“A preview” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Connecticut
“A preview”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I will be staying at the Foshay this week. For the past few years we have been traveling to Minneapolis three times a year. This will be our first time at the Foshay. To be frank after reading some of the reviews I was tempted to switch, but I am very impressed by the consistent responses from the Guest Relations Managers. My family has owned a limousine service and I am well aware how difficult it is to provide consistently great service. There are often influences and circumstances beyond your control. A good manager cannot control everything that happens but he or she can control how they react. Also I am very impressed by the email we already received asking if there was anything we would like to have set up. We will be there on Friday with great expectations. Gail and Bill O'Keefe Connecticut

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Hello Mr & Mrs. Okeefe,

Thank you very much for the kind words you left for us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We hope that you have a fabulous stay with us; please let our team know if there is anything we can do to make your stay a pleasurable one. Have a safe and wonderful weekend!

Warmest Wishes,

619 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Casselton, North Dakota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a corner room with lots of windows! Great Minneapolis lights! Bed was comfortable, mini bar well stocked. Large shower. Always check out The Prohibition Bar. Great place to people watch. Amenities were good. Check in service was good. Elevators are a pain and so is the key card to get to your floor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for this fantastic review! We know your time is important and we appreciate when our guests take the time to reflect on their travel experiences. Thank you for staying with W Minneapolis-The Foshay and we hope to see you in the near future; even if it’s just to say hello!

Keep Warm,
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great views, perfect location in downtown Minneapolis. The rooms are on the small side but completely modern and I've stayed in much smaller in the Northeast. There are cheap outdoor parking lots within a couple blocks. There is a nice bar on the 27th floor.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hello haroldHood,
Greetings from W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you for sharing with us your review from your recent stay with us! We hope that you are staying warm these winter months and hope that you continue on the journey to safe travels!

Whatever/Whenever,
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Like most w hotels, the hotel is decorated very cool, service is good, room is comfortable. I got a decent rate so I chose to stay here. Being in foshay tower is cool, good views. I would stay here again if I got the same rate

• Stayed January 2013
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Hello Haroldhood,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! We appreciate you the guest taking the time to let us know how your W experience was! We hope to see you back at the Foshay in the near future!

Thank you!

Prior Lake, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the W for our anniversary and had an absolutely horrible experience at this hotel. The W is the equilavent of staying at a college dorm. The walls are thinly insulated and you can hear everything that occurs outside the rooms. There is a party type atmosphere on Friday and Saturday nights with people talking loudly, people boozing it up, and in our case, even getting arrested at 3 AM. The W evidentially does not care how many people are staying in the rooms. In the room adjacent to ours there were approximately 12 people staying in the room, a fight broke out and the management could have cared less. I had to call every hour on the hour for approximately 4 hours to get managment to eventually kick some of the people out of the room adjacent to ours. We literally got no sleep from 11 PM to 5 AM. When we checked out no one seemed to care about what had occured and everyone seemed to act that this is notmal for the W. This place is a mess. It is old, it is noisy, it is like being in a college dorm. We will never be coming back nor would we ever suggest this hotel to anyone. Stay at Motel 6 before staying at the W.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Hello Jason M,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Trip Advisor community. I would like to personally apologize on behalf of W Minneapolis – The Foshay that your experience fell below expectations. I would like to assure you that safety is our number priority for our guests when on property at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We are fully committed to doing our best to make sure that disturbances are handled professionally and extinguished as soon as possible so that every guest has a great experience at our hotel. I hope that we can gain your confidence back to show you that W Minneapolis-The Foshay does appreciate and respects all of our guests. Please see my direct comment for follow up conversation.

New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

While I like luxury for leisure travel, I have been struggling to find a good central downtown business hotel that is top notch in Minneapolis.

The W has purposely hip/mod decor and knowing the rooms are small, I opted for an ultra mega spectacular gagolisciious corner room for an up charge. (The rooms are small but the absurd descriptive superlatives are free.) I didn't mind the dark modern decor, but to get adequate light levels you have to move around the room a bit.

I care about quiet, good control of HVAC and other a good comfortable bathroom. My major complaint was the shower. It is only a rain shower head and the pressure was absurdly low. I was on a mid level in the building and far enough from the top floor that pressure should have been fine. It wasn't.

The sink had a cool looking but wildly counter intuitive faucet also with very little water pressure, that made shaving tedious.

A quick lesson in green: if the pressure is inadequate and the temperature low and it takes you 3x as long to shower and shave, it doesn't help the environment.

Overall, the room was quiet enough, the other aspects were fine, but the rain shower head and low pressure was just annoying enough to prompt me to write a review.

I have tried almost all of the other central downtown hotels in Minneapolis and have not had any luck. (I don't think I can mention them here.)

Service and food at Manny's for breakfast was solid but very slow in the prohibition bar upstairs.

Side note: Why would a steakhouse that serves 'Murica sized heart attack portions of cholesterol slabs be named after the world's foremost cardiovascular entrepreneur? (I guess it helps revenues at St. Jude?)

Bottom line, not adequate for an elite business traveler.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator bank.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Hello RedWagonFarm,

Thank you for sharing your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay with the Trip Advisor community. On behalf of W Minneapolis-The Foshay, I would like to personally, extend an apology to you in regards to your overall stay falling below expectations. We look forward to using your review to strive for a consistent W experience for each guest. In efforts of resolving all of the issues that were listed in your review; I have shared your review with our Director of Engineering and Executive Committee. We hope that we have a future opportunity to gain you back as a guest of W Minneapolis-The Foshay.

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Hotel was really neat and the room was clean and comfortable but watch out for the hair trigger temper of the bartender on the 27th floor. if he doesn't want to make your coffee drink
he will ask for your ID which 1. most hotel stayers don't cart around because they are already checked in and I am 53 years old.then when I asked to see the manager he flew off the handle and threaten to throw me out of the hotel also calling me a coward tring to start something. Most of the other people we ran into helped us except the the complimentary coffee area where it took an act of congress to get some decaf. The trip was a gift which included a dinner and Ajax comedy club.
These guys need to find something that suits their temperament because it isn't customer service.
Stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: corner rooms are the best because of the view south side for some solar heat.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Hello Gw,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. It is my pleasure to read and respond. I would like to personally apologize on behalf of W Minneapolis-The Foshay in regards to your experience. We are currently having talks with our entire team in their respected services of the hotel in efforts to make sure that this situation does not happen again. We stand by providing superior guest services and we are currently taking all necessary precautions to make sure that we are meeting and exceeding guest expectations. I hope that W Minneapolis-The Foshay has the opportunity to gain your trust back and to provide you a great W experience. Please see my direct message for follow up comments.

Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!