“Stylish and fun, nice view from the top.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
London, United Kingdom
“Stylish and fun, nice view from the top.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Really nice place to stay. Nice and stylish, with a dark and moody feel. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. A lot of bed accessories... Furnishings are beautiful.
There's a fun musuem at the top with an observation deck/lookout where you can see the city.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have a window in the bathroom and are a bit smaller. I was lucky to have a very...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hello nellosaurus,

We hope you’re staying warm during these winter months! Thank you for the wonderful review you have left for us about your most recent W experience. I appreciate the work you have put into your Trip Advisor reviews and look forward to many more!

Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at the W Minneapolis and we had an amazing time. The rooms were just right, and very clean. The 27th floor bar was very nice. At first I was worried about paying that much to valet our car, but it's better than trying to find somewhere to park downtown. The entire staff was very professional and friendly. They did everything for us! We would like to especially thank Brian,Jeremy and Kyle for helping us with everything we needed.

• Stayed January 2013
Hello DonnieG1978,

Greetings from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We are very thankful to have star talent who do everything they can to make guest experiences unique and personal at our hotel. We hope to see you at the historic Foshay Tower in the near future.

Whatever/Whenever,
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I am a Starwood member and I've stayed at quite a few W Hotels over the years. I stayed there in January for a four-day period, and had an amazing stay. From my upgraded room to the delicious prime rib (It was huge -- if you are a meateater, you have to try it) and cheese potato dinner at the Manny's restaurant downstairs, we had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay. I particularly liked the service rendered by the night attendant, Brian Nylander, who was very friendly and gave us his card to make sure he could be of assistance if we needed anything. He remembered my name through the entire visit and was friendly and an excellent host. What's really super cool about this particular W is that Friday and Saturday nights at the bar are ON FIRE, but the bar is so far away from the actual rooms that you don't have to worry about the noise if you don't want to partake in partying. A lot of W's -- including the DC one and the W Hollywood -- have bars that you can hear if you stay in certain parts of the hotel. So if you are traveling with kids but still want a cool place to stay and maybe go down and have a drink if you feel like it, this is the hotel. The decor is modern, valet parking was reasonable (30 bucks a night -- Remember, I live in NJ/NYC) and it's right in the middle of everything down. Another cool thing is my rate was only $97 a night, because I did a pre-paid rate. I HAVE NEVER STAYED AT A W FOR $97. That was awesome. I think Nylander and his co-workers run a first-class, first-rate hotel, and I intend to stay there for my future visits to Minneapolis. I think this hotel is a big-plus for downtown Minneapolis, as many of the surrounding hotels are older and a bit too traditional. This one definitely serves both business travelers and leisure travelers. It's hip enough for nightlife, but not so much of a "scene" that you can't be productive. Kudos to the Nylander and the team. Thanks for the upgrade, too!

Room Tip: If you want to save money park at the nearby parking ramp..
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hello Lee H,

Thank you for the positive review of your recent stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! We pride ourselves on being world class so thank you for allowing us the opportunity to have you as our guest! We will continue to provide outstanding service and incredible experiences! We hope to see you around the historic Foshay Tower!

Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is a long review and I apologize but I think that travelers should have the details of the hotels they are thinking about staying at so they have a clear view on what to expect. I hope that if you are planning on traveling to Minneapolis and have considered the W that you continue reading!

Having traveled to the Minneapolis area probably over one hundred times, and having stayed in multiple different areas including downtown and surrounding suburbs, the W at the Foshay Tower has earned its spot as the #1 hotel choice in the Minneapolis area and here is why:

1) Location - For those of you that have been to Minneapolis, you know that the downtown area can be a bit of a hassle to drive in and actually kind of confusing with all of the 1-way streets and avenues. Having said that, the Foshay tower is one of those buildings in the downtown area that cannot be missed even if you physically tried to miss it. It is located on Marquette Ave., which is one of the main stretches in the downtown area, and it is a short walk to just about anything you could want: retail, restaurants (I will touch base on this later), coffee shops, sports venues, and concert venues. Quite frankly, the location of the hotel is perfect in my opinion because it is somewhat out of the way of the direct downtown.

2) Rooms - The rooms at the W are immaculate, having a modern twist on a historical building. Some travelers rate a room based on the sleep quality, the view, the bed, if there is a minibar in the room, or where the room is located in the hotel. For me, the highest rating for a room goes towards the bathroom because I consider it the one thing that can be absolutely a deal breaker. This may be because I do not have an incredible bathroom at home, but if I am going to stay in a nice hotel and spend $200 for a room, I am going to hope that the bathroom is going to be something that I would not experience at home and it is almost an escape. I can safely say that the bathrooms at the W are incredible, main because of the size of the shower, which could fit 6 comfortably; the fact that the shower head is on the ceiling and is a rainforest shower head makes all the difference. I have stayed in hotels where the shower head is located about 5 feet from the floor of the tub/shower floor, and me being 6 feet tall, it does not work all that well. It is good to note that the first three room types all have the same bathrooms which include the rainforest shower head (Wonderful, Spectacular, Cool Corner). When you move into the suites of the hotel the bathrooms are a bit different (although I did not get the chance to stay in one of these unfortunately), and include a soaking tub. I did ask to see the Wow and Extreme Wow suites upon check out for a future stay but were both dirty. Hopefully I will get the chance at some point! For those travelers that are looking for a good view, you are going to want to request (although not guaranteed) a higher floor, which as I am told would be any room type from the Spectacular on up to the E-Wow suite.

3) Dining - There are hundreds of restaurants in the Minneapolis area and many of them are absolutely wonderful, but there is one restaurant that has always stood out above the rest - Manny's Steakhouse. This restaurant is attached to the W, and has to be one of the best, if not the best, restaurant I have been to in Minneapolis. I also highly recommend going here for breakfast on the day of check-out as their Eggs Benedict is exquisite, and I was recommended to try the Short Rib Benedict so I will definitely be trying that the next time around. This restaurant is known for dinner and if you look at the menu, it is for those individuals that are looking for the highest quality when it comes to dining. And if you enjoy wine with dinner, it has one of the best wine menus I've ever seen.

4) Service - What can I say about the service at the W? Every single employee from concierge to room service attendants, to housekeeping, to the guest service agents is extremely professional and will do what they can to ensure your stay is not only what you expect it to be, but to exceed your expectations. I also highly recommend ordering room service if possible, it is the best I have experienced (Manny's Brownie!!). Upon check-in I was greeted with a smile and was also offered a complimentary upgrade to a Cool Corner room (My understanding is that this room is basically a spectacular room that has windows on both sides of the corner). I think that it is important to note here that I have worked in the hospitality industry in the past and have experienced any number of guests and I am a firm believer that one should check-in to a hotel without the expectation of receiving an upgraded room. If you travel and are expecting to be upgraded three room-types above what you booked, it is completely unrealistic. That being said, a hotel that offers a complimentary upgrade simply based on the fact that they want to please a guest in any way possible and do it out of courtesy, is going to be automatically moved to the top of my list for customer service. Hospitality translates into giving a friendly and generous reception to guests, and this hotel, in my personal opinion, receives an A+ in the realm of customer service and in regards to the very definition of hospitality.

Overall, this hotel not only met my expectations, which were quite high to begin with based on recommendations and reviews from friends and coworkers, but it exceeded them. I compliment the management at the hotel and each and every employee that I encountered.

Room Tip: Talk with the guest service agent on what their favorite room is or favorite floor, otherwise just g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hello SPRtravel,

Thank You! Merci! Gracias! On behalf of the entire team at W Minneapolis-The Foshay, we can’t thank you enough for such an incredible review. We appreciate the time it takes to write such a well-rounded review in addition to sharing it with the Trip Advisor community! The reviews mean so much to our team and it would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again!

Whatever/Whenever,
minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at teh w one inight with a friend. It was great. Good location, Manny's right next door, the rooms were spacious and clean and very quiet. The bars were very good. The top floor was more yuppies and the want to be seen crowd. The living room on the lower level was more diverse. There were a lot of fun people from teh gblt crowd to businesmen coming from the restaurant. Security was unobtrusive and the staff was very friendly. Vry good music, drink prices were okay and bar snacks were delicious. I had a great time and highly recommend it

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Del l,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with the Trip Advisor community! We appreciate the positive review; it was my pleasure to respond and share your review with the team at W Minneapolis- the Foshay.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have stayed at the W Foshay several times and each time has been awesome, most specifically because I was proposing to my now fiancé! The staff at the W helped iron out a ton of details for the proposal itself and we all pulled it off as a great surprise. Lisa, on the concierge staff, embodies the brand's "whatever, whenever," attitude. I have stayed with Starwood a ton for work and pleasure all over the world and W Foshay ranks with the best of them. If you need things to do, places to see, food recommendations, Lisa can make it happen and you can rest assured she wont lead you astray. If you are a meat eater and are in the mood to get overstuffed, hit up Mannys steakhouse. Unreal cuts of meat (both in size and quality), great sides, fun and knowledgeable staff, awesome wine list and good liquor drinks to wash it down. If you are there for a special occasion, grab a Wonderful suite, nice layout and great city views.

Room Tip: Wonderful Suite
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Sam T,
Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! First of all, thank you so much for allowing our team to be a part of such an incredible moment in your life! It’s great to hear that you were taken great care of by our fabulous concierge Lisa! Lisa has done a great job sharing with our team about this upcoming experience and the team was very excited; filled with anticipation with this great moment taking place at our hotel! To the sweet simple things to the big moments; it was our pleasure to be included.
Congratulations!
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I've stayed at other W locations, but this was my first in Minneapolis. This location compares to all others, and I love the vibe the W offers. Our Spectacular Room was very spacious and modern. I did not hear a thing in the hall or other rooms, and we were near the elevator. The amenities are first class (Bliss spa products), and the bed super comfortable. The shower did take a bit to warm up, but after it did, it was awesome, no issues with water pressure as others have noted. There is convenient and reasonable self parking around the corner ($22 for 24 hours) that you can get to without having to venture outside. The front desk attendant was super friendly, and did not "discriminate" because I booked my room on Hotwire, which happens sometimes. The lobby is beautiful, and I wish we'd had time to enjoy Prohibition or some of the other hotel offerings. We stayed here while attending a show at First Ave, and it was a $4 +tip cab ride back from the venue. i would definitely stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisgirl01,
Thank you for taking the time to share this fantastic review with the Trip Advisor community! My apologies that you didn’t have time to experience Prohibition; you’ll need to come back to witness the fabulous 360 degree views of Minneapolis! It was my pleasure to read and respond to your review! I personally hope that you are staying warm this winter season!

Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!