“Just ok.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mankato City Center Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mankato City Center Hotel to your Saves list
Mankato City Center Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 East Main Street, Mankato, MN 56001 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Mankato
Minnesota
“Just ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Good location for our needs. Updated decorating. Comfortable beds. Did think the room could use a deep cleaning, though. Corner of room was very dusty and full of sunflower seeds, yuk. One of those things that we wish we would not have seen. Other than that it was alright hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Mattie E, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I have discussed your concerns about the cleanliness of your room with our housekeeping staff, and I assure you the problem has been resolved. I hope that next time you are in the Mankato area, you will choose to stay with us again, and give us a second chance to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights for a business seminar that was held at the adjacent Verizon Center. The central location was great. It is within walking distance of most restaurants and pubs. That is the good. The bad is that this hotel is worn out and dirty. The is no excuse for the dirt. The hallway leading to my room on the third floor had a steak of dust 2 inches wide along the base boards, as if the one vacuum they own could not reach into the corners. The room was only marginally better. It smelled like the inside of an old submarine. Given the state of the rooms, I was terrified to eat in the restaurant for fear of getting food poisoning. The staff did not seem to care even though they received several comments on this from other guests as well. I can forgive old but not dirt. That is just lazy and/or bad management.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Black River Falls, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My fiancé and I decided to stay at this hotel because we were going to a concert and the hotel was conveniently connected to the concert venue via skyway. We paid almost $100 for it. The room itself was clean and nice looking and the bed was very comfortable. The only complaint I have with the actual room is there was an outlet that had a loose cover and outlets that were sunken in and it made me a little concerned about plugging in my laptop or phone charger into.

We had drove 4 ½ hours to get to Mankato to attend the concert, the 4 hour long concert left us exhausted, and we had to leave in the morning because we had a big day planned. We needed a good night of sleep. We went to bed around 1:00am. We couldn’t sleep because the people in the room next to us were yelling, we heard doors or something being slammed in the opposite direction of the neighboring room, and people were roaming the hallway and making a lot of noise. My fiance went to the desk THREE times to complain about the noise. Each time he was told security would be sent to scout the area, but supposedly security didn’t find anything so the noise problem never got taken care of. I can't be sure if security even looked. The third time he went he asked for a refund---we were miserable and just wanted to go to a different hotel so we could sleep. The person at the desk said he couldn’t give him a refund and that he would have to speak to the manager who comes in at 7am about any possible refunds or reductions. Instead of going to a quieter hotel, we had to try and sleep through noisy neighbors and doors being slammed repeatedly. I personally didn’t get to sleep until after 6am and I kept waking up because of the noise. We go to the desk to speak to the manager at 8:30am and we’re told that the manager doesn’t come in until closer to TEN, not seven. That was very unorganized of the staff to not know when management comes in and to get two very different answers. Instead of setting out to our next location at 8:30 like we planned, we waited until 10am so we can address our problems to the manager. While we waited we grabbed the free breakfast----there wasn’t much to choose from and it wasn’t very good. My fiancé goes to the desk again at 10am. Tells the manager “There was a lot of noise last night and we couldn’t sleep. I came to the desk multiple times about it and the problem was never solved”. The manager apologized for the problems and offered a free breakfast voucher from their restaurant for both of us and a later check out time so we could sleep, which we couldn’t take because we had someplace to be and we just ate breakfast. When he asked if we could get a reduced rate the manager says he can’t do that because he has to go by the security report says and security apparently didn’t find anything. He believed we had a miserable night and was quick to give us a free breakfast and a later check out time for the inconvenience, but when asked for a reduced rate suddenly he has to go by the security report? I don’t think he wanted to give us a reduced rate since we were paying almost $100 for one room.

We were dead tired and miserable because of noisy people. The problem was brought up multiple times and was never solved. We wasted an extra hour and a half waiting for a manager who wouldn’t give us a reduced rate for being so unhappy with the hotel, but yet could offer us an expensive free breakfast and a later check out time. And we paid $100 for it. I’ve never had such a terrible night of sleep at a hotel! Don’t waste your money. You could go to a cheap hotel and get better service and a better night of sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

A friend and I visited Mankato for a recent concert at the Verizon center next door. The staff was friendly and efficient at check in. Rooms were clean, and beds were surprisingly comfortable. The only minor complaint I had was that the room temp was difficult to regulate--not a big deal since in late Sept it wasn't too hot/cold outside, but this could be a bit problematic during humid summer days. We were given coupons for the lounge at check in which was a nice touch. After reading reviews on this hotel I was very hesitant to book, but knew the location couldn't be beat for what we needed. I'm glad we stayed, and would recommend others give this hotel a try!

Room Tip: A top floor room would be best for light sleepers--no noise from guests above you!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel at 10PM - at 10:15 entered my first room to find that the previous tenant had smoked heavily in the non-smoking room...back to the front desk. In my 2nd room, a double queen rather than the king room I was originally in, by around 10:30. My business partner's first room was filthy so he went down and asked to get us both into two of their king suites...on the move again. I got into my king suite around 10:45 only to find that is was climate controlled by what they called "central air"...it was close to 80 in the room and the small thermostat was showing it to be 64* so the A/C wouldn't come on...I just sat there for about five minutes sweating and listening to the lady in the next room hacking up a lung. I finally decided that in spite of the fact that I had just driven 8 hours and was exhausted, I had to get into a room with A/C. At the front desk I spent twenty minutes while a guy who never apologized or acted evenly remotely concerned that this was my 4th room, kept telling me that he couldn't find any rooms available (after he tried to put me back in the smoky room). He finally said he found what I requested and sent me away to find my forth room which he didn't tell me was a room with a king bed and a TV and nothing more...the single smallest room I've ever stayed in. At 11:30 I turned on the A/C and settled in. I've never had hotel employees care any less or act more apathetic in all my travels. Not one apology in 3 different room changes. When u couple that with dirty air vents and really old towels that have hair weaved into them from years of use, I would have to say to stay away from this place.

• Stayed July 2012
Minnetonka, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Didnt stay in the hotel, just used conference room and buffet for lunch. The staff was friendly and the buffet, while small, was pretty good.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Edina, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed the 2nd weekend in June, We are a family of 4 that stays at hotels frequently. This hotel ranks as one of the worst EVER!!!!! AC does not work, rooms are dirty, stuffy, and humid. Pool area is unkept, Pool stayed open later then the operating hours which left for a very LOUD evening.... Resturant is worse than a drive-in but priced very high. , Free contintenal breakfast is not worth going to. But more importantly staff is extremely unprofessional, and GM even worse. Many better options in the Mankato are to choose from. If you don't care if you sleep in a hot,humid, dirty room you will be fine here. and if you want to be kept up into the late hours of the evening get a pool side room, and if you want your kids to swim in a pool where the other people are swimming fully clothed this is the place you want to stay. But more importantly if you want to be treated with no respect and by unprofessional staff this is a MUST STAy Hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our staff works very hard to ensure our guests have an enjoyable experience. We worked very hard to accommodate you and your family. When I spoke to you yesterday, you did not have any complaints about the pool area or noise levels of the pool area. Our security ensures the pool area is closed at closing time and noise levels are at a reasonable level. Your husband called me after I got off the phone with you and much of what he said contradicted what you had said. He also said you will be back next year. I am proud of how hard my staff works and the degree of integrity of which they do their job. Honesty goes a long way in life.

Been to Mankato City Center Hotel? Share your experiences!