“Over priced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mankato City Center Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mankato City Center Hotel to your Saves list
Mankato City Center Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 East Main Street, Mankato, MN 56001 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #12 of 16 hotels in Mankato
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Styaed here for a wedding weekend. Very disappointed in value for the price. Having stayed in a variety of hotels over time I was intersted to see what kind of place this was for the money. I was very disappointed! Teh continental breakfast was something that I would normally see at a low end hotel with do it yourself waffles, milk, juice, small mini donuts, tiny danish pieces and oranges for the only fruit. The syrup for the waffles was empty and it took over 5 min. for ther staff to bring another bottle ( not in a dispener but full bottle) once told of it (this happened an hour before the end of it).
Had our 1 free drink in the bar (buy one and get one), ordered chips and cheese to snack on the chips were stale!
The decor of the room seemed dark and dated. Pool was nice but more on the order of an older Holiday Inn (which it used to be ).
Front desk staff was friendly which was the best part of the whole stay!

I would stay at one of the other hotels in the city nex time, which for about the same price, I heard was much better!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chaska, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The rooms are fairly nice and include a refrigerator and microwave. the hotel pool area was in remodeling so they are trying to improve the hotel. the hot tub is nice and big but the temperature was luke warm at best. There was no timer for bubbles or a tempurature control. I have been in warmer swimming pools at hotels. although it may be a family hotel but they also have conventions at the hotel like the one I was at(lions convention). The hot tub needs to be hot and have the ability to be agitated with air. Like I said the rooms were nice and the location is great as it is an easy walk to bars and restaraunts but the whole package is just so so. stay if the price is right compared to other hotels in the area, otherwise search around. Our room wasn't cleaned on the first day

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sherburn, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I am surprised to see negative reviews. My family has been going here since I was a kid (and the hotel was a Holiday Inn) and I get very nostalgic whenever I come here. Not a lot of changes have been made looks-wise, but it really isn't needed.

The pool atmosphere is great because of all the room. The adults in my family often play cards at the tables, while the kids swim in the pool. It is bright and open. If you think noise is going to bother you, just request a window that isn't poolside; problem solved!

The rooms are nice, the beds are nice, the staff is nice. Breakfast is fun because it is in the restaurant area, so it kind of feels like going out for a meal, even though you aren't!-Lots of options.

I never hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mattie E, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! We appreciate you choosing to stay with us year after year! I am excited to tell you that we are currently undergoing a major renovation to all our public areas, hallways, and restaurant. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit!
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Good location for our needs. Updated decorating. Comfortable beds. Did think the room could use a deep cleaning, though. Corner of room was very dusty and full of sunflower seeds, yuk. One of those things that we wish we would not have seen. Other than that it was alright hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Mattie E, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I have discussed your concerns about the cleanliness of your room with our housekeeping staff, and I assure you the problem has been resolved. I hope that next time you are in the Mankato area, you will choose to stay with us again, and give us a second chance to exceed your expectations.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights for a business seminar that was held at the adjacent Verizon Center. The central location was great. It is within walking distance of most restaurants and pubs. That is the good. The bad is that this hotel is worn out and dirty. The is no excuse for the dirt. The hallway leading to my room on the third floor had a steak of dust 2 inches wide along the base boards, as if the one vacuum they own could not reach into the corners. The room was only marginally better. It smelled like the inside of an old submarine. Given the state of the rooms, I was terrified to eat in the restaurant for fear of getting food poisoning. The staff did not seem to care even though they received several comments on this from other guests as well. I can forgive old but not dirt. That is just lazy and/or bad management.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Black River Falls, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My fiancé and I decided to stay at this hotel because we were going to a concert and the hotel was conveniently connected to the concert venue via skyway. We paid almost $100 for it. The room itself was clean and nice looking and the bed was very comfortable. The only complaint I have with the actual room is there was an outlet that had a loose cover and outlets that were sunken in and it made me a little concerned about plugging in my laptop or phone charger into.

We had drove 4 ½ hours to get to Mankato to attend the concert, the 4 hour long concert left us exhausted, and we had to leave in the morning because we had a big day planned. We needed a good night of sleep. We went to bed around 1:00am. We couldn’t sleep because the people in the room next to us were yelling, we heard doors or something being slammed in the opposite direction of the neighboring room, and people were roaming the hallway and making a lot of noise. My fiance went to the desk THREE times to complain about the noise. Each time he was told security would be sent to scout the area, but supposedly security didn’t find anything so the noise problem never got taken care of. I can't be sure if security even looked. The third time he went he asked for a refund---we were miserable and just wanted to go to a different hotel so we could sleep. The person at the desk said he couldn’t give him a refund and that he would have to speak to the manager who comes in at 7am about any possible refunds or reductions. Instead of going to a quieter hotel, we had to try and sleep through noisy neighbors and doors being slammed repeatedly. I personally didn’t get to sleep until after 6am and I kept waking up because of the noise. We go to the desk to speak to the manager at 8:30am and we’re told that the manager doesn’t come in until closer to TEN, not seven. That was very unorganized of the staff to not know when management comes in and to get two very different answers. Instead of setting out to our next location at 8:30 like we planned, we waited until 10am so we can address our problems to the manager. While we waited we grabbed the free breakfast----there wasn’t much to choose from and it wasn’t very good. My fiancé goes to the desk again at 10am. Tells the manager “There was a lot of noise last night and we couldn’t sleep. I came to the desk multiple times about it and the problem was never solved”. The manager apologized for the problems and offered a free breakfast voucher from their restaurant for both of us and a later check out time so we could sleep, which we couldn’t take because we had someplace to be and we just ate breakfast. When he asked if we could get a reduced rate the manager says he can’t do that because he has to go by the security report says and security apparently didn’t find anything. He believed we had a miserable night and was quick to give us a free breakfast and a later check out time for the inconvenience, but when asked for a reduced rate suddenly he has to go by the security report? I don’t think he wanted to give us a reduced rate since we were paying almost $100 for one room.

We were dead tired and miserable because of noisy people. The problem was brought up multiple times and was never solved. We wasted an extra hour and a half waiting for a manager who wouldn’t give us a reduced rate for being so unhappy with the hotel, but yet could offer us an expensive free breakfast and a later check out time. And we paid $100 for it. I’ve never had such a terrible night of sleep at a hotel! Don’t waste your money. You could go to a cheap hotel and get better service and a better night of sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

A friend and I visited Mankato for a recent concert at the Verizon center next door. The staff was friendly and efficient at check in. Rooms were clean, and beds were surprisingly comfortable. The only minor complaint I had was that the room temp was difficult to regulate--not a big deal since in late Sept it wasn't too hot/cold outside, but this could be a bit problematic during humid summer days. We were given coupons for the lounge at check in which was a nice touch. After reading reviews on this hotel I was very hesitant to book, but knew the location couldn't be beat for what we needed. I'm glad we stayed, and would recommend others give this hotel a try!

Room Tip: A top floor room would be best for light sleepers--no noise from guests above you!