“Wonderful Home & Delicious Breakfast!” 5 of 5 stars

Butler House B&B
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   704 South Broad, Mankato, MN 56001   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Mankato B&B and Inns
Anoka, Minnesota
“Wonderful Home & Delicious Breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Just a note to "lovevactioningalot" I feel a need to comment on your review. My husband and I have stayed at MANY, MANY B & B's across the country. The job of the host is to show you to your room and set a time for a breakfast that is enjoyed by all the house guests. By checking the website in advance, you can see the pictures of the Inn, (if the curtains are crooked or not), and you can read the menu that is served. If you had questions about the Inn prior to your stay, you should have emailed the host. In regards to your comment about "no attention paid to us during our stay", I am wondering if you were expecting the host to chit-chat with you for the day and/ give you a Disney land experience?

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Butler House. Dave was a most gracious host. He allowed us to check in early so we had time to get ready for an event we were attending that evening. The room was comfortable and the entire home was beautiful. I loved the red velvet drapes! Coming down for breakfast, I felt like a princess! The table was beautifully set and the breakfast was one of the best ones we have ever had. Everything was homemade and delicious! The people we met were fun to chat with and found we had many things in common. The conversation was delightful. Dave's attention to our needs was above and beyond what we would expect from a B & B host. I would highly recommend the Butler B & B to any of my friends!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Clement's Suite. It was a cute room with a Jaccuzi hot tub.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pennsburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Other than to greet us at the door, show us to our room, and serve us an uninspiring breakfast (with the same egg dish served two days in a row); there was no attention paid to us during our stay at the Butler House B&B. Everything about this B&B was subpar. The curtains hang unevenly and the toilet made a terrible sound when flushed and sometimes even on its own. We were never asked if we needed anything nor was our room straightened or toiletries replaced during our three day stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Our 3 night stay at the Butler House made our Mankato stay comfortable and magical. Our host, David, recently took over running the B&B and he made us feel so welcome and comfortable.

We came to Mankato to visit Maud Hart Lovelace's home town and the setting of her Betsy-Tacy books. Staying in this wonderful home of Lovelace's era and within walking distance to her homes and those of her friends, made it easy to imagine we were one of her high school crowd. In fact, we stayed in the Betsy-Tacy room, though the other rooms were much nicer.

We highly recommend staying at the Butler House, if you visit Mankato. We wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Check the Web site for amenities/bath location.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
SAVAGE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

The reservation process was smooth, but we found it odd that they required a check for down payment when we made the reservation even tho we gave them our credit card #. When we got there, the hostess showed us the dining room and nothing else about the place except our room. We are used to B&Bs providing some wine and snacks in the evening, plus often chocolates; this wasn't done but a pair of wine glasses were in the room. The room was clean, but the sheets kept coming off all night ( and we were just sleeping!) and there was no mattress cover on the bed. There was a small TV and a video left in the room which was nice. Breakfast was a huge disappointment. There was a small cup of fruit with about a teaspoon of yogurt in it, the coffee was pretty foul, the "homemade pastry" they advertise on their site was definitely NOT homemade and tasted like and was as stale as cardboard. The egg dish was a bland, microwaved souffle. The hostess didn't refill our coffee carafe. The tiny scoop of sherbet and cookie after breakfast were tasty. When we were ready to pay, they wouldn't take a credit card w/out charging 5% extra, but this wasn't noted anywhere on their website so we had to use all our cash to pay for the room since we rarely carry checks anymore.
The neighborhood was quite noisy and there were loud train whistles all night.
We will never go there again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

These people are the most unkind, rude B & B/hotel owners I've ever encountered. In October,2008, I booked a suite for 3 nights for a convention in July, 2009. As per their request, I sent them a $50 check to hold the room. Two weeks later, disaster hit. My elderly mother had a stroke, and when she was released from the hospital in early December, she came to live with me and I became her caretaker. I realized I could not attend the convention next July and called to cancel my reservation. Sharry, one of the owners, seemed quite understanding and said my $50 check would be returned. On Christmas Eve I got a check for $20, stating that $10 per night had been deducted as per their cancellation policy. I called again and spoke to Ron, who was adamant that this was their policy. He even wrote me an email stating I'd been rude to call on Christmas Eve (which was when I got their $20 check and when they were open!). He actually felt victimized by my complaint! This is a heartless way to do business and a mean-spirited way to treat someone who is down on her luck. Also consider the fact that this is 7 months prior to the date of the reservation, and that this is a room that will surely be filled by someone else for the convention.

• Disliked — Ron's unkind attitude
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2004

Held our Groom's Dinner here, and also stayed the night of our Wedding. Beautiful old house that you will feel very comfortable in!

Been to Butler House B&B? Share your experiences!