“Very good dinner with family” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bonfire Wood Fire Cooking

Bonfire Wood Fire Cooking
1920 Premier Drive, Mankato, MN 56001 (Formerly Axel's Bonfire)
(507) 625-8443
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 127 Restaurants in Mankato
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Mankato, Minnesota
“Very good dinner with family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Prime rib sandwich was very good, tasty and very filling. Plan on returning to try other items on the menu. Service was good and very friendly staff.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tallahassee, Florida
“Dinner took 2+ Hours to Arrive - Not worth the wait!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

As a graduation treat, our daughter made reservations at Axel's Bonfire several weeks before graduation. When we arrived, we were seated within 10 minutes of our reservation time. Given that this was graduation weekend, we were impressed.

Then the wait began. The wait staff took our orders and delivered the drinks fairly quickly but the food was no where to be found. After more than 90 minutes, when questioned about the arrival time of the food and a request for bread or something to take the edge off our hunger, our waitress disappeared. The food arrived more than 2 hours after we had been eated.

The manager showed up about 15 minutes later to explain that it was his fault for overbooking a large dinner banquet/meeting in the attached hotel with a dining room full of large parties on the Saturday of MSU's graduation. The manager never apologized and never offered any compensation. Since it appears that the management knew about the problem, we would have appreciated a gesture like a free appetizer while we waited or a free dessert or two for the table (we had 7 people).

Once the food was delivered, our waitress never checked back, only coming by to drop off the check. The food quality ranged from mediocre to good. Several of our meals were lukewarm. Needless to say, we won't be back.

Visited May 2013
Minnesota
“Too expensive for the quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

High priced menu for the quality of food. Both my wife and I decided to try the Bonfire out. The menu was sparse compared to most restaurants. The prices were very high and the service was not good. My wife had the pizza, she liked it but was not overly excited. I ended up with a burger which was your average burger. We vowed to never go there again and due to the menu and pricing, we will not break that vow. If I want a good burger, I can go to 5 guys and for good pizza we can go to Dino's. Twice the quality and 1/2 the price.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Completely Satisfied”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Could've turned right to an Applebee's and turned left to Bonfire instead. And I'm glad I did. The service was awesome. My server Jenny was top notch and very knowledgeable on the entire menu. I had the ribs (naked) and they were near perfect. Made me with it was all you could eat rib night. My co-worker had some sort of pizza that looked great...and it was. General Manager Mark thanked us for stopping repeatedly. I wish there was one of these restaurants closer to my city. I will be back here for sure.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ontario
“Good Food, Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Had dinner there last week with two colleagues. Stopped in early evening and it wasn't particularly busy. We were seated promptly.

We had a cheese appetizer with nachos which was just ok. Dinner however was very good. I had the Fish Tacos which were excellent. My colleagues had the Pulled Pork Tacos and the Rotisserie Chicken.

The entrees were all fantastic. Lots of flavor and cooked perfectly. We were full after dinner so no dessert. Staff were great. I think our server's name was Tessa or something along those lines and she was terrific! Friendly and knowledgeable - we had some fun with her!

The restaurant was very conveniently located next to our hotel - Country Inn and Suites in Mankato, MN. Give it a try!

Visited April 2013