =/

The separate living room in the suite was great and the seats were comfortable for everyone. The room overall was great as well as the bedroom. Weird to have the bathroom door not be able to close (it just slides shut).

The only downside was our room was quite warm the whole night, especially with multiple people present for the party. We turned the A/C ALL the way down to 50 and asked for a fan to help cool us off as well. The fan was only one of the small ones and didn't help much. We ended up leaving to go to some clubs that night and when we got back, the room was only 2 degrees cooler. Mentioned it at the front desk when we left.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hi Alisha C,
Thank you for celebrating a milestone birthday at W Minnie! I am happy to hear you enjoyed the accessibility and atmosphere of the Living Room bar. My apologies you did not find the room temperature cool enough. I have brought this to the attention of our Engineering department for routine inspections. Please see my follow up message to further our conversation. I thank you for the review and have a fun summer!
Cheers,

627 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Plymouth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

W Hotels are always my favorite to go to. We held our wedding reception here two years ago and came back this year to celebrate our anniversary. The W staff always goes above and beyond to make us feel like home. They even left us a great picture frame w/ our wedding picture in it from 2 years back and a few other goodies as well! The rooms are nothing but luxury. I love too the historic feeling of the Foshay. Best beds that I've ever slept in. So good, that we actually bought a W bed from their store a few years ago. Will definitely come back again and again and again. It's definitely one of my favorite hotels. We live in the Minneapolis area, but it's a great place to get away and relax! Thanks W!!

Room Tip: Any room is great. We've stayed in a few different rooms and have all been perfect.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Lundys1,

It is my pleasure to read and respond to your wonderful review! Congratulations on your anniversary and thank you for your brand loyalty. Our W signature beds are marvelous; so glad you could bring a bit of the W home with you. Whether it is for a celebration or simply a little R&R, I welcome you back for another great W experience!

Sip.Bask.Celebrate.
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Lovely hotel with great 'W' style on the inside and on the outside so do not forget to go outside and look up. It is a lovely building on the outside and the inside. Across the road from the hotel is a great Indian restaurant too! But stay and have a drink in the bar - cool place.
Love the rooms - nice size, good facilities.

One thing I love about MSP is the network of walkways. When it gets hot or cold you can stay inside and walk for miles around the street networks through buildings and inside mall like passageways. Love it.

Not convinced on the self check-out terminals but I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Staff were there to help if needed and did so well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello Brit_in_the_US,
Thank you for the fabulous review! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the accessible downtown location and connecting skyways of the iconic Foshay Tower. Be sure to check out the breathtaking 360 degree city views from our observation deck on the 30th floor during your next W experience.

SIP.BASK.CELEBRATE.
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The neon pink hotel lobby might have been cool ten years ago, but now it's just a migraine waiting to happen. The rooms are a good size, the bathroom was a nice size and well equipped. But the building is old and it shows. Our room smelled musty and there was no fan in the bathroom, probably no way to put one in, either, and so the room absorbed all the shower steam so maybe that's why. The on-site steak house looked amazing but didn't get a chance to try it. The gym looked great at first - points for having restrooms and water right there - but the cardio equipment was old and half of it was non-functional. There was a confused looking maintenance guy there, trying to figure out how to put an elliptical machine back together, during most of my workout.

The staff was very nice and helpful. On check-in they switched me to a room with two beds since I was traveling with my sister. Very convenient location to explore downtown. You can walk around easily from here.

There was a ridiculous charge of $6 to use the business center for 15 minutes in order to print out my boarding pass. Not cool. Didn't get to check out the upstairs bar because it is closed on Sundays. Too bad, it looks nice on-line. The downstairs bar is comfy and nice place to relax a bit before/after dinner.

All in all, this is a nice hotel, but it desperately needs a facelift. The neon has got to go. And the rooms just felt kind of worn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Welcome Elily,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the historic Foshay Tower. I am sorry to hear SWEAT, our fitness center, was not fully operational during your stay. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have shared your review with the department leaders at W Minneapolis to ensure equipment is set to all functionality and safety standards.

I am glad we were able to provide room accommodations to fit your liking. I invite you to utilize either the departure kiosk or Concierge team for your complimentary boarding pass printing needs. I hope that you will consider staying at W Minneapolis in the future; it was my pleasure to read and respond to your review.

Warm Wishes,
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I travel to the Twin Cities a lot and have stayed at most of the hotels in town. Great deal at the W on the weekend I was there. Exactly what you would expect from the W in terms of decor and room. I had dinner at the steakhouse in the hotel which was a treat as well.

There was a slight delay on room service delivery the first night I was there but they quickly called up and informed me. The on duty manager actually came up with the staff who delivered the food and took care of the bill for me on the spot.

One of the best in town and great service!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hi Samuel C!

Thank you so much for the fabulous review! W Minneapolis takes pride in our Whatever/Whenever service standard and I am pleased your in room dining experience was remedied quickly and efficiently. I wish you safe travels to your next W hotel destination. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest!

Cheers,
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for a convention recently. The decor provided a very modern feel. The staff were friendly enough. You do pay for the extras at this hotel. The prohibition bar happy hour was a fun place to visit and finding a quiet spot o read in the living room was awesome during the day. The concierge we spoke with was very helpful as well as Jason the young man who helped us with our bags. Overall an ok stay.

Hello Judyakaslice,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at W Minneapolis. I am happy you got to take in the gorgeous views of the city from Prohibition, and glad you could relax in the Living Room. It is my pleasure to pass on your kind words to the team. Hope to see you soon for another W experience!

Best Wishes,
Walker, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The staff at the W, Foshay responded to our concerns regarding a pet friendly atmosphere. They were tremendously accommodating, and tried to respond to our concerns. I appreciated their make the best out of a difficult situation. They were kind to us, gracious, and tried to understand. Still, the process of booking a hotel through a third party (Priceline, for this stay) should be as transparent and customer-friendly as any other means of doing business.

The hotel is delightful, historic, and surrounded by wonderful restaurants, and entertaining venues.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Mark O,

Hello from W Minneapolis! Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community! We are committed to make sure that the booking process is simple for any guest trying to secure accommodations at our hotel. We appreciate your gracious feedback and glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. Cheers to a safe & warm summer.

Best,
Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!