“From a Seasoned Traveler: The W gets an A+ Rating” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Minneapolis
Duluth, Minnesota
“From a Seasoned Traveler: The W gets an A+ Rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is a long review and I apologize but I think that travelers should have the details of the hotels they are thinking about staying at so they have a clear view on what to expect. I hope that if you are planning on traveling to Minneapolis and have considered the W that you continue reading!

Having traveled to the Minneapolis area probably over one hundred times, and having stayed in multiple different areas including downtown and surrounding suburbs, the W at the Foshay Tower has earned its spot as the #1 hotel choice in the Minneapolis area and here is why:

1) Location - For those of you that have been to Minneapolis, you know that the downtown area can be a bit of a hassle to drive in and actually kind of confusing with all of the 1-way streets and avenues. Having said that, the Foshay tower is one of those buildings in the downtown area that cannot be missed even if you physically tried to miss it. It is located on Marquette Ave., which is one of the main stretches in the downtown area, and it is a short walk to just about anything you could want: retail, restaurants (I will touch base on this later), coffee shops, sports venues, and concert venues. Quite frankly, the location of the hotel is perfect in my opinion because it is somewhat out of the way of the direct downtown.

2) Rooms - The rooms at the W are immaculate, having a modern twist on a historical building. Some travelers rate a room based on the sleep quality, the view, the bed, if there is a minibar in the room, or where the room is located in the hotel. For me, the highest rating for a room goes towards the bathroom because I consider it the one thing that can be absolutely a deal breaker. This may be because I do not have an incredible bathroom at home, but if I am going to stay in a nice hotel and spend $200 for a room, I am going to hope that the bathroom is going to be something that I would not experience at home and it is almost an escape. I can safely say that the bathrooms at the W are incredible, main because of the size of the shower, which could fit 6 comfortably; the fact that the shower head is on the ceiling and is a rainforest shower head makes all the difference. I have stayed in hotels where the shower head is located about 5 feet from the floor of the tub/shower floor, and me being 6 feet tall, it does not work all that well. It is good to note that the first three room types all have the same bathrooms which include the rainforest shower head (Wonderful, Spectacular, Cool Corner). When you move into the suites of the hotel the bathrooms are a bit different (although I did not get the chance to stay in one of these unfortunately), and include a soaking tub. I did ask to see the Wow and Extreme Wow suites upon check out for a future stay but were both dirty. Hopefully I will get the chance at some point! For those travelers that are looking for a good view, you are going to want to request (although not guaranteed) a higher floor, which as I am told would be any room type from the Spectacular on up to the E-Wow suite.

3) Dining - There are hundreds of restaurants in the Minneapolis area and many of them are absolutely wonderful, but there is one restaurant that has always stood out above the rest - Manny's Steakhouse. This restaurant is attached to the W, and has to be one of the best, if not the best, restaurant I have been to in Minneapolis. I also highly recommend going here for breakfast on the day of check-out as their Eggs Benedict is exquisite, and I was recommended to try the Short Rib Benedict so I will definitely be trying that the next time around. This restaurant is known for dinner and if you look at the menu, it is for those individuals that are looking for the highest quality when it comes to dining. And if you enjoy wine with dinner, it has one of the best wine menus I've ever seen.

4) Service - What can I say about the service at the W? Every single employee from concierge to room service attendants, to housekeeping, to the guest service agents is extremely professional and will do what they can to ensure your stay is not only what you expect it to be, but to exceed your expectations. I also highly recommend ordering room service if possible, it is the best I have experienced (Manny's Brownie!!). Upon check-in I was greeted with a smile and was also offered a complimentary upgrade to a Cool Corner room (My understanding is that this room is basically a spectacular room that has windows on both sides of the corner). I think that it is important to note here that I have worked in the hospitality industry in the past and have experienced any number of guests and I am a firm believer that one should check-in to a hotel without the expectation of receiving an upgraded room. If you travel and are expecting to be upgraded three room-types above what you booked, it is completely unrealistic. That being said, a hotel that offers a complimentary upgrade simply based on the fact that they want to please a guest in any way possible and do it out of courtesy, is going to be automatically moved to the top of my list for customer service. Hospitality translates into giving a friendly and generous reception to guests, and this hotel, in my personal opinion, receives an A+ in the realm of customer service and in regards to the very definition of hospitality.

Overall, this hotel not only met my expectations, which were quite high to begin with based on recommendations and reviews from friends and coworkers, but it exceeded them. I compliment the management at the hotel and each and every employee that I encountered.

Room Tip: Talk with the guest service agent on what their favorite room is or favorite floor, otherwise just g...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hello SPRtravel,

Thank You! Merci! Gracias! On behalf of the entire team at W Minneapolis-The Foshay, we can’t thank you enough for such an incredible review. We appreciate the time it takes to write such a well-rounded review in addition to sharing it with the Trip Advisor community! The reviews mean so much to our team and it would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again!

Whatever/Whenever,
Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed at teh w one inight with a friend. It was great. Good location, Manny's right next door, the rooms were spacious and clean and very quiet. The bars were very good. The top floor was more yuppies and the want to be seen crowd. The living room on the lower level was more diverse. There were a lot of fun people from teh gblt crowd to businesmen coming from the restaurant. Security was unobtrusive and the staff was very friendly. Vry good music, drink prices were okay and bar snacks were delicious. I had a great time and highly recommend it

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Del l,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with the Trip Advisor community! We appreciate the positive review; it was my pleasure to respond and share your review with the team at W Minneapolis- the Foshay.

Best,
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have stayed at the W Foshay several times and each time has been awesome, most specifically because I was proposing to my now fiancé! The staff at the W helped iron out a ton of details for the proposal itself and we all pulled it off as a great surprise. Lisa, on the concierge staff, embodies the brand's "whatever, whenever," attitude. I have stayed with Starwood a ton for work and pleasure all over the world and W Foshay ranks with the best of them. If you need things to do, places to see, food recommendations, Lisa can make it happen and you can rest assured she wont lead you astray. If you are a meat eater and are in the mood to get overstuffed, hit up Mannys steakhouse. Unreal cuts of meat (both in size and quality), great sides, fun and knowledgeable staff, awesome wine list and good liquor drinks to wash it down. If you are there for a special occasion, grab a Wonderful suite, nice layout and great city views.

Room Tip: Wonderful Suite
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Sam T,
Hello from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! First of all, thank you so much for allowing our team to be a part of such an incredible moment in your life! It’s great to hear that you were taken great care of by our fabulous concierge Lisa! Lisa has done a great job sharing with our team about this upcoming experience and the team was very excited; filled with anticipation with this great moment taking place at our hotel! To the sweet simple things to the big moments; it was our pleasure to be included.
Congratulations!
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I've stayed at other W locations, but this was my first in Minneapolis. This location compares to all others, and I love the vibe the W offers. Our Spectacular Room was very spacious and modern. I did not hear a thing in the hall or other rooms, and we were near the elevator. The amenities are first class (Bliss spa products), and the bed super comfortable. The shower did take a bit to warm up, but after it did, it was awesome, no issues with water pressure as others have noted. There is convenient and reasonable self parking around the corner ($22 for 24 hours) that you can get to without having to venture outside. The front desk attendant was super friendly, and did not "discriminate" because I booked my room on Hotwire, which happens sometimes. The lobby is beautiful, and I wish we'd had time to enjoy Prohibition or some of the other hotel offerings. We stayed here while attending a show at First Ave, and it was a $4 +tip cab ride back from the venue. i would definitely stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisgirl01,
Thank you for taking the time to share this fantastic review with the Trip Advisor community! My apologies that you didn’t have time to experience Prohibition; you’ll need to come back to witness the fabulous 360 degree views of Minneapolis! It was my pleasure to read and respond to your review! I personally hope that you are staying warm this winter season!

Best,
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I think the W is a great hotel. I really loved the style of the rooms with their funky mini bars and glass showers but the static electricity made me feel weird. Oh and the lifts/elevators are sooooooo spooky try and get a room away from the services.

Room Tip: avoid the elevators/lifts
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Carolyn H,
Hello Carolyn! Thank you for reflecting on your stay with us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay all the way from the United Kingdom! We can’t thank you enough for the gracious review and we are happy to read that you experienced many wow’s during your stay!
Cheers!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

What I loved:
Excellent location
Fabulous historic building
Personable service
Gorgeous rooftop bar overlooking city...try the whiskey bread pudding.
Knowledgable concierge helped us arrange several dinners.
Accommodating staff brought us a humidifier for our very dry room.
Well-designed but cozy corner room had lots of light.
Surprisingly quiet rooms thanks to layout of a small number of rooms per floor.

What I could give or take:
The lounge area adjacent to the lobby is a bit too dark and brooding...and boudoir-ish for my taste.

What I didn't love:
So, if you were never into or are so over the club scene, don't plan to grab a drink at the hotel on Friday night. My husband got carded trying to use the lobby bathroom.
Gym was well appointed but treadmills had seen better days.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!