“A Classic With A Great Vibe” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #10 of 49 hotels in Minneapolis
Minnesota
“A Classic With A Great Vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

A Friday night in Minneapolis for my wife's birthday. The beautiful design of the Foshay tower transformed into a hip hotel, but it still has classic features. Combine those, and the experience becomes very different than a typical hotel stay.
You're right in the middle of the downtown action, so restaurants and other entertainment are close by. There are two great bars in the hotel. The bar in the lobby becomes the place to see and be seen late at night and Prohibition on the 27th floor is just a cool place to be anytime. The rooms are cool along with the bathrooms. Great flat screen TV's but no HD . Weird. I'd forgotten a few items and staff was right there with replacements.
I'd recommend this to anyone and will always check this out when I'm staying downtown.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Hello Minnekid,
Welcome to the world of Whatever/Whenever; I’m thrilled that we were able to provide your missing items to you without skipping a beat! Thank you for this fantastic review of W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We love that our hotel is located in such a beautiful framework of the historic Foshay Tower! Hopefully, you were able to stop in our Museum and Observation Deck located on the 30th floor which is complementary to our in-house guests! As of Monday December 1st, I am excited to announce that W Minneapolis-The Foshay offers HD in all 229 of our guest rooms! From all of us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay; Happy Holidays.

Best,

627 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We took a last minute trip to MN from Phoenix for the Cardinals/Vikings game and wanted to enjoy a nice hotel downtown where were could walk to the stadium. We had stayed in a W before in Atlanta so knew the brand type, and however not so much for us (the urban young club feeling) we were talking our adult son and his girlfriend with us so thought they would enjoy the hotel.

Staff is friendly and helpfull. The rooms are clean and well appointed, however small which I credit to the historical aspects of the building . We were able to get two rooms on an upper floor with a veiw which was great. The showers were also very nice,

If you want the "club" experience it greets you at the door! The kids (mid 20's) decided to venture into downtown for entertainment outside of the W (they are less urban club and more contemporary or country) and found the staff very helpful on recommendations.

We had a pleasant stay and would stay again, however we are more the Westin type of guests for atmosphere.

Room Tip: Requst upper room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Great hotel for business. Terrific location. Excellent staff.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, November 13, 2011
Hello Berrie2234,
Thank you for your recommendation! I am glad to read you had a great business stay with us!

Whatever/Whenever,
MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Booked a night here at the Foshay for our wedding anniversary. When booking I did not mention the anniversary, did post a remark on their Facebook page about our upcoming stay. I was extremely surprised when we checked in to find that our room was upgraded for our anniversary and a bottle of champagne was on ice in the room. This goes above and beyond for me when compared to other hotels I have stayed at. The staff was friendly and helpful and the room was clean and fabulous and was very quiet. It seemed as though we were the only guests here. I will definately plan on staying here in the future and wil recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello Addison,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and provide great feedback about your recent W experience. I hope you had a memorable anniversary, thank you so much for staying with us! Sometimes is just about the sweet simple things! We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

My Best,
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stay at the W at least once every couple of months, but the last time we went there, we put our car in valet and the valet directed the car in front of us to back up into our car. No one at the hotel would take responsibility, the hotel blaming the valet company and the valet company blaming the driver of the car. At one point, the hotel director asked us why we didn't back up our car when we saw the rear lights on. Considering it was a one way street, with oncoming traffic - it was another attempt to not help us with the situation. We stood outside for 2 hours waiting for the police and missed the event we were supposed to go to. When the insurance company contacted the valet, we were told that the hotel told them that they were not allowed to talk to them. The only person who did the right thing was the manager, who stayed with us the entire time and doing what he could to ameliorate the situation. If it were not for him, I would write off ever staying at this place again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Susan M, General Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for your inconvenience. I was informed that we attempted to reach you to no avai.

I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you to discuss this further.

My contact information:
Susan.Mabry@starwoodhotels.com
612 215 3730

Best regards,

Susan
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at W for 4 nights at a wonderful room. Room was roomy and modern, and their service was excellent as they claimed "whatever, whenever" except one air-head or hateful Acura limousine service driver. The great side first: a few weeks before coming over, I made a request online at Starwood chain web site that my room would be over 10th floor, looking at the river side. Starwood customter service representative completely ignored replying to my request for good one week, and this person finally sent me a brief email message, saying, "we cannot guarantee your request, why don't you request it when you check in? We just made a note to your reservation about your request." - well, then, why do you claim, "whatever, whenever"? - I asked to the reservation desk manager of W by email, to which she right away responded that she held my room to be over 10th floor on the river side. Great. I thought her response was quick and nice, but actually I think my room was not on the river side. My room was right next to the next tall building and I could see office rooms through windows, so I could not lift my blinds the whole time. I wanted to get a river side one, but this is downtown, view would not be great nor I don't think it's their sales point, so I gave up.

Anyway, another great things: requests for coffee maker and microwave were quickly handled. They do respond quickly, while I knew I was not an easy quiet customer but they were wonderful. When I requested my bill to be made by 6:00 PM of the previous day of my departure, they did so as I requested.

The worst experience I had at W: they offer Acura limousine service within 5 miles, I suggest you would not use the service, as this is a complete sales pitch that W claims they are not responsible of. My husband and I decided to use the service and requested them to take us to the first class french restaurant. I mentioned the french restaurants name several times through conversations to make/confirm reservations for the limousine service with several staff. We hopped on the Acura on time and we were looking forward to going there. This driver started driving, confirmed us that we wanted to go to this french restaurant, and as soon as we left a few block, he gave us this questionnaire, which basically were customer survey designed by Acura with an obvious intention of trying to get potential customers asking what cars we would plan to buy within how many years, what our address/tel. are etc., and we started feeling a little uncomfortable. After that he drove us to the middle of nowhere (Washingon St.?) where things did not look so safe. He stopped a car in front of an old building where there's a fast-food sandwich store was on the first floor. He stopped the car. I was sitting behind him, he got off the car, and opened my side (left) door which was facing the traffic. Excuse me, who the h-ll opens the door facing the traffic to have customer get off the car? Are you nuts? Unbelievable! I carefully got off the car, and my husband did from the right door (pedestrian side), also. As soon as we got off, he drove off, and we were wondering where this french restaurant was. The whole area was obviously unsafe and certainly did not seem like the area where the first class restaurant was. We tried to call the Acura driver or the W limousine service desk, but we could not find the number nor he left one for us. The area was so scary and we didn't even see a taxi car driving nearby. Finally I called a taxi company to get a taxi and it cost much more than what I would have paid for a taxi ride from the hotel because of this either air-headed or malicious driver. (he checked the french restaurant with us, we think he intentionally dropped us off at completely wrong spot.) After the incident I talked with the front desk person and explained about what happened. Nobody called us to apologize or nothing. We next called the manager of the W limousine service (or the front desk?) and clearly mentioned that we were not happy with the experience. The manager insisted it was solely operated by Acura, hence he implied W was not responsible for. (well, I'd suggest they don't loudly advertise "W offers Acura limousine service." if they totally intends to shift the responsibility to the third party.) Manager did not even offer to cover the taxi expense unless we submit the receipt, while all he needs to do to confirm if our claim was true or false would be IF he interviews this driver where he dropped us off and google map the french restaurant, the expense this driver caused us would be plain obvious. After my explanation, he offered no apology, insisted it was totally under Acura operation by an Acura driver-employee. he even mentioned, "we wouldn't know if your claim would be true unless you give us the receipt." All he said was, "so do you want extra points for W membership?" Wow, after the horrible treatment, he is thinking we're after points? Unless you're happy someone trying to sell Acura in the future or unless you would be o.k. no matter what a driver does to you or what W manager would tell you, my advise would be, just don't use the service. It's not a service, it's a sales scam.

Also, this is a hook-up hotel especially on Friday. The lobby and bar near the entrance are filled with young businessmen who are looking for the sexual encounter and I saw several obviously drunk loud customers. Pink light at the hotel front desk they intends to be hip is cheesey and ill-taste, also. Cleaning crew's job was o.k., although there was a day it was not so clearn, while it was pretty good on other days. Room refrigerator was filled with booz and this is obviously not a good for family travelors with small children. In addition, they charged $5 for a small water bottle! Are you kidding me?? - just walk one block and go get a bigger bottle at Wallgreen for $1.50. Internet charge is insane, also. $12.95 for 24 hours. Ugh, is this a good customer service to overcharge?? The heavenly bed was heavenly and I did not hear much noise except slight noise of elevator. The room was dark but was not too bad. Heater was quiet, too. I do appreciate those staff who quickly responded to my requests and they were great, but this Acura driver and manager's response at the limousine service desk totally ruined my experience. I think I can find a better hotel somewhere else for the price they charge.

Room Tip: If you have a room request, don't request online at starwood web site. You have to talk directl...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Good Afternoon,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I apologize for your inconvenience but would appreciate the opportunity to discuss further with you so we can come up with a resolution.

My contact information is: Susan Mabry, General Manager
E-Mail Address: Susan.Mabry@Starwoodhotels.com
Telephone Direct Line: 612 215 3730

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Susan
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This hotel is top notch. If you are looking for something over the top and very special, this is it!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, November 5, 2011
Hello CAC53,
Thank you for such kind words in regards to your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We hope to have you in-house for your next special occasion or any reason to experience the extraordinary.
Whatever/Whenever,
Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!