“Ok, but not luxury” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Ok, but not luxury”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We chose this resort based on a Crowd cut deal I found. I'm so glad we only paid half price. The website description of a luxury resort was certainly an exaggeration. The room was adequate in size, maybe slightly better than a Holiday Inn. The linens were nice and the puffy pillows added that luxury feel. The bathroom, however was far from luxury. The lighting was horrible, certainly not enough to apply make-up well. The tub/shower was your basic insert. Nothing special. I made use of the fitness center, which was nicely equipped. I walked through the indoor pool area. It was ok. The morning we were checking out the smoke alarm went off. I could smell something burning and we began getting ready to run out of the building. When I opened our door and saw that all was quite in the hall we stopped and reassessed. After determining that there was no reason to leave, we decided to call the front desk to ask what may be happening. Of course, our phone line was dead. It had been all weekend. As we were leaving, I did stop at the front desk, to let them know about the smoke alarm. The woman at the desk asked me if we had turned on the heater. Well, yes we had it on all weekend. (It was the end of September in northern Minnesota.) Her response was, "the smoke alarm will sometimes do that if the heater is turned on. It moves the dust in the room." I stated, "so it's normal for the smoke alarm to go off." "Yes", she said. Wow. I guess if I want to sleep and relax, I shouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
somewhere over the rainbow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed in one of the condos with a whirlpool. We brought our dog, and I have to say Lutsen and particularly this lodge is super dog friendly, I couldn't believe how many dogs there were. It was nice, since we're "dog people"! The room was decorated in a tasteful woodsy/lodge theme, very cute. The amenities were good, fully stocked kitchen, games and puzzles in the closet, nice flat screen tv, dvd player with a TON of dvds to choose from at the front desk, free wi-fi, deck... and even better was that everyone was very friendly, from the woman that took my reservation to the ladies behind the desk. Downside? The bed wasn't comfortable - too hard for my taste. However, overall, it was very nice.
The grounds are pretty with a spectacular view, and if you go here in the winter, you're right next to the ski area, couldn't be any closer, so we walked to the alpine slide and the gondola. The weather was perfect, but too cool for the outdoor pool, although there were people using it. We went to the pool and hottub one night, both are really big so you don't feel crowded.
The restaurant, Moguls, was ok. We ate breakfast there, and the choices weren't many, but the food was good. I would definitely recommend Caribou Highlands.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We recently went on our honeymoon there. The resort is very nice. The options included are very nice: tennis, volleyball, mountain bikes, indoor/outdoor heated pools, scenic views and in-room whirl pool....They were very kind and helpful to us and provided a economical and fun honeymoon with many activity options. Loved it!

Woodbury, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Drove all the way from the twin cities. Ate at Moguls, the restaurant connected to the lodge, and had a chicken flatbread sandwich which was terribly bland, and was plainly just "heated up" and was definitely not worth $10. We enter our room to find a peculiar smell of earwax exuding from the bathroom and we decided to deal with it and not be a hassle and complain... Next thing I know, my guest and I are ready to go to bed, pull back the covers to our beds and discover body hairs and unfamiliar crumbs all over the INSIDE SHEETS!! Oh, and the best part, no ones at the front desk late at night so we slept on our towels over the beds. Front desk people are very pleasant, but other staff may not be as "enthusiastic" about their jobs . . . .

Boo.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a clean room with "fresh sheets", just sad
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We were looking for some peaceful BUT exciting fun for a weekend out of the city! Nice mix of rustic with modern convenience. This was the perfect adventure for city girls wanting some privacy, ability to stay-in and cook, but opportunity for AMAZING food at Moguls, and nightlife @ Poppa Charlies! You must do the guided canoe tour w/ John...he is an experience and an inspiration to get out in nature and stay young! The location is perfect to get over to Grand Marais for a day of shopping but far enough to listen to wind and birds w/out interruption! We loved Poplar townhouse and will be back. We did the evening campfire but that was more for families. DO THE MASSAGE - he was great (they just need to get him a better bed!). Worth the drive and money - we have many stories to share for years, cannot wait to go back and create more memories!

Room Tip: Poplar is more adult and "quieter", plus a lovely jaunt to the rest of the resort to walk...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Torrington, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I took a long weekend to celebrate his birthday on the North Shore. While finalizing my online reservation, I added the fact that this was my husband's 60th birthday and perhaps the resort could do something special for him? Nothing was done. I was terribly disappointed. In my travels, it is unusual not to have this request honored in some small way.

As part of the Odyssey Resorts family, I expected the same high quality as two of our favorite resorts...Grand Superior Lodge and Larsmont Cottages in Two Harbors. Needless to say, this was not the case. Upon arrival, there was no ice available (and we had traveled 6 hours and the temperature was in the high 80s)! Can you imagine..NO ICE at the resort restaurant or the bar? How were they serving drinks? Warm? Anyway, we were told that someone would bring ice as soon as it was available. Over 30 minutes later, the ice was delivered. OK. That was a plus.

The next morning, we headed to Moguls for breakfast. They were NOT busy and we were seated quickly. However, we waited over 20 minutes to get water and to place our order. In the meantime, 3 other tables had placed their orders, with a fourth at the ready. As we looked around the room for our waiter, he appears saying, "I'm coming. I'm coming". What an attitude! What lousy service. He forgot my milk, too. Much to our chagrin, our waiter's name bar said MANAGER on it! Ugh!

We stayed in Suite 621, which was very tiny but efficient for the 2 of us. The whirlpool tub and fireplace were nice amenities. However, the TV and remote really needs to be updated. And there was schmutz on the bathroom switch plate and area surrounding it...the pillow sham on the bed was filthy.

Overall, I know we will not be staying there again. We'll go back to Grand Superior Lodge, where the accommodations are outstanding, the food is incredible and the staff are super customer-oriented.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Last year I reviewed this property based on the accomodations. This year I am reviewing based on the outstanding customer service provided by several employees, but especially Trisha, the Front Desk manager.
I originally made my reservation online for an Alpine Elite condo. A while later, I noticed the charges did not reflect the special rate of 3rd night 50% off. A call to Caribou Highlands quickly resulted in a correction. Then, the day before our arrival, I called to request a different room type - no problem. Except the discounted 3rd night didn't happen again. So I called back and it was corrected right away.
Check in was easy as usual and off we went on our annual relaxation...Until Tuesday morning when a dump truck offloaded a digger in front of our townhome! Wait a minute - this is our vacation! What the heck??? Why is the sidewalk being replaced NOW??? A conversation with the workmen revealed a miscommunication and a trip to the desk ensued.
Enter Trisha...after listening to my concerns, she offered options for us and provided fair compensation for our dented relaxation. She was professional and did what she could to help our vacation end on a high note. Thanks, Trisha and thanks, Caribou Highlands for employing quality staff!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Caribou Highlands Lodge? Share your experiences!