“Motel 6 at best!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mankato City Center Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mankato City Center Hotel to your Saves list
Mankato City Center Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 East Main Street, Mankato, MN 56001 (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Mankato
Edina, Minnesota
“Motel 6 at best!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed the 2nd weekend in June, We are a family of 4 that stays at hotels frequently. This hotel ranks as one of the worst EVER!!!!! AC does not work, rooms are dirty, stuffy, and humid. Pool area is unkept, Pool stayed open later then the operating hours which left for a very LOUD evening.... Resturant is worse than a drive-in but priced very high. , Free contintenal breakfast is not worth going to. But more importantly staff is extremely unprofessional, and GM even worse. Many better options in the Mankato are to choose from. If you don't care if you sleep in a hot,humid, dirty room you will be fine here. and if you want to be kept up into the late hours of the evening get a pool side room, and if you want your kids to swim in a pool where the other people are swimming fully clothed this is the place you want to stay. But more importantly if you want to be treated with no respect and by unprofessional staff this is a MUST STAy Hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our staff works very hard to ensure our guests have an enjoyable experience. We worked very hard to accommodate you and your family. When I spoke to you yesterday, you did not have any complaints about the pool area or noise levels of the pool area. Our security ensures the pool area is closed at closing time and noise levels are at a reasonable level. Your husband called me after I got off the phone with you and much of what he said contradicted what you had said. He also said you will be back next year. I am proud of how hard my staff works and the degree of integrity of which they do their job. Honesty goes a long way in life.

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Rochester, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My family was in Mankato for my son's baseball tournament. There were numerous baseball and softball tournaments in town the same weekend, in addition to a wedding at the hotel. All of the hotels in town were completely full - and overpriced.

The staff wasn't very knowledgeable about the town - we asked for tips on how to get to the fields without running into road closures, as well as for a good place to eat dinner, and nobody at the front desk was able to provide information without looking it up online (which took a while).

Our room faced the pool - I would strongly suggest NOT facing the pool. It was terribly loud until 11:30 pm. The room was cramped but updated. The bathroom sink was tiny. The room was clean, but the common areas could have been better kept up, The elevators were very slow. The pool area was a total mess, but that could have been due to the sheer number of people using it at any given time. Parking was adequate.

Room Tip: Do not face the pool area!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
jmadamson, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The hotel was very busy the weekend of your stay with many teams and kids in the hotel. With many kinds in the hotel, the pool area does tend to get loud but our staff does a good job at closing the pool area down and keeping noise levels minimal after hours. There is also alot of road construction in town and our staff wanted to be sure you were able to get to your destination without any problems. I hope you choose to stay with us again next time you are in the Mankato area.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

My family stayed here June 9 - 10, 2012. We arrived really late on Friday, at about 11:30 pm. Check in went very smoothly and quickly. We were given room 351 and it was close to the elevator. After reading reviews about noise I had some concerns however we didn't experience any of those issues. The rooms were nicely appointed. And clean. Some of the common areas could have used updating as they looked rather dated with the decor.

The highlight for us, and my kids was when we returned to our room Saturday evening. We had been out all day at the MN Air Spectactular and were really tired. Once in the room we found that housekeeping ad tucked my children's stuffed animals into the beds, propped them up, and they were watching TV while we were out all day. My kids loved this and I appreciated the attention to detail.

We would easily stay here again if in the area. My advice for those that may be hesitant based on previous readers reviews: There are some things the hotel can control and some they can. Don't let some of those things interfere with the good service that I personally received.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your wonderful comments. I printed your review and showed the housekeeper who cleaned your room and posted it for all the housekeepers to see. Housekeeping is a tough job with very few rewards. This is one reward she really enjoyed. Thank you, we are looking forward to your stay next time you are in Mankato.
minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed here for a Elton John concert on 4/22 because it was close to the venue. After reading the reviews I asked for a upper room as the manager told another reviewer that complained about the noise to get a higher room. We did get on the highest floor ( 4th ) room # 471. As soon as I got in the room I heard a train whistle right outside my room. ( I am a locomotive Engineer ) and that was the last thing I wanted to hear. I called the front desk and asked them to move because they put me on the corner right where the train blows his whistle!!! The front desk informed me they had no other rooms unless I wanted some thing on the pool side, I did not want to smell or hear the pool. I just wanted to get a good nite sleep. I know they had other rooms they could have put me in away from this crossing but they did not. Upon check out I talk to the manager "Jamie" I felt he was very condescending and his only response was I can not control the trains. I told him I understood that but I feel his hotel could have controlled the placement of the room I requested, his only response was sorry I told him that was horrible customer service paid my bill and left. I tried to make things better and I am not the kind of person who complains but this hotel has to do something with that corner.
The hotel itself is not a bad hotel check in was easy the Verizon center is right there. The room was dated and the wallpaper was patched. All the appliances worked great Micro and refer and tv. Concourse carpet needs work and the bar and restaurant very good service the only issue was noise and the front desk Manager Jamie

Room Tip: PLEASE do not book in the corner of main street. The traffic is very loud and the crossing for the t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
jmadamson, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
I apologize for the sleepless night you had during your stay with us. Your request when you booked the room was to be on an upper level in the middle of the hotel and that is where your room was. The only other option would have been on the inside on the other side of the hotel We offered to move you to one of those rooms facing the pool but you turned it down because you did not want to smell the pool. We have not had any complaints on the "chlorine smell" so that should not have been an issue. Our pool also closes at 11pm on Sundays so it would have been closed by the time you got back from the concert. You would not have had any issues with noise facing the pool. Unfortunately, we do not have any control over the traffic and trains outside of the hotel as Jamie had said. We did everything we could have done to accomodate you.
OTSEGO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have not stayed here since they switched over from another hotel brand, until this last stay. I liked the updates to the rooms and food, Would stay here again if room is avallable,

Room Tip: Ask for poolside room to advoid noise from the trains,
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
jmadamson, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Thank you for your repeat business. We renovated all our guest rooms in 2009. That is also when we became an independent property. Thank you for the nice comments. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and am looking forward to your next stay.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012 via mobile

AC did not work, 80 degrees outside. Stayed 3 nights, Saturday night was like 'animal house' . Security was called 3 times, had no control! Had to call police at 3AM. Use hotels 150 to 175 nights a year for business, do not recommend this hotel to anyone. Very, very lousy run property!

• Stayed March 2012
jmadamson, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
I apologize for the issues you experienced Saturday night. We did have some guests who were unwilling to listen to our staff and had to be evicted. That is not a usual occurrence for us and I am working with our security to try to prevent these issues from happening again. We were not aware of the A/C issues you were having, otherwise we would have been happy to have maintenance work on it or move you to another room.
Our Guest Services Manager issued a $50 credit for you when you checked out due to the noise issues you experienced. I know you have been a regular guest with us and have stayed with us 13 times in the last 2 years. To let you know how much we appreciate you, I have sent you a certificate for a free night stay. Please try us again because your experience from Saturday night was an isolated incident. Again, I apologize you did not have an enjoyable Saturday night.
Mankato, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I was placed in a lower corner room which was actually within 6 feet of the turn lane. Room 181.
All night long I was startled up from my sleep by what sounded like 18 wheelers coming into my room. NO SLEEP and cranky this morning. THAT ROOM NEEDS TO BE A STORAGE ROOM! Worse yet, I paid for that!

Room Tip: AWAY from traffic
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
jmadamson, General Manager at Mankato City Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
I appologize you did not get a good night sleep while you were here. Unfortunately, we cannot control the traffic outside our building but next time we can put you in a room that is higher up where it would be quieter for you. We have spoke to your company the morning you checked out and made an adjustment to their billing. I hope you will give us another try when you are in town again.

Been to Mankato City Center Hotel? Share your experiences!