“Very dirty.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Mankato B&B and Inns
Buhl, MN
“Very dirty.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The building smells of cigarette smoke upon entry. The lobby was decent with a sitting area for breakfast but the breakfast was the absolute bare minimum. The coffee was not good. The room was very dirty. They should fire their cleaners and hire new because there is a total lack of effort. Dirt and dust bunnies in the corners, every corner. The bedspread when pulled back was stained with multiple things, enough said. The tv was smudged and filthy, I didn't even turn it on because the on/off button was literally black. The bathroom doesn't have an outlet. The air conditioner worked great, the hotel was quiet, front desk staff was friendly. The towels are thread bare, the water ran rusty brown for a about 30 seconds every time I turned it on. This hotel would be much, much improved with a better cleaning staff. There is no excuse for such a high level of laziness. They are single handedly driving customers away.

Room Tip: They don't call it Budget Inn for nothing. This place is filthy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CDesai, Public Relations Manager at Budget Host Inn Mankato, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear about how dirty your room was, your comments have been passed on to our housekeeping staff. This should help improve in that department. We are also glad to inform we have made some new additions to our free continental breakfast. Thank you for your feedback.

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Duluth, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stopped by since I was in town for 1 day or work and thought location would work for me--that was my first mistake! Parking lot was empty but man behind glass window said they were almost full and only had a larger room available so I was stuck with it and later I found he didn't even give me the rate I qualified for. Normally your credit card is authorized and not charged until check out in case you extend stay or pay another way, but employee charged me right away and gave me an almost blank receipt. I asked for a non smoking room and as I walked to the room I was worried as the hallway smelled of smoke and when I entered my room it was an adjoining room and smelled bad and I could already hear the people next door. I looked around the room and saw curtains falling off the wall, a torn and stained bedspread, dirty floor and the bathroom was horrible--there were used bars of soap in the shower, just 2 towels hanging and you could see how dirty they were and the overall room was just nasty looking. I went back to the front desk and complained and was told that since I entered the room for awhile I would have to pay for it--I was in there for no more than 10 minutes! I was given the choice to rent another room and have to pay again or stay where I was at since they would need to clean the room since I was in there----I doubt it had been cleaned in quite awhile! What type of service is this??? I could not justify another expense and the weather was not good so I stayed but came back with my own cleaning supplies and put my own blankets down on the bed. The entire stay was terrible as it smelled like smoke, lots of questionable people coming and going all night---the outside doors are open for anyone to come and go--great security! Never got the wake up call I asked for and when I left in the morning the front desk had a container out front with a sign for people to just leave their keys. I stood there 10 minutes and even tried calling the front desk and no one answered--I am sure this is part of the plan so people have no choice to complain and management doesn't have to listen to complaints! Seriously, I have stayed at many places all over the country and this was by far the worst! Rarely have I ever felt unsafe somewhere--but this place had me sleeping with one eye open. With all that happened--don't even chance a stay here and do not even think about bringing your family or kids as I would be scared to death to have my family here!

Room Tip: Not worth it no matter how cheap the rates or reason for the stay!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CDesai, Manager at Budget Host Inn Mankato, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Please accept our apologies for all the terrible issues you put up with during your recent stay. From your description, it seems you were accidentally rented a room that was dirty from a previous guest stay. Since that is never the state of a room we would rent. Despite of acknowledging the mistake, our staff was rude to you. Your complaint was very poorly handled by our front desk attendant. Please realize that this is not the kind of service or experience that the Budget Host Inn in Mankato expects to provide. Our standard procedure is to at least offer you another clean room if not a refund. We have retrained our entire front desk team, on how all the issues you brought to our attention should have been handled. Hope this incident will not prevent you from giving us a chance to make things right in the future.
Unlike other hotels, our check-in policy does require an upfront payment for the stay. Our staff should have informed you about it prior to charging your credit card.
Regarding the security question, our side exits currently do not have a card lock system in place but this is something we are looking to change soon, meanwhile we have installed a new security camera system in place which monitors both the interior and the exterior of our building. We recently also went through an extensive remodeling and we would like to invite you to come again and check us out.
Randolph, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our family stayed here while attending a weekend event in Mankato. Having read the previous review we were a little apprehensive, but the price was right, so we gave Budget Host a chance. We ended up being very glad that we did. The building is older, but was clean and quiet. We needed two double beds but were given a room with two doubles plus a single. Our kids were delighted by the novelty of having three beds in the room, and the single turned out to be a handy place to spread out our suitcases. All the bedding was comfortable and in good condition. The hotel provided shampoo packets, wrapped soaps, and plenty of towels and wash cloths. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room, as well as a TV. All worked fine. The shower was nice and hot and had good water pressure. The service was friendly. My husband wanted an extra pillow to put under his back, and they obliged without a problem. My husband and I used the free Wi-Fi from our 2nd floor room and it connected easily and worked perfectly on both of our laptops. The continental breakfast was a happy surprise. They provided two types of cereal, toast, muffins, doughnuts and other pastries, plus coffee, milk, orange juice, and apple juice. Our 11-year-old thought their orange juice was especially delicious. We arrived rather late for breakfast (around 8:30), but there were still plenty of items to choose from, and the staff was even restocking the pastries as we finished up. We took a walk around back and were impressed by the lovely park and pond which has a nice swimming beach. The weather was chilly when we were there, but we would definitely have made use of that in the warmer months. All-in-all a perfectly nice place to spend the weekend, at a very affordable price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brevard, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

This motel was terrible! We stayed here only because it was first week of working in town and money was tight. Sign advertises internet, but even upon check-in they fail to inform you that their router is bottom shelf and only picks up right next to it. You have to go to the lobby to use internet where it is at least 90 degrees. I was told that I didn't pay extra for that so I should move if it didn't work for me. Morning number three sitting in lobby using internet, overheard conversation with bug man saying he had killed the bed bugs in rooms upstairs.......if one room has them, wouldn't you spray the whole establishment? The sixth morning there I was woken up by a plumber banging a hammer or something right out in the hall from my room. I called office to complain and informed them I had a headache and had to wake up to that! They were kind enough to offer me another room to rest in until repair was made, but I had already lysoled my room down, febreezed it down, and scrubbed down all services I had to touch. Again I was told that I should just move and that I seemed like a customer that could not be satisfied. Really?? You pay for a service, and as a customer I pay their paycheck and I want respect, consideration, and services I pay for. I much rather be at home in my clean house, but circumstances have taken me on road to work. Unfortunately motels have become my homes away from home and to have to stay in a dump like this is sad that people get by with running businesses like this!! Then as I was leaving to do some shopping after all this, two police officers are walking the halls looking for someone. This place needs to be shut down!! No respect for hard working people, they would rather rent their rooms to trash, rather than people with standards!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Budget Host Inn Mankato? Share your experiences!