“Class Act!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Santa Barbara, California
“Class Act!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at the W when I arrived in town for business was very sick with Strep throat. I had just got medication and the staff was so sweet, they sent me chicken soup the chef made me with crackers and some ginger ale. I mostly stayed in my room for two days, but; they called twice to check on me and even offered to do any near by errands.

I was so impressed with the staff and service I received, they are incredible! I loved the soft bedding and cleanliness of the room to be away from home so suddenly ill.

Thank you! I love the hotel and the fabulous staff. You were seamless!

Room Tip: I think all of the their rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hello sunnynlajolla,

Good day from W Minneapolis-The Foshay; although it’s winter here, having the pleasure to respond to a guest who resides in sunny California warms the heart! Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review with the Trip Advisor community! My apologies that you fell under the weather however I am happy to hear that the team was able to give you moments in your day that made you feel better; it was my pleasure to respond to your review!

627 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a Lady Gaga concert and booked using a discounted rate through a different website. Sometimes when you get a low rate I feel that the hotel doesn’t give you the full attention you deserve like the rest of the guests at the hotel. This wasn’t the case. The service at this hotel was fabulous! Everyone from the doorman to the front desk were all very helpful! A few things you’ll want to know:

-Make sure to stop in at the bar on the 27th floor during happy hour. Five star martinis for only $5 and an awesome view!

-In the morning they have free coffee in nice “to-go” cups in Manny’s steakhouse on the first floor….good coffee!

-Don’t pay to drink the bottled water in the room. Go to the gym (on the 2nd floor). There is free water in their ridge!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Holly S,

We hope you had a great time at the Lady Gaga concert; from what we hear it was the show to be at! Thank you allowing us to have the opportunity to have you as our guest! We are truly committed to each of our guests; dedicated service is what we like to call it! It was my absolute pleasure to respond.

Cheers,
winnipeg manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

i was in minni for one night & used trip advisor to find this hotel. it was a king + room, so clean i actually walked around in my BARE FEET. the bed was ++ comfy, the decor was art deco,very nice,the staff was helpful, the gym was clean & had bottled water & snacks for free in a fridge. it was central,close to the major sports centers...i have paid well over 300$ for room & hotels no where near as nice..only 105$

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello ziggy002,

I love it when our guests express their joyfulness about the great times they have had at W Minneapolis-The Foshay and especially went they felt the value was great! I am so excited to share your review with the entire team and on behalf of our hotel; we can’t thank you enough for the gracious review.

Keep Warm,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Really nice place to stay. Nice and stylish, with a dark and moody feel. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. A lot of bed accessories... Furnishings are beautiful.
There's a fun musuem at the top with an observation deck/lookout where you can see the city.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have a window in the bathroom and are a bit smaller. I was lucky to have a very...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello nellosaurus,

We hope you’re staying warm during these winter months! Thank you for the wonderful review you have left for us about your most recent W experience. I appreciate the work you have put into your Trip Advisor reviews and look forward to many more!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at the W Minneapolis and we had an amazing time. The rooms were just right, and very clean. The 27th floor bar was very nice. At first I was worried about paying that much to valet our car, but it's better than trying to find somewhere to park downtown. The entire staff was very professional and friendly. They did everything for us! We would like to especially thank Brian,Jeremy and Kyle for helping us with everything we needed.

• Stayed January 2013
Hello DonnieG1978,

Greetings from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We are very thankful to have star talent who do everything they can to make guest experiences unique and personal at our hotel. We hope to see you at the historic Foshay Tower in the near future.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I am a Starwood member and I've stayed at quite a few W Hotels over the years. I stayed there in January for a four-day period, and had an amazing stay. From my upgraded room to the delicious prime rib (It was huge -- if you are a meateater, you have to try it) and cheese potato dinner at the Manny's restaurant downstairs, we had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay. I particularly liked the service rendered by the night attendant, Brian Nylander, who was very friendly and gave us his card to make sure he could be of assistance if we needed anything. He remembered my name through the entire visit and was friendly and an excellent host. What's really super cool about this particular W is that Friday and Saturday nights at the bar are ON FIRE, but the bar is so far away from the actual rooms that you don't have to worry about the noise if you don't want to partake in partying. A lot of W's -- including the DC one and the W Hollywood -- have bars that you can hear if you stay in certain parts of the hotel. So if you are traveling with kids but still want a cool place to stay and maybe go down and have a drink if you feel like it, this is the hotel. The decor is modern, valet parking was reasonable (30 bucks a night -- Remember, I live in NJ/NYC) and it's right in the middle of everything down. Another cool thing is my rate was only $97 a night, because I did a pre-paid rate. I HAVE NEVER STAYED AT A W FOR $97. That was awesome. I think Nylander and his co-workers run a first-class, first-rate hotel, and I intend to stay there for my future visits to Minneapolis. I think this hotel is a big-plus for downtown Minneapolis, as many of the surrounding hotels are older and a bit too traditional. This one definitely serves both business travelers and leisure travelers. It's hip enough for nightlife, but not so much of a "scene" that you can't be productive. Kudos to the Nylander and the team. Thanks for the upgrade, too!

Room Tip: If you want to save money park at the nearby parking ramp..
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hello Lee H,

Thank you for the positive review of your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! We pride ourselves on being world class so thank you for allowing us the opportunity to have you as our guest! We will continue to provide outstanding service and incredible experiences! We hope to see you around the historic Foshay Tower!

Best,
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is a long review and I apologize but I think that travelers should have the details of the hotels they are thinking about staying at so they have a clear view on what to expect. I hope that if you are planning on traveling to Minneapolis and have considered the W that you continue reading!

Having traveled to the Minneapolis area probably over one hundred times, and having stayed in multiple different areas including downtown and surrounding suburbs, the W at the Foshay Tower has earned its spot as the #1 hotel choice in the Minneapolis area and here is why:

1) Location - For those of you that have been to Minneapolis, you know that the downtown area can be a bit of a hassle to drive in and actually kind of confusing with all of the 1-way streets and avenues. Having said that, the Foshay tower is one of those buildings in the downtown area that cannot be missed even if you physically tried to miss it. It is located on Marquette Ave., which is one of the main stretches in the downtown area, and it is a short walk to just about anything you could want: retail, restaurants (I will touch base on this later), coffee shops, sports venues, and concert venues. Quite frankly, the location of the hotel is perfect in my opinion because it is somewhat out of the way of the direct downtown.

2) Rooms - The rooms at the W are immaculate, having a modern twist on a historical building. Some travelers rate a room based on the sleep quality, the view, the bed, if there is a minibar in the room, or where the room is located in the hotel. For me, the highest rating for a room goes towards the bathroom because I consider it the one thing that can be absolutely a deal breaker. This may be because I do not have an incredible bathroom at home, but if I am going to stay in a nice hotel and spend $200 for a room, I am going to hope that the bathroom is going to be something that I would not experience at home and it is almost an escape. I can safely say that the bathrooms at the W are incredible, main because of the size of the shower, which could fit 6 comfortably; the fact that the shower head is on the ceiling and is a rainforest shower head makes all the difference. I have stayed in hotels where the shower head is located about 5 feet from the floor of the tub/shower floor, and me being 6 feet tall, it does not work all that well. It is good to note that the first three room types all have the same bathrooms which include the rainforest shower head (Wonderful, Spectacular, Cool Corner). When you move into the suites of the hotel the bathrooms are a bit different (although I did not get the chance to stay in one of these unfortunately), and include a soaking tub. I did ask to see the Wow and Extreme Wow suites upon check out for a future stay but were both dirty. Hopefully I will get the chance at some point! For those travelers that are looking for a good view, you are going to want to request (although not guaranteed) a higher floor, which as I am told would be any room type from the Spectacular on up to the E-Wow suite.

3) Dining - There are hundreds of restaurants in the Minneapolis area and many of them are absolutely wonderful, but there is one restaurant that has always stood out above the rest - Manny's Steakhouse. This restaurant is attached to the W, and has to be one of the best, if not the best, restaurant I have been to in Minneapolis. I also highly recommend going here for breakfast on the day of check-out as their Eggs Benedict is exquisite, and I was recommended to try the Short Rib Benedict so I will definitely be trying that the next time around. This restaurant is known for dinner and if you look at the menu, it is for those individuals that are looking for the highest quality when it comes to dining. And if you enjoy wine with dinner, it has one of the best wine menus I've ever seen.

4) Service - What can I say about the service at the W? Every single employee from concierge to room service attendants, to housekeeping, to the guest service agents is extremely professional and will do what they can to ensure your stay is not only what you expect it to be, but to exceed your expectations. I also highly recommend ordering room service if possible, it is the best I have experienced (Manny's Brownie!!). Upon check-in I was greeted with a smile and was also offered a complimentary upgrade to a Cool Corner room (My understanding is that this room is basically a spectacular room that has windows on both sides of the corner). I think that it is important to note here that I have worked in the hospitality industry in the past and have experienced any number of guests and I am a firm believer that one should check-in to a hotel without the expectation of receiving an upgraded room. If you travel and are expecting to be upgraded three room-types above what you booked, it is completely unrealistic. That being said, a hotel that offers a complimentary upgrade simply based on the fact that they want to please a guest in any way possible and do it out of courtesy, is going to be automatically moved to the top of my list for customer service. Hospitality translates into giving a friendly and generous reception to guests, and this hotel, in my personal opinion, receives an A+ in the realm of customer service and in regards to the very definition of hospitality.

Overall, this hotel not only met my expectations, which were quite high to begin with based on recommendations and reviews from friends and coworkers, but it exceeded them. I compliment the management at the hotel and each and every employee that I encountered.

Room Tip: Talk with the guest service agent on what their favorite room is or favorite floor, otherwise just g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hello SPRtravel,

Thank You! Merci! Gracias! On behalf of the entire team at W Minneapolis-The Foshay, we can’t thank you enough for such an incredible review. We appreciate the time it takes to write such a well-rounded review in addition to sharing it with the Trip Advisor community! The reviews mean so much to our team and it would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again!

Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!