“Disgusted.” 2 of 5 stars

Book now and save 25%
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Mankato
“Disgusted.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We live in town and have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn many times, usually just for convenience if we had a wedding at the Verizon Wireless Center. Lobby is nice but small, staff helpfulness is average. Expect to wait if you are wanting to take an elevator. Slowest elevators I've ever stepped foot in. You will save 10 minutes easy by taking the stairs. Rooms are ok... I usually haven't had much to rave or complain about, but our stay last weekend was disappointing. First when we checked in Saturday the entire lobby was filled with grungy people hanging around, which I was sickly informed that there was a Pool Tourney going on across the street. I have never heard cat calls made in a nicer hotel lobby but there people were downright trailer trash, rude, crude, smokey and did I mention rude?? Anyways. We were put on the 8th floor on an end room, which we were relieved that maybe that would provide a little seperation from the unpleasants we had encountered downstairs. When we walked in, I was surprised at how roomy our room was, I didn't remember a room being so spacious. That is until I entered the bathroom, which was square; one wall lined with a tub, the other lined with a counter/sink, and toilet literally when you walked in. Which meant, u only had about half of the space to use on the counter since the toilet was in the way. Same with shower. I also remember smelling a very very fruity smell the minute we walked in the door. It wasn't unpleasant but I couldn't find what the source of it was.

Later in the night I wasn't feeling well at the wedding reception so my fianc`e walked me back to my room as he didn't trust me walking back by myself because of all the pool tournament slums. I was going to take a bath to help with my migraine but realized the tub was altered so you couldn't fill up the tub. Fine. I showered and got into bed, but that fruity smell was still so strongly in the room that it made my migraine worse, which caused the worst nausea in my entire life! I was miserable! I was looking forward to having a relaxing TV night but I felt so crappy I had to have my entire face under the sheets to escape the stench. Not only that but our room was right by a maintence room on the which was so noisy I couldn't even fall asleep for what seemed like hours.

Around 2am, my fiance and I awoke to the sound of someone trying to get into our room. Thinking it was maybe a family member that had to much to drink, and was on the wrong floor ( we had no family on the same floor as us) my fiance looked in the peephole and sure enough he saw a bunch of random drunk people stumble away. We tried to go back to sleep but a few minutes later we heard a ton of people talking, laughing and I assume drinking. I have no idea where they were, I assume in the surrounding rooms because we didn't see anyone when we opened our room door, but it sounded like they were right outside out door. We called the front desk and they assured us they would put an end to it. They did not. Walls are paper thing. Horrible nights rest.

In the morning as we got up to get out of there, my fiance called me out of the bathroom to show me something. He showed me the sheets, which had pubic-looking hairs EVERYWHERE and long thick, course dark hair. To say the least, I have short blond hair and my fiance is as close to bald as you can get. Disgusting. We ran out of that place. For as much as they charge per night I don't think clean sheets and quiet at 3am is too much to ask.

I wish I could say something good about Olives, the restaurant in the hotel, other than their Tuesday night sushi is fantastic, but unless you want to feel like you are dining with strangers since you are seated at tiny tables in the middle of a room literally right next to a stranger, I would steer clear of that too. Way over priced and way too small. Nice try at an upscale restaurant, but this is MANKATO.

Unfortunately we had too much of a dissapointing stay and we wont be back. Next time we will be booking a room at the City Center Hotel. Its a shame because the hotel has lots of potential.

• Stayed April 2013
mankato11, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Mankato Downtown, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
On behalf of the Hilton Garden Inn, I would like to apologize for your dissatisfaction with our property and your stay this month. Each of your area of concerns are being looked at seriously and where appropriate, the proper measures are being taken. This includes further training of staff where needed within the Housekeeping Department, Front Desk and in regards to our security procedures when guests are being disruptive to our other guests.

The Hilton Garden Inn does not discriminate against any type of individual or group that chooses to stay with us. However, we do not tolerate inappropriate behavior of our guests, and again sincere apologies are extended to you for your unpleasant evening.

I am very sorry that you will not be returning to our hotel in the future. If there is anything I could do for another opportunity to experience the Hilton Garden Inn, please let me know.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and concerns, we do appreciate the opportunity to improve.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The rooms and common areas of this hotel were very clean and well maintained. The rooms are a good size. Beds are comfortable. Hotel staff were very efficient and friendly. If you are going to an event at the convention center, it is very handy to be so close, and the skywalk between the buildings is terrific in winter. The restaurant was excellent, although their drinks were fairly high-priced. The breakfast buffet was excellent on Sunday.

The only downsides were the parking garage and the elevators. There is only a small portion of one floor of the garage designated for hotel guests. The majority of the garage is filled with reserved spaces, presumably for the office building next door. Some were reserved 24 hours; others were reserved from 7 am to 5 pm (no indication of whether that is 7 days a week or only week days). The entire first floor was reserved for the hotel's restaurant, with grave warnings posted that anyone else will be towed. Every time we went out and came back, we spent quite a bit of time driving around, looking for a non-reserved spot, since the hotel-designated spots were always full. Also, it had snowed a day or so before, and the lot was full of snow and ice for the two days we were there, even though it is covered.

There are only two elevators for the entire hotel, which meant long waits to go up or down.

Overall, we would stay here again, but the parking situation really needs to be resolved. Having the hotel garage mostly reserved for neighboring businesses doesn't make much sense.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mankato11, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Mankato Downtown, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
First of all thank you for allowing us the opportunity to welcome you as our guests. We're extremely pleased you ejoyed the property and the accomadations. I realize that the parking is sometimes difficult to navigate, but we do not own the lot, the city owns it and runs it. We are provided spaces that are reserved for our guests between the 2nd and 3rd floor, but also have access to over 300 other non reserved spaces throughout the ramp and usually parking is not a problem. Sometimes, there may be a large event taking place in the city, and parking then is sometimes a bit of an issue. I am not sure when you stayed with us, but that could have been the case while you were here. I'm guessing that the hotel was most likely full, and often when we have a significant amount of people coming and going, the elevators tend to be a little slower the usual.
Again thank you for your comments and we hope you choose to stay with us again.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I love Mankato because of the Betsy-Tacy connection and have stayed in several other hotels when visiting. This time I was there on business and my company booked the Hilton. I was so impressed. Lovely decor and excellent food from the Olives Restaurant. Very nice breakfast special as well. I will stay there again!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

We want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to review our property. I know that I, as well as the rest of the staff are committed to making each guest stay a memorable one, and I'm glad you enjoyed your time here.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

just stupid you don't know someone is stuck in an elevator for one half hour to 45minutes till someone sounds the fire alarm for help and wakes up everyone that's sleeping or whatever and makes them evacuate the hotel for a half hour to 45 minutes more

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

mankato11, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Mankato Downtown, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for saying with us and also for the review of our property. I do apologize for the inconvenience of alarms sounding during your stay and would like to offer this explanation for both the elevator and the fire alarm.
First, when the elevator is inoperable, a call goes to the elevator company, who then calls us. We cannot, by law do anything at that time to help our guests out. The elevator company discharges a certified mechanic to dislodge the elevator and let people out. It is unfortunate, but it happens when the elevator is overloaded or there is excessive movement which causes the car to default and shut down for the safety of the inhabitants.
I also apologize for one of our guests making the decision to pull the fire alarm, as I was not aware the two things were related, and from my understanding, none of our guests was asked to evacuate the hotel.
Again, my sincere apologies to you and hopefully, you will give us another chance to provide you with the service we pride ourselves on.
Lyons, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great hotel with a fantastic restaurant, Olives, and helpful staff. I would always stay in this hotel when in the area. I love the hitlon Garden in chain of hotels, and this hotel is a class above the normal HGI due to the high quality restaurant.

Room Tip: I always pick a high floor away from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
mankato11, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Mankato Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thanks for the great review on both the hotel and Olives. I am happy you chose our property for your travel needs and also for you dining pleasure. We hope we can welcome you again very soon
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's unfortunate that this hotel is adjacent to train tracks with many trains travelling by. The trains cause the building to shake. Otherwise, this was a nice, modern, clean and professionally run HGI.

Room Tip: Maybe asking for a room facing the downtown will help the shaking issue, not sure.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
mankato11, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Mankato Downtown, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review our property. I'm glad you found our property to be up to the standards you would expect from a Hilton property. I have not had the trains near the river come up before, so I will have to reserve comments on this issue, but I most definatly will check into it.
Thanks for staying with us, and hopefully you'll allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again in the very near future.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel is very modern and clean. The restaurant is very tasty. The only thing unpleasant was checking in. It was a lady that check me in, Lory, or Laura. She was very unprofessional and barked at me(instead of talking) all the directions and info. There was a line of people behind me waiting, and instead of letting me move on so she could help others she extremely over explained everything. I believe it would be very beneficial for the hotel to have employees that can read body signals, which I believe was not her strong point. I think my body language was very obvious that I needed to get going and she needed to not make others wait unnecessarily. Other than this I love the style and food at this hotel.

Room Tip: I would suggest a high floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
mankato11, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Mankato Downtown, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I apologize for the amount of information we need to convey to you when checking in, but over time we have come to the conclusion that more is actually better. I would much rather give to much information, then to have a guest tell me they were never told someything about our property. I'm also surprised by Lori's behavior, as she has been nothing short of outstanding. I will certainly have a talk with her and obvoiusly, I would offer my apologies for her. Thanks again for your comments, as they most certainly help us become better in all aspects of our business.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Mankato Downtown? Share your experiences!