“Good hotel with an amazing location! Check out not that pleasant...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W Minneapolis - The Foshay

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Albania
“Good hotel with an amazing location! Check out not that pleasant...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and i had a good time.

I arrived late from a delayed flight, however David was very accommodating and nice to me. He was patient and explained everything about the hotel. The rooms are very high quality. Unfortunately the heating in my room was not working and i was freezing, thus they put me a heater in my room, being unable to fix the heater.

While i was checking out, i forgot my custom made Iphone case. I immediately returned into my room within 5 minutes of checking out, however it was not there. I informed the lady at the fron desk, however she did not seem to care. I gave her my phone number and she never go back to me. I am sure the case was there when i left, and the cleaning lady must have either thrown it away or even worse, got it herself. However there is no evidence of such, my case is still missing and have not heard back from the hotel. I am quite upset and disappointed. I want to point out that the case was not misplaced by my, as i am sure where i had left it.

Overall it was still a nice experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Calista_tr

Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! First of all, I want to thank you for your personal time you have taken to reflect and share your experience with the Trip Advisor community along with myself. In regards to your overall experience, I do want to offer a personal apology on behalf of W Minneapolis-The Foshay; it’s disappointing to read that our engineering team was unable to resolve your heating issue. I hope that the space heater was sufficed for a short term temporary efficient solution. In regards to your misplaced custom IPhone case, please see my direct communication to you as a follow up to this incident. Again, I want to personally thank you for sharing your experience; it’s greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great service and central location. However, the lobby and restaurant area are really quite dark - day and night. Rooms are modern and bright. Restaurant is a steakhouse at lunch/dinner, but also serves great breakfast. Wifi signal was weak in the room, so perhaps not ideal for business. Maust say that the corporate rate was fantastic, especially given that its a W! Beautiful building - quite unique!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
b m,

Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay; it was my pleasure to read and respond to your review! Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community. It's great to see that you appreciated our interpretation of modern design with a historic art deco building all that with the energy of a W Hotel. We hope to see you back at the historic Foshay in the near future.

Whatever/Whenever,
Colman, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

A perfect location. Beautiful building. Excellent service. Unique amenities. For the cost of the room, I expected more, but what it lack in wow, it made up in every other way!!! Would choose to stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Gena_veen,

Greetings from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you for staying with us and allowing us to be your home away from home. It’s great to read that you enjoyed your W experience and we look forward to your return!

Cheers,
Sioux Falls, SD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just returned from a weekend in Minneapolis. Stayed two nights at The Foshay. Room was nice- modern, very W. Smallish/ no bathtub/divine bed. No coffee maker of any type to speak of, which just seems cruel. We were on the third floor and did not have any issues with noise. The main lobby bar/lounge area is relatively chill until the evening, at which time it turns into a dj'd event...which might be off putting for some but honestly, once you hit the elevators, it's not really a big deal. We had drinks at Prohibition, nice service, vibe. Dine in breakfast was really good. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We decided last minute to try to get massages, and the cocierge was essential in making arrangements for us. The hotel has a spa room in the work out area and they subcontract out their massage services. Our massages were great and would highly recommend this service. All in all-- good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicholesodak70,

Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! First of all, thank you for choosing to stay with us; it was our pleasure to have you as our guest! My apologies that we don’t offer a coffee maker in the room however on future stays with us please note that Keurig coffee makers are available through our whatever/whenever service at any time during your stay in addition to complimentary coffee being available in our W Café! I appreciate you taking the time to reflect and come visit us again soon at the historic Foshay Tower!

Whatever/Whenever,
Rochester, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stay frequently in the Twin Cites. Needed a place to crash over night. We're Starwood members, so figured we'd try the W again (less than impressed with the service last time).

This time service up to par with a higher end hotel.

Checked in late, after an evening out. Room small, just off the elevator. The small end table had crumbs and something spilled on it, making me wonder if the room had even been cleaned between guests. Since our experience of changing rooms at midnight always means a minimum or an hour of futzing around with management, moving, etc, my husband vetoed my request to contact management that night. It was night of poor sleeping wondering if we were sleeping on dirly sheets.

Otherwise, the room is hip, well arranged, with the dark, modern decor. There's an IPod dock - doesn't charge and actually depleted the charge, so beware. Bathroom, nothing special. Commode, one sink; there's a rainshower head - so that's something. Lighting only fair in bath, and though there is a make up mirror, it's useless given the poor lighting. The bathroom isn't even pretty, just basically utilitarian.

DO NOT let them put you in a room off the elevator. It's so noisy you may as well have had your door open all night.

There's a nightclub on the top floor which is hip, but so crowded. Good, if high priced restaurant on site.

That being said, when I contacted management after our stay, they were quite apologetic and offered to refund the night, which we opted for and they did.

Would I use the W again? We have friends that stay only here because they are Starwood members. I want to like this hotel, as it's lobby is pretty, it's hip and is a place to see and be seen (if you're under 30 years old - of which we aren't). However, we probably would not stay again. Two less than fabulous stays. For the price they are charging and calling themselves a higher end hotel, they really need to do better with cleanliness, the noise, and improve the bathrooms.

I gave this a 3/5 because of the prompt response from management about our concerns and their offer to reimbuse our costs. If they had been less than responsive I would have given it a 2.

Room Tip: Request a room as far from the elevators. That said because it's a narrow square building (the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jgraz6829,

Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay; I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community; it’s my pleasure to respond. I want to personally apologize that your returned visit to our hotel was below your expectations. Pertaining to the cleanliness of your guestroom, this is definitely not up to standard for the W Hotel and we are refocusing our attention to address this situation. W Minneapolis- The Foshay takes pride in our cleanliness standards and is consistent area as to where we excel. Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing these issues to our attention; feedback from our guests is critical to our success and we appreciate it immensely. I hope that the compensation that was provided to you on behalf of W Management was satisfying. Finally on behalf of W Minneapolis-The Foshay, I hope that we have a future opportunity to have you back as a guest and we want to thank you again for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Imagine feeling lonely in a crowded room. That is exactly how you feel at this WHotel. First the decor is very dark. The historic Foshay building is claustraphobic. Checkin experience was nothing special. Up at my corner room, I could hear the constant dinging of the elevator.

So down I went to the Concierge, who were very nice. They assigned me to a wonderful corner room on a different floor and also gave me drink credit at the bar: Wonderful concierge service.

The corner room was wonderful. Lots of mirrors, Great Views. But the modern shower is the worst. The shower looks wonderful, but has no water pressure. The shower best describes this Whotel: All about glamour and looks, but no function.

27th floor Prohibition restaurant is nice, but space is not something you will enjoy. In the evenings it is elbow room only. Also, Parts of the restaurant were blocked, for private parties. At night time the flood of dressed up club goers starts. I have grown out of the club/bar scene years ago. So it is plain awkward to experience the club/bar scene at an upscale hotel. Very hard to avoid the club/bar since the front hotel entrance, is also the entrance to the club/bar.

The W is definitely not a family hotel. No food is free here. And it is paid parking only. The worst is the Checkout experience. At noon, there were at least 10 people in the checkout line. And W does not offer a Fast checkout, Zip out process. This Whotel leaves at lot to be desired.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AAGreenTech,

Greetings from W Minneapolis-The Foshay; I want to personally thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor Community. My apologies for your mediocre W experience with us, it’s unfortunate that we were unable to make your stay special from check-in to check-out; we take pride on providing that simple touch which allows guests to appreciate staying with us. We also strive to make sure that every guest has a comfortable yet memorable experience. I am glad to read that our concierge team was able to get to you re-assigned to a better guestroom. Furthermore, I do want to share with you that the hotel does provide an express check out option located on first floor by lift number 4; check out is a breeze and takes seconds, again my apologies that this option was not brought to your attention and we will visit our guest communications to determine the best way to communicate the express check-out.
As W Minneapolis-The Foshay is a luxury brand lifestyle hotel; we are pleased to offer a versatile atmosphere within an iconic historical structure. From the original museum & observation deck on the 30th floor to Manny’s Steakhouse, we hope to provide something for everyone. I hope we have a future opportunity to welcome you back to the historic Foshay Tower. It was my pleasure to read, respond & share your review with the team here at the hotel.

Best,
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I recently visited the W - Foshay for Business and I have to say, from the time I was greeted at the door to the time I put my last bag in my rental I felt like a VIP. Service at the Foshay exceeded all expectations. In terms of food and drinks they have two cool bars where you can enjoy a a bite or a cocktail in a hip environment, stake house its sensational.

Its safe to say that for future visits to the twin cities i will definitely return to the W.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Atribin,
Thank you so much for this incredible review! This means a lot to our entire team and so glad that we exceeded your expectations while you were with us. Manny’s is always a must while on a trip to Minneapolis; which just adds to a great experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to the historic Foshay tower.

Whatever/Whenever

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!