“Nice hotel, but wouldn't stay again.” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Moorhead, Minnesota
“Nice hotel, but wouldn't stay again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We booked a cool corner king suite on a Sunday evening for $107, which for the W is quite reasonable! Prohibition isn't available on Sunday, and concierge services aren't available until noon. I have stayed here before, a year ago, and that experience was much, much better! We were in room 1309 and it wasn't nearly as big as I expected it to be and my 'wonderful suite' last time had waaaay more windows in it. I also wasn't a huge fan of the huge window in the bathroom but at least they had a black out drape for it. The shower door in the bathroom wouldn't stay shut, which we informed the front desk of but they didn't offer anything to fix it. I was also slightly disappointed with the lack of art in the room, even though I realize the room is already quite artsy, it still could have a little more in my opinion.

On the other hand, the location is amazing and the staff is very polite and great to work with! The colors in the hotel are amazing and the 'lobby' is more of a swanky waiting area with a nice bar area too!

I enjoy the Starwood line, but I prefer the Aloft line better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Lovemebassymusic27,

Hello From W Minneapolis-The Foshay; on behalf of our entire hotel, we appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We know it was quite the travel from Moorhead, MN and appreciate the overall positive review. I do want to apologize in regards to the concierge services not being available until 12pm on Monday; I do want you to know that our entire team is capable of executing any needs possible even if a concierge is not present; we like to call it Whatever/Whenever, all you have to do is just to let any of our talent members be aware of any needs and we’ll make sure it’s taken care of, that’s our signature promise to you; the guest.
I see that you prefer the Aloft hotels better and that’s okay! The one thing that is great about Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide is that we offer 9 brands that are suitable for everyone; whether it be W, Le Méridien, Aloft, Westin, Sheraton, St. Regis, Luxury Collection, Element or 4 Points by Sheraton, we know that there is a home away from home for everyone. It was my pleasure to read and to respond to your review. We hope that you’ll consider us again for future travels; we’d love to have you!

Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had the pleasure to stay at the Foshay for three nights from 1/29-2/1 while conducting business in Minneapolis. The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of downtown and is easily within walking distance to shopping, dining, and even light rail to the airport. My first impression upon walking into the lobby is that it reminds of the hip and trendy Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas. The ornate art deco interiors have been lovingly restored, but the furnishings and lighting are very tastefully modern and comfortable. The past is paid tribute to while modern hip stylings compliment them nicely. There is a nice walk down a deco corridor to the front desk with the lobby seating areas and bars neatly tucked off in rooms to the side allowing for separation between the two. You know how in some hotels, especially in Las Vegas for example, getting to the front desk area through guest and public areas is almost like an obstacle course...that is not the case at the Foshay. Upon checking in I was offered an upgrade and luggage assistance, but politely declined both.

My room was on the sixth floor and while I had a view, I would recommend asking for a room on a higher floor for better panoramic views. However, with that said, as a hotel guest you have free access to the Prohibition bar on the 27th floor with its unobstructed city views and free admission to the museum and observation deck on the 31st floor. Therefore, you will find view access one way or another regardless of your room location. My room was very modern, cozy, and comfortable. The washroom was oversized with a vanity counter and a shower easily large enough to accomodate a couple(Sadly I am a bachelor. ;-) ). If you opened the door to enter the room, the bed and nightstands located upon the right hand wall. Immediately forward upon the back wall were panoramic windows with a business desk and fully stocked honor bar. The television was located upon the left wall. The bathroom was to the left beyond the television. There was a large closet with an in room safe and luggage rack tucked into the same wall as the door which suited me fine.The room was ideal for my business needs and would have also suited a travelling couple quite comfortably. The bed was exceedingly comfortable and I never once heard anything from another guest in the duration of my trip. Regarding the honor bar, like with most hotels the prices are almost laughable in their excess, but both a Target grocery store and a liquor store are within walking distance to the hotel, so you can easily purchase your own essentials. I did drink two bottles of water while there which came to $13.00. However, the hotel also provides one free, although small, bottle of water per day.

The hotel staff and services are top notch. I was able to use the complimentary Acura car service to conduct a business errand and the driver could not have been nicer. I appreciated the fitness center with complimentary fruit, bottled water, and plenty of towels. I had a friend in town who was also conducting business and staying on the property. He had to utilize the valet service to retrieve his car, even once at 3:00 a.m. and found them to be eager and professional each and every time. We also spent many hours unwinding and talking shop at the Prohibition bar on the 27th floor where the bartender we encountered was among the most skilled, decent, and genuine I have ever been served by. I say that having worked in the bar and nightclub industry and from having extensive friends within it as well. Sadly, I cannot recall his name because I would highly recommend him. He works closing shifts in the evenings. I recommend visiting the bar itself for the service and the experience the space provides. If I remember correctly, the bar space was originally the private quarters of Mr. Foshay himself upon construction. It retains the original historic windows and other interior features such as the stairway to nowhere. As hotel guests my friend and I also both visited the Foshay museum and observation deck upon the 31st floor for free and enjoyed them. There was a great detail of information about the history of the tower and the construction. Take your camera to the observation deck with you.

Finally, I must single out the hotel's night manager Brian Nylander for the passion, energy, and professionalism he brings to his job and of which he provided to both my friend and myself as guests. If you spend two minutes talking to Brian as a guest you will quickly discover he is genuinely interested in you and in providing you with whatever you may need. He clearly cares for the property and for the business. He is a breath of fresh air and if you stay at the Foshay I would recommend asking for him personally either in making a reservation or in addressing any concerns/requests you may have during your stay. In my case, he even walked with me to my airport towncar and shook my hand as I departed.

If you need a clean, comfortable place to stay in downtown Minneapolis either as a business traveler or as a tourist the W-Foshay should be on your short list immediately. I simply have no complaints at all about my stay there. In fact, I will be returning to Minneapolis in two weeks for a followup business trip and made my reservation already. I had no need to look elsewhere because I have found my go to Minneapolis hotel in the Foshay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JKPDX,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write and share this incredible 5 star review with the Trip Advisor community! I love to see our guests display such great detail from their memorable stays at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. It’s great to read that our talent members especially Brian N, are executing such outstanding service. We are excited to welcome you back to the historic W Minneapolis-The Foshay in the coming weeks! Please let us know if there is anything we can prepare for you prior to your arrival! It is my pleasure to read, respond and share your review with the team!

Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Luxury without being pretentious. The service staff is excellent, the restaurant is one of the best in Minneapolis, and the rooms, not that you'll be staying in them given how much stuff you'll be near, are great. Perfect location for access, and a hot bar to boot.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Christopher T,
Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Luxury without being pretentious; I like the sound of that! I appreciate you sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community; it really means a lot to us! We pride ourselves of excellent guest service and glad that we were able to provide that to you during your stay! Thank you for visiting our city all the way from Santa Barbara especially in the winter months! Come back and see us again; it was my pleasure to read and respond to your review!

Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel is neat and eccentric. The rooms have a nice little bar, a comfortable bed, a rain shower, cordless phones, and an up to date magazine selection including Fast Company and local "foodie" magazines. The front desk was fantastic, the valet was quick and reliable. The views from the 28th floor were surreal. There is a quiet upscale bar on the 27th floor, and apparently an incredibly popular (locally) electronic music club on the ground floor. Both bars were a little pricey though and I wouldn't recommend either for a business traveler looking to relax. The location is great - although maybe a little seedy at night. Highly recommended for a fun trip to MN.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the top floor, the views are worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Nevesis,
WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this 5 star review! I appreciate your enthusiasm expressed within this review and can’t wait to share it with the W Minneapolis- The Foshay team! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Loved the hotel! Staff were absolutely wonderful, bar area was great and comfortable. Room was very clean and comfortable. I was a little worried at first since our room was across from elevator, but the way the entrance to our room was angled, we didn't hear anything. Loved the observation area,

Room Tip: King size corner suite was very nice and roomy.
Travelbud525,

Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay; thank you for giving us the opportunity to have you as our guest for your weekend getaway! I hope it was a pleasurable getaway from the great city of Rochester, Minnesota. I hope you’ll keep us in mind during your next travels to Minneapolis.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We recently stayed one night at the W in Minneapolis. We got a good prepaid rate and even got upgraded upon check in. We stayed in a Cool Corner King and it was a good-sized room with a comfortable bed. I appreciated the Bliss bath products. We received good service from check in to check out. We arrived early and they held our bags until check in time. The location was convenient enough, and being in the skyway system made it OK in the winter.

We enjoyed checking out Prohibition on the 27th floor---cute bar, but very small and crowded. While we were up there we zipped up to the 30th floor to check out the Foshay Museum with our martinis in hand. It was a nice little museum featuring one of Minneapolis' most famous buildings. I liked reading the history and standing out on the observatory. I don't know that I would pay for admission, though, if I was not a hotel guest. We also visited the Living Room on the main floor for a pre-dinner drink. I liked this area better than Prohibition---it was roomy and comfy and still very nice.

Great restaurant options connected right to the hotel---Manny's for steak or Key's Cafe for good, homemade style food (we went there for breakfast). 8th Street Grill is across the street with a decent beer selection.

While the hotel was very nice, it made me feel old. It is super trendy and it brings in a young, partying crowd. I like modern and contemporary style and really appreciated the common areas of the hotel. The room decor was almost cheesy trendy to the point where it seemed a little dated. The hotel does not seem to fit in for Minneapolis, but I guess it is nice to have that option here.

There is no pool. There is a fitness center that also includes a fridge with cold bottled water so we stopped and each grabbed a bottle on the way up to our room for the night.

Overall, while it may not be perfect for me, it is a good hotel choice for the Minneapolis area and I would especially recommend it for a younger crowd (couples, bachelor/bachelorette parties, celebrations, etc.).

Bellastella227,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to reflect and share with the Trip Advisor community of your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. I am pleased to read that you had a good overall experience; it sounds like you had been able to experience many of the outlets that the hotel has to offer. My apologies that W Minneapolis-The Foshay does not offer a wet deck (pool) ,due to historical limitations this is not an amenity we are able to offer at this time.
W Minneapolis-The Foshay is incredibly excited to be one of Starwood’s luxury brand lifestyle hotels to be represented in Minneapolis; furthermore we want you to know that we are represented with a Westin, Le Méridien, Sheraton, Aloft and the Luxury Collection all located in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. Bellastella227, we hope that we have the opportunity to have you as returned guest to our hotel or one of our other properties in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the W on a Saturday night mid-February. Overall it was a very nice stay, but wouldn't call it excellent or outstanding. We parked our car with the valet which was very easy (and attendants were very responsive). Guest reception was average. The room itself was very good: We had a nice view, everything was clean, and it appeared to be well-maintained. As others have commented, the room's size was on the small side. The hallway had some litter in it and the elevators did make noise that we could hear in the room. The hotel itself is very convenient: Attached to the skyway system, short cab ride (or walk when warmer) to Hennepin Avenue, linked to breakfast options, two bars on the property, etc.

I would consider staying again, but next time in downtown Minneapolis I'll probably try another top-rated hotel.

Room Tip: Better views on higher floors; Elevators can be a little noisy, so try not to be right next to them
Saneb-traveler,
Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! It’s great to hear from you so first off let me thank you for sharing your feedback of your recent stay! The W Hotel at the historic Foshay has many room types to consider when staying with us; we have something for everyone. From Wonderful King rooms to our Fantastic Suites; this historic building offers the opportunity for guests to experience over 52 different room type configurations. I encourage you to return for another stay as our whatever/whenever philosophy enables us to craft unique guest experiences. I appreciate the overall positive review and I hope that we have the opportunity in the near future to have you as a fabulous guest once again.

SIP.CELEBRATE.BASK.
Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!