“Not at all impressed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bonfire Wood Fire Cooking

Bonfire Wood Fire Cooking
1920 Premier Drive, Mankato, MN 56001 (Formerly Axel's Bonfire)
(507) 625-8443
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Not at all impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This restaurant had a lot of hype and that's about all it was. Hype. I have been twice, once when it opened and I gave a break due to the pains of starting but it's an established place and things still aren't together. We weren't greeted very quickly, the prices are well above what you're getting gor the area, the service does not make up for it and we weren't overly impressed by the food to start with. The atmosphere is okay but this seems to be like a mid-grade restaurant that thinks it's suburb. The table next to me complained of and pulled out a hair in their food, too! I make notice of that because I heard the exclamation and turned to witness the event.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fairmont, Minnesota
“not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I have eaten here now twice. The first time was in the evening on a weekend night. Busy, but we got right in. The food was good and the service was good. The second time was at lunch time, around 1:30pm. We were waited on right away, it was not busy. After or food was ordered, we ( 2 of us) waited for about 40 minutes for the food to arrive. I asked the waitress why was there such a long wait. Well, because there is only one cook and he was busy making pizzas, she said "sorry about that". That is not really taking care of your customers, sorry. The food the second time wasn't as good, and it was overpriced. Also, the music is way too loud. We probably won't return anytime soon.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis
“Enjoyed lunch for the most part”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Hit Bonfire in Mankato for a spontaneous Saturday lunch with my college-aged daughter who doesn't get to eat out at sit-down restaurant very often other than Chipotle or Tav-on-the-Ave. I live in the Cities and have had good food at Axels in Chanhassen and St. Paul, but didn't realize that Bonfire has a different menu than Axels. Was hoping for the wonderful crab salad from Axel's, but it wasn't on the menu here. Instead, we both had the shrimp and guacamole stack served with chips. The shrimp was perfectly blackened and seasoned with a nice kick, though there weren't many of them. The guac and salsa were a very good complement to the shrimp - a little on the soupy side, but delicious. The chips were clearly store bought and not remarkable. We both ordered the dish without the chipotle sour cream which just adds calories and masks the other flavors - good decision. Service was friendly but we chuckled at the inexperience - when one of us asked for water (should we really need to ask?), the young gal brought just one without asking or assuming that we'd both want water, especially since we ordered the same dish. Oh well, one star off for awkward service, but the rest was fine. Would definitely return.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mankato, Minnesota
“Not All It's Cracked Up To Be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

The service was very slow. I liked the ambiance, it was great to be able to carry on a conversation. The food was decent but overpriced for the quality. I probably wouldn't return.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mankato
“Put on a hair net!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Service was slow. The appetizer was okay it was like fish strips but my son had a pickle spear on his plate that I was about to eat. When he yelled at me to stop because there was a gross long hair on it.