“Big hotel, great beach location” 4 of 5 stars

Royal Myconian Resort & Thalasso Spa Center
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 64, Elia 84600, Greece   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Elia
São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
“Big hotel, great beach location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Royal Myconian and Myconian Imperial are at the same place, share the same lobby, and by the photos the rooms appears to be very similar, not sure whats the difference.
They offer transfer from and to port/airport, and must say it was the best I ever had, a very modern mini bus.
The hotel is very big, and that means a lot of stairs and elevators. Just to get to my room I needed to use one elevator, walk, get another elevator and walk some more. And all that to get to a not so cheap "Deluxe Double Sea View with outdoor Jacuzzi". Definitely should be closer to the lobby.
They have umbrellas and sunbeds at the beach, its ok going down but not very comfortable the way back, a lot of stairs (see the pictures).
The room was nice, big balcony and a very beautiful view. The bathroom looks old, shower on top of a tub what makes it slippery.
The staff is very friendly, they have bus transfers all the time to/from town, very nice pool, and excellent breakfast with champagne!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the looby, the one I got was very, very far.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The property, the room, the hotel, the staff, the restaurant, the breakfast.... fantastic. We were in 7 cities and this was the best staff. So hard working, there round the clock. They would serve you dinner and see you at breakfast the next day. The breakfast was amazing, so huge with many fresh choices. The beach was great, the pool even better. The room was perfect and the balcony could not be matched. Transfers to and from the hotel plus travel to downtown was included. Overall it was great but a steal at this pricing. A must do!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were greeted by the owner and shown to an upgraded room in the villas, which was very nice, however it did not include the jacuzzi on the balcony I ordered. I explained to him the room was nice, but not what I ordered. We went to have lunch while the person that showed us the room (Nastia) went to find the owner, but she left us with the thought we weren't going to get the room we ordered because they didn't have one. 2.5 hours after we arrived I was ticked off and explained this was not relaxing me. I began to walk from the villas to the royal, and was met by the owner who took us to the imperial myconian( the older of the so called 3 properties grouped together but designated separate for some reason) and showed us a room that was dirty but was being cleaned and would be similar to what we ordered. The room was not at the royal myconian as ordered, the jacuzzi had algae in it, which they fixed after I mentioned it, and was not as new and nice as the royal myconian rooms as ordered. The whole process took nearly 3 hours and was very stressful. They did leave a bottle of wine in our room which was probably to apologize, but nobody ever directly addressed it. My girlfriend liked the villa infinity pool more, so we went up there and were told by the Owner that we could use the pool that day but could not use it a second time.

I will iterate that once the check in nightmare was resolved and we understood that even though it looks and feels like one big property and with all the same employees, that its actually separate (you can eat or use the spa at the other properties, just not the pool i guess) it was very nice. The beach is beautiful, good service, breakfast, view, wonderful amenities in the bathroom. We had a nice time, I just wish we would have arrived-been given the room we bought immediately- and been treated as if no request was too great. The type of check in experience I am used to receiving at a 5 star resort.

I might add that the reason for the "upgrade" we didn't want was that the owner suggested the royal myconian was "so busy" and that he didn't want us to be too crowded.

If you are staying here there is the imperial myconian(oldest, but closest to beach), the royal myconian(the nicer and higher part of the hotel), and the royal myconian villas(not sure of the name) which is the nicest part of the hotel, but furthest from the beach. The pool at the villas is beautiful.

The pool at the royal myconian was very crowded due to some Iranian wedding with 200 people. So maybe they were doing us a favor but it certainly didn't feel like it.

If I were the proprietor I would have said nothing about us using the pool, and maybe taken care of the lunch while we waited 2.5 hours to access our room. It's a 5 star resort. It's not like buying us lunch would do anything but send the message that peace and relaxation is what you deal in. Instead it felt disorganized, frustrating, and deceptive that we weren't taken straight to our room we ordered with almost no apology for the frustration.

We were repeatedly told as if it was our problem, that they were so busy. As a matter of fact, every day we were there was busy with check ins and outs. Seems to me they would have that mastered.

• Stayed June 2013
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We took the room with jacuzzi in the balcony. The room was very spacious with great views and service. Loved the shuttle service to the old town and the private hotel beach with the free services. Although the beach was 3 minutes walk down the mountain, still they had a shuttle too! Not much big pools given the awkward location over the mountain, but who's there to leave the sea! The have a children play room. We tried there spa, my wife and I, and it was great experience. My 6 years daughter did a manicure and loved too with the staff going an extra mile and doing a childish design for her that made her happy. Pleasant and found memories.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband, baby and I travelled from the uk in early June to Mykonos, we had a lovely week at this hotel.
We got picked up from the airport in the luxury hotel mini bus the distance was only about 15/20 mins. The hill up to the hotel is pretty steep but the hotel runs shuttle buses to the beach so not much of a problem, even with a pram! We did walk it one night though and we managed ok.

When we arrived in reception we were impressed with the hotel staff, very helpful, would get us anything we needed for the baby, kettle etc.
Our room was on the fourth floor, beautiful view and spotless, the cleaner came twice a day and even washed some baby bottles for us one day! Lovely lady.
The breakfast was buffet style but great selection, I loved the waffles, all the staff again lovely and, they loved our baby, they were always fussing over him.

The pool area was great, always got a subbed, but very expensive for food and you couldn't just buy an ice cream if you fancied one, you had to order ice cream off the menu and have a proper desert, with having no shops nearby that was slightly annoying.

The resort of Elia itself was very pretty but very quiet, there were 2 tavernas which we visited and they were both lovely. We tended to use the hotels free shuttle bus in to Mykonos town in the evening, the 10.30 return bus gets very busy but if you wait 10 mins they send another one most of the time so no need to all rush on, which we couldn't do with a pram etc.

We would return to this hotel if we wanted a nice relaxing week away, we were very impressed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
wakefield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in room 458 and found the room size spacious with a great view of the beach and sea. Good cleaning regime by very lovely and friendly lady.
The hotel staff are brilliant so attentive and beautiful people. The staff on reception especially Efi are all very helpful and equally beautiful.
The breakfast is buffet style but with excellent service from the staff. Nothing is too much to ask and the staff are so polite. The food selection is excellent and very good quality.
The pools are clean and beautiful as is the poolside area a true sun trap. Kelly and Kiki both are attentive at the poolside area and ready to help with cocktails or even if to clean your glasses.
The area that needs looking at is the poolside menu as its limited in choice with no children's menu at all. The pricing lets its down too as the pizza simply is not worth €18 club sandwich is not worth €17 and so on.
We ate in the ala cart restaurant and I couldn't help thinking it was punching above its station. Dim lighting with a piano player it was all a little too intimate and not a very relaxing atmosphere. Again the food was excellent but I still think it was over priced, in saying that we both enjoyed the evening but wouldn't have eaten there a second time.
This hotel has a private beach that is okay... Just okay.. I ordered a beer and was presented with a small 330ml bottle for €7 this bottle costs less than €1 and other beach bars sell the large bottle for €5 so it's another example of how the hotel stings you any place it can.
I did use the hotel Spa and had a full body massage that lasted for 1hour and cost €100 no cheap by any standards and the massage itself was fairly standard for that price.
In summary I must say my stay has been a great one (1 week) but I'd struggle to return as in Elia you have no competition, no supermarket at all not even to buy a bottle of water !!!! My room bill after 1 week was €1240 so it gives you an idea of what to expect.

• Stayed June 2013
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights in September 2012. This place was suggested by a travel agent and trusting them was the worst decision we made. The hotel collected us from the port on time and in comfort, the hotel foyer was beautiful... and then there was the room. It looked nothing like the online images and we had an annoying woman, Anastasia I think her name was, show us the 'features' of the room. I found her so absurdly condescending 'this is your fridge, it has snacks, this is you TV, you turn it on here'.... really... this continued for 10 minutes including a tour of the bathtub! haha Anyways, the stay was supposed to come with Thallassotherapy treatments, however the pools were a brown/green filthpit, so there goes that idea. The pool area is nice, the salt water side only, the chlorine in the other side burnt my partners face. Other points to mention - the beach snack bar was unattended, obviously was accommodating non-hotel residents even thought it was supposed to be private, and not to mention the confronting approaches from africans selling assorted junk. The breakfast at the hotel was average, all water contains chlorine - so my cup of tea in the morning was a chemical concoction of disgusting. Their is nothing near Elia Beach, no restaurants, no other places to dine, we ate the $14 vegetarian pizza everyday to get by. Luckily this was the end of our trip and we were ready to just lay about for a while, overall this hotel is pretty crap, the side effects of chlorinated water really get to you also. Do yourself a favour, go to Crete...

Also forgot to mention, the cleaning lady was an ABSOLUTE COW! She would rudely enter the room, when we were there she wouldnt even say hello, several occassions my partner greeted her in greek, with no reply... we ended up putting 'do not disturb' on our door so she wouldnt come in, then she called lol! One good point is the Korres shower gel in Mango mmmm!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Myconian Resort & Thalasso Spa Center? Share your experiences!