“Out dated decor, average rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #10 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Florida
“Out dated decor, average rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The neon pink hotel lobby might have been cool ten years ago, but now it's just a migraine waiting to happen. The rooms are a good size, the bathroom was a nice size and well equipped. But the building is old and it shows. Our room smelled musty and there was no fan in the bathroom, probably no way to put one in, either, and so the room absorbed all the shower steam so maybe that's why. The on-site steak house looked amazing but didn't get a chance to try it. The gym looked great at first - points for having restrooms and water right there - but the cardio equipment was old and half of it was non-functional. There was a confused looking maintenance guy there, trying to figure out how to put an elliptical machine back together, during most of my workout.

The staff was very nice and helpful. On check-in they switched me to a room with two beds since I was traveling with my sister. Very convenient location to explore downtown. You can walk around easily from here.

There was a ridiculous charge of $6 to use the business center for 15 minutes in order to print out my boarding pass. Not cool. Didn't get to check out the upstairs bar because it is closed on Sundays. Too bad, it looks nice on-line. The downstairs bar is comfy and nice place to relax a bit before/after dinner.

All in all, this is a nice hotel, but it desperately needs a facelift. The neon has got to go. And the rooms just felt kind of worn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Welcome Elily,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the historic Foshay Tower. I am sorry to hear SWEAT, our fitness center, was not fully operational during your stay. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have shared your review with the department leaders at W Minneapolis to ensure equipment is set to all functionality and safety standards.

I am glad we were able to provide room accommodations to fit your liking. I invite you to utilize either the departure kiosk or Concierge team for your complimentary boarding pass printing needs. I hope that you will consider staying at W Minneapolis in the future; it was my pleasure to read and respond to your review.

Warm Wishes,

563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I travel to the Twin Cities a lot and have stayed at most of the hotels in town. Great deal at the W on the weekend I was there. Exactly what you would expect from the W in terms of decor and room. I had dinner at the steakhouse in the hotel which was a treat as well.

There was a slight delay on room service delivery the first night I was there but they quickly called up and informed me. The on duty manager actually came up with the staff who delivered the food and took care of the bill for me on the spot.

One of the best in town and great service!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hi Samuel C!

Thank you so much for the fabulous review! W Minneapolis takes pride in our Whatever/Whenever service standard and I am pleased your in room dining experience was remedied quickly and efficiently. I wish you safe travels to your next W hotel destination. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest!

Cheers,
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for a convention recently. The decor provided a very modern feel. The staff were friendly enough. You do pay for the extras at this hotel. The prohibition bar happy hour was a fun place to visit and finding a quiet spot o read in the living room was awesome during the day. The concierge we spoke with was very helpful as well as Jason the young man who helped us with our bags. Overall an ok stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Judyakaslice,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at W Minneapolis. I am happy you got to take in the gorgeous views of the city from Prohibition, and glad you could relax in the Living Room. It is my pleasure to pass on your kind words to the team. Hope to see you soon for another W experience!

Best Wishes,
Walker, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The staff at the W, Foshay responded to our concerns regarding a pet friendly atmosphere. They were tremendously accommodating, and tried to respond to our concerns. I appreciated their make the best out of a difficult situation. They were kind to us, gracious, and tried to understand. Still, the process of booking a hotel through a third party (Priceline, for this stay) should be as transparent and customer-friendly as any other means of doing business.

The hotel is delightful, historic, and surrounded by wonderful restaurants, and entertaining venues.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Mark O,

Hello from W Minneapolis! Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community! We are committed to make sure that the booking process is simple for any guest trying to secure accommodations at our hotel. We appreciate your gracious feedback and glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. Cheers to a safe & warm summer.

Best,
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Overall, I was very impressed with this property. I stayed 4 nights for work and it is a short 3-5 minute walk from the Convention Center. I was also able to walk to Target Field with no problem, and the entire area felt clean, safe and welcoming. As far as the hotel itself, it's sexy - like all W's. The color and lighting schemes were obviously well thought-out and the hotel is in an old office building that was completely retrofit to make the W. The service was fantastic. Jason at the front desk was extremely accommodating and helpful each of the several times I sought his assistance. I went to both bars in the hotel and they were fantastic and full of beautiful people. The only reasons I didn't give this a 5/5 is because: 1) the television, for some reason, couldn't tune to a few channels, including NBC (Phil from maintenance was very good/responsive, but ultimately, it couldn't get fixed -- they did give me a $20 folio credit for a few movie, though; and 2) when I ordered some food around 1am, it arrived cold and was grossly overpriced ($30 for chicken tenders and fries) -- but, again, when I brought this to Jason's attention, he credited my folio $30. The bottom line is simple: I'd stay here again in a heartbeat and thought it was a very nice property.

Room Tip: 1709 - "cozy corner room" - very spacious for a longer stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Peak78,

Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! We appreciate you taking the time to reflect and share your experience with us! We want to apologize that our engineering team was unable to diagnose and resolve your TV however I hope that you found our service credit efforts satisfactory. We'll make sure that we share your review with our talent and we appreciate the warm words you had to share about them assisting you during the service recovery. We thank you for this kind review and welcome you back to the historic W Minneapolis-The Foshay!

W Minneapolis-The Foshay
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I travel frequently for business and pleasure and must say that my stay at the W Minneapolis exceeded my expectations! The Living Room was hopping on Friday night. . . vibrant, young, fashionable crowd and great dance music when we arrived just after midnight on Friday. Since it was late and we weren't up for dancing, we went to Prohibition on the 27th floor for a nightcap. While the crowd was equally hip and the scene was bustling, it was a a great bar - with several cozy nooks and crannies. Afterwards, we escaped to our room for some rest. Fortunately, we had been upgraded to a 'Fanstastis Suite' and it was truly FANTASTIC! It was a corner room that included a large living room, flat screen tv & dining room all surrounded by huge windows and a gorgeous panoramic view of downtown Minneapolis - from atop the 23rd floor. The bedroom and separate bathroom was equally as spacious - with a huge soaking tub, in which I bathed each day and soaked in the beautiful hihrise views. . . even the scale was cool! Soft, plush robes and a safe were also provided. . . took a ride on the elevator to the top of the Foshay, to the Observation deck, for wonderful views of the entire City. The Foshay is the second tallest skyscraper in Minneapolis. It was built in 1929 and exemplifies the charm of that era. We ate brunch at Manny's, which was delicious. . . next time, we will also try Key's for brunch, which has great reviews, instead of Hell's Kitchen, which was fun but only average tasting. The W was within walking distance to all the best shopping and dining in Minneapolis - once we parked, the car stayed there all weekend, except for when we left to attend a family event in the burbs.The area was very safe and clean and made a delightful impression on me. The Service at the W was very accomodating - from providing the use of an iPhone charger to the umbrella from the door man when it started sprinkling, to extra wine glasses from room service when we had friends and family over for champagne prior to dinner. . . We stayed here from Friday to Monday and it was overall a great experience and I look forward to returning when I visit MN again in the future.

Room Tip: Corner suites have wonderful panoramic views & higher floors are quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlgirl911,

WOW! What an incredible review! Our team couldn't thank you enough for this 5 star review! It's great to read that our property was able exceed your expectations! We know you have many choices to stay when traveling to Minneapolis and appreciate the great feedback. We hope to see you back to the historic Foshay soon!

Cheers to Summer!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Well my wife and I just stayed at the W at the Foshay and it was everything we expected. It to be with the modern and posh feel of the W experience. Service was great room(spectacular king) was very nice but small and the view would be fantastic if I wasn't a native to NYC city with a legit skyline view. All in all the W was a nice experience I can say that I have had the opportunity to do with my new wife. Would suggest you check priceline for the cheapest price we paid 100 with taxes and incidentals included. Otherwise do not stay at this hotel unless you can afford or want to experience the modern high style of the W.

• Stayed June 2013
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
redvln02,

Greetings from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to offer a memorable experience with you and your wife! It's hard to compete with the breathtaking New York City skyline however being able to take the lift home to guestroom accommodations inside the historic Foshay Tower which holds incredible history to the Minneapolis skyline is pretty cool. Thank you for your feedback, it's truly important to us.

Well Wishes,
Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!