“Surprisingly dirty and weathered for a newer hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Surprisingly dirty and weathered for a newer hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Great location and cool hotel. But they switched us to 3 different rooms because the rooms they checked us into were filthy. Promised me extra points, never added them to my account. Modern design, but rooms look very run down. Overall we had a nice stay and finally got a clean room, on a high floor. Really cool to spend a night in the Foshay Tower. Look up the history if you don't know it. And grab as many meals as you can in Key's Cafe downstairs.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Hello NLVegas,
I hope you enjoyed your time in the wonderful city of Minneapolis. I want to personally apologize for not getting your initial room assignment correct. I want my guests to be comfortable and not having to switch multiple rooms. We currently are doing weekly inspections of all rooms and public spaces with our Director of Style and Director of Operations to assess any space that needs additional attention to detail. We have a lot of time and energy that went into creating our beautiful enviornment and we want to keep it superb condition. Thank you for sharing your W experience with the Trip Advisor community. I want to make sure that you receive your Starwood Preferred Guest points; I have sent you a message directly to follow up.

My Best,
Matthew Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed at W for 3 nights at the end of September.

Very funky place. Lots of pink coloring everywhere. There are many little details that are really neat. My wife liked that the floor mats in the elevator were changed so that you were greeted properly depending on the time. For example the mat said Good Morning only in the morning.

We had the least expensive room but it was completely adequate and very comfortable. A large desk/work area for your laptop if you bring it along. A very well stocked mini-bar with tons to choose from. Large bathroom with very nice shower and a fabulous bed.

We asked for the quietest room possible and we were put at the end of the hall, further from the elevators. Not sure it mattered, we didn't hear any noises coming up the elevator shafts the entire stay.

The crowds in the lobby bar and the bar on 28th floor are definitely more in the young adult category. But the hotel guests are a wide variety of younger and older, business people and leisure travellers.

All of the staff were helpful, the valets and bellmen were always prompt and extremely curteous. I had been promised free internet when we checked in and it appeared on my bill at check-out time. I pointed this out and it was quickly and gladly reversed.

The hotel is in a great location downtown, close to many restaurant choices, ball park, hockey rink etc. We enjoyed walking around downtown Minneapolis using our hotel as a base.

We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
TimWit,
Thank you for the outstanding review! I have already shared it with the team at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. Yes, we love pink here at W Minneapolis-The Foshay too. It’s a very warm color and we were able to use the color within our lighting, carpet and munchies boxes! My apologies as your bill initially had your internet charge however I’m happy that we were able to remove that for you; we do our best to try and get it perfect on the first try. We always want our guests to have a quiet stay especially inside their guest rooms so thank you for your review of the noise level! Please come back and see us again at W Minneapolis-The Foshay!
Thank you!
Port Perry, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

My wife and I usually travel together to Minny for the Vikings-Packers game however I had decided to make a solo trip this past weekend for the Lions game. I used priceline.com and the name your price option. Always a gamble as you cannot pick the hotel and I really like the Westin Minneapolis. This time, W Minneapolis - The Foshay took my offer. I was somewhat apprehensive, not because of the quality of the hotel (we eat at Manny's every time we come down so I am familar with the hotel lobby), I knew it was very nice but rather that it would be too trendy for me, especially travelling solo. I'm early 40's, pretty simple, happiest in a pair of shorts, sandals and t-shirt (or my football jersey).

For those that only want the summary, this hotel was fantastic! I did not feel out of place in my shorts and sandals, nor did I get treated any differently. If you are apprehensive about this hotel being to "fussy" or "pretensious" for you, don't sweat it. I would gladly stay here again.

If you want more details, checkin was flawless, took about 30 seconds to do the credit card swipe for incidentals (with priceline, the room of course prepaid), get keys and off to the room. Check-in is 3pm I think. Well, it was 11am....they had my room ready. Perfect! I had a "spectacular" room on the 12th floor. Walked in, very cool room. Good work area for a laptop, super cool fully stocked mini fridge (which I temporarily emptied and stocked with my own "supplies"), and of course the always awesome heavenly beds that Starwood is famous for. Bathroom very cool, simply appointed, lots of room. Very cool shower.

Room was clean, very similar to the pictures you see on the website except lacking the flower arrangements and candles (I would think candles and hotels are not a good idea). One thing that I thought was a nice touch, was, the mats in the lifts/elevators were changed three times a day with the greeting "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon" or "Good Evening" depending on the time of day, I don't know why but I thought that was a neat touch and high level of detail.

Sorry that I cannot comment on the bars or the living room as I did not make use of them while I was here, there was a nice pub (8th Street Grill) across the road that served my needs and no need to waste a trip to Manny's for dinner while travelling alone, I will save that for my return in October for the Packers' game with my wife. Highly recommend you include Manny's for dinner and Hell's Kitchen around the corner for breakfast/brunch (both places require a reservation). I will say, I never had to wait very long for a lift/elevator no matter what time of the day. The hotel was very quiet at night, I was not disturbed by elevator noise of people going up to the bar on 27th floor (and my room was near the elevators).

All in all, a fantastic hotel, as mentioned, I really like the Westin, however this hotel is every bit as nice and being so close to Manny's and Hell's Kitchen, it is a better location, there is tons of food and shopping all around the W hotel. I will gladly stay here again, and would highly recommend it.

One final note, we stopped renting cars here. We fly into Minneapolis, take the Light Rail Train downtown, and the W is a short 4 block (5-7 min easy walk in favourable weather) from the Nicollet Mall Train Stop. You can take the same train back, past the airport to the Mall of America. Simply fantastic.

Room Tip: I was initially concerned about my room being near the elevators.....don't sweat it, there was n...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Hello SpottedViking!
SKOL Vikings! I am sorry that the Vikings were not able to pull out the “W” during your recent visit to Minneapolis however; I am thrilled that you had an incredible experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. It’s good to hear that you were comfortable in the various parts of the hotel and that everyone can fit in here! We strive for our guests to feel welcome whether they are staying overnight or having a meeting in our banquet space or having a cocktail in the Living Room. We pay a lot of attention to detail in all parts of W Minneapolis- so it’s great that you noticed our welcome mats in the lifts! Next time you are here; try and find the “hidden door” in the living room! On a final note, your inside tips are fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review! It was a pleasure to read.

All my best,
Sacramento, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

If you are attending anything at the convention center this is a great hotel. You are also very close to Target Field and Target Center. The hotel itself is great. I would say that this particular property is not "Themed" for the average family with small children. If you are night owl or couple who like to party-this is the perfect spot. The bar seemed to be packed every night and their "Living Room" seemed to have an event every night. We even saw a bridal shower going on. The room service is great as well as the gym. The room was appointed with very modern furnishings and the bed was great the only down fall to this hotel is that no matter what time of day the lobby, dinner and rooms seem to be very dark. I would assume it is the effect they are looking for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river and be above the 10th floor. It is a much better view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
WMpls-Foshay, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
I hope you enjoyed your time in Minneapolis! I am proud that W Minneapolis-The Foshay is able to be in a great location for so many activities that brings many people into the city; even if it might be a little out of the way, W Minneapolis-The Foshay is happy to take you away to a destination within 5 miles compliments of our Acura experience! Our guests love to mix and mingle in the Living Room, Prohibition and Manny's, where they can take the lift home at the end of their night! Thank you for the great review and we look forward to providing accommodations to you soon!

Thank You!
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Even though I only live 20 minutes from DT Minneapolis, I have stayed at this W at least a dozen times....primarily for special nights out for birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

We choose this hotel for several reasons. 1. We are SPG members, 2. We often eat at Manny's, and 3. We often end up at the bar downstairs at the end of the night.

Beds are comfy, bathrooms are big, location is great and they often have deals where valet parking is included.

Service is always excellent as well.....From check-in/out, to the valets, to the guy that drives the Acura. I've also ordered room service many times (I like the cheese plate and the tuna tartar!) and it's always prompt and good.

I'm sure there will be many more nights ahead for me and my friends at the W Foshay!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for the fabulous review! I enjoyed sharing this positive review with our entire team at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I think it goes to say that you have the great combination as to why you visit the Foshay often and not to mention you are a Starwood Preferred Guest member! We also look forward to being your “home away from home” ! Thank you again for taking the time out of your day to share your W experiences with us!

Wishes,
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Tres chic hotel...just as one would expect from W. As always, the heavenly bed is hard to leave, and the shower was divine! Excellent location for shopping downtown. Manny's Steakhouse is next door and the breakfast was fabulous. They are short on double beds, so this must be a couples retreat. Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Hello MMDY,
Thank you for sharing your review with the trip advisor community, I am glad that W Minneapolis-The Foshay was able to meet your expectations as one should expect from a W Hotel! The next time you are with us, visit Tim our concierge who might just be able to give you some “insider” shopping deals and secrets throughout Minneapolis and the surrounding areas!

My Best,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Attending a conference in Minneapolis, I booked the room four months in advance through Hotwire, so only stayed here through luck--and got a real bargain. Only glitch was that I asked for two beds because I was sharing with another conference attendee, and on checking in (arriving before noon before I could officially check in), the clerk was unable/unwilling to find a room with two beds. It took three times requesting a rollaway to actually have it delivered, and we were charged extra for the extra bed--although we were only charged half the regular fee. But once we were settled, everything went smoothly (with rollaway squeezed in, room was extra-small). On returning home, I told my girlfriend, who was unable to accompany me, that she missed joining me at an exceptional "date" hotel. The last night of the conference, I invited a few colleagues to the 27th floor bar, which is worth checking out.

Room Tip: A friend advised when booking on Hotwire to say the room is for 4 people to make sure of getting two...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Hello Ken,
Thank you for staying with us during your conference in Minneapolis! My apology as the hotel was not able to accommodate your initial request for two beds as we have only 11 double queen bed room configurations in the hotel. W Minneapolis-The Foshay does charge $25 dollars per night per rollaway. We do want our guests to be comfortable when sharing a room during their stay however we do ask that the guest does confirm their room type before arriving to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time as we know it is important and we invite you to stay with us again soon.

Best,
Matthew Hawkins

Been to W Minneapolis - The Foshay? Share your experiences!