“Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Raintee Road, Mankato, MN 56001   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 16 hotels in Mankato

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Where to start? The hair on the bathroom shower walls or the paper thin walls that woke me up out of my dead sleep to my neighbors getting it on? Do not stay here. Not work the price for what you get. The fixtures are falling apart and everything is outdated. Also, the sounds you may hear at night cannot be unheard. Sick.

• Stayed October 2012
GManagerMankato_MN, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Mankato, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I would like to apologize for your stay with us. I have brought on new staff to address the housekeeping issues. The light fixtures are being replaced along with new carpeting in guest rooms and new flat screen LED TV’s in the living rooms.
Mendota, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We recently stayed at the GrandStay Residential Suites in Mankato in Sept. 2012. We had been looking forward to the stay since this was our first experience staying at a GrandStay property. What a bad first impression. The overall room layout was nice and the cleanliness of the room was adequate. Unfortunately, it went downhill from those first imrpressions. Aside the the tired and shabby room decor, the room had several problems including a faulty hide-a-bed, broken window blinds on the French doors that led to the bedrooms and a used candy wrapper in the bed. Again, we probably could have overlooked some of these issues but the customer service issues pushed us over the edge.

When we went to inform the front desk of the broken hide-a-bed, the clerk acted surprised that the room had even been rented out since it had been flagged not to rent out due to the broken sofa sleeper. This was especially disturbing since there were plenty of empty rooms in the inn that night. Shortly after this episode we received a call up in our room to inform us that we needed to get out of the room since it was 20 minutes past checkout time and that we would be charged for an extra day if we didn't get out of the room. In my many years of traveling I have never experienced a call of that nature. You would think they would have just left us alone considering that they made my son sleep on a broken bed the previous night.

To cap the whole thing, when we came down to check out, I asked about a price reduction for the faulty bed. The clerk told me to call the manager when she returned in a few days. When I told the clerk that I was not too pleased to have been called and told to get out of the room since it was past checkout time, she rudely told me to "have a nice day."

Obviously, my nice day began as soon as I left the hotel.

P.S. - The breakfast was also subpar.

Room Tip: Maybe a room in the Holiday Inn Express across the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GManagerMankato_MN, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Mankato, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I would like to apologize for your stay with us. Thank you for your response all feed back will help us improve the hotel. My staff and I have been working on all issues that you brought up. We have all new bedding in the hotel and are working on getting carpets replaced, along with other items in the rooms. I hope the next time you are in Mankato that you will give us a try or at least stop and take a tour of the hotel.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The hotel is small and located in a convenient area in Mankato. Lots of dining and shopping options are nearby. We stayed in a one bedroom room with a sleeper couch. It is perfect for a long weekend when you need a full size refrigerator to store all of your drinks and snacks. The room was clean, the carpet was showing wear and needed cleaning. The bedding and blankets should be replaced. The pool is quite small. The hotel lobby is nice and welcoming. The staff we encountered were pleasant and willing to help. We will return and hope to try the two bedroom next time to have a bit more space.

Room Tip: Upper floors might be the best for sleeping!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us back in July! It is nice to hear that the room worked good for you. We have been updating the hotel. We have all new bedding and have started to replace carpeting. we look forward to seeing you next time you are in Mankato!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in June. It looks like it used to be a nice hotel, but it's starting to show its age. Our carpet was buckled and torn, and there was evidence of prior water damage. Pool is very small. Breakfast is okay. Free wifi was hit or miss. Ask for a room on the backside away from the highway.

Probably an average hotel for Mankato but the owners should invest more in upkeep to get it back to where it was.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us back in June. Since your stay we have been working on up dating the hotel. We have all new bedding and have started to replace carpeting. We have also made changes to the breakfast. I hope that the next time you are in Mankato you stop and check us out. You can come in ask for a tour of the hotel.
mpls,mn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

We had booked a one night stay at the hotel about 3 weeks prior to our March 31st stay. Our sports team were all staying at this hotel. Our after 7pm check-in was halted due to an overbooked hotel and some unexpected damaged rooms. We were directed to another property down the road. I would have expected the GrandStay to honor prior reservations in favor of walk up guests. My girls were very disappointed with the change in plans.The replacement hotel was the same rate as the GrandStay, but with none of the amenities. Repeated attempts to resolve the differences in room rates have gone unanswered by all levels of management. I did expect more service out of the GrandStay, but sadly this is not the case. My warning to all who arrive, do so early as to safely secure your reservation for the night.

Room Tip: arrive early or call to confirm the reservation
Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Eagan, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

The place has a very friendly homey feel to it. Nice pool. Small convenience store. Very pleasant staff. The rooms are equipped with a full kitchen including a dishwasher. Ideal for the longer stay traveler. The manager told me one woman had lived there since the day they opened.

The staff are extremely pleasant. I like the separate bedroom concept even if the living room is a bit on the small side. Ideal for 1 or 2 people but no more. If your group is bigger I suggest the two bedroom suite.

I travel to Mankato frequently on business and am familiar with many of the hotels. Grand Stay is certainly in the top 5. There is only one thing that keeps me from making it my number one hotel in Mankato. The internet speed is extremely slow. My business is heavily internet based and they had speeds of .60 Mb on several speed checks. I really don't understand why they insist on cheaping out on this vital communication source. It is quite inexpensive to increase speed. Who wants to wait 5 minutes to see a 2 min. You Tube.

The other small negative is they are a bit off the beaten track but lets face it Mankato isn't that big so that you can't get anywhere in less than 10 minutes.

If the internet is no big deal to you this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Mankato? Share your experiences!