“Disappointed stay at Lutsen Sea Villas” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
“Disappointed stay at Lutsen Sea Villas”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just spent one night at the Lutsen Sea Villas. We were to have stayed there again tonight (had a living social deal) but checked out in favor of finding somewhere more suitable for us. I have to agree that the view and distance from the lake is amazing, but that does not make up for the dark, cramped, shabby and worn villa that we stayed in. We felt like we were in a cave and it was claustrophobic. There had been an attempt to update the villa somewhat (kitchen area) but for the most part it looked like it was still the original interior from the 70s. The bed -- queen??? really???-- was the only thing that fit in the bedroom and may have been the original mattress from the 70s too! Loft??? Send your kids up there if you want to punish them and/or want to chance a tumble down the steep (and strange) ladder contraption. For the price these units go for and to have Lutsen's name and reputation attached, they (Lutsen) should be ashamed. We have stayed at Lutsen's Poplar River condos several times and really liked them, plus have eaten at the main lodge many times. Based on these good experiences, we expected so much more of the Sea Villas. We will definitely not stay at the Sea Villas again nor recommend them.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
LutsenResort, Director of Sales at Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Julie: I am sorry you found the lodging you stayed in disappointing during your recent stay. You are correct that the view and distance from the lake is amazing and I apologize that you found the Villa not what you expected. I’m glad that you’ve been pleased with your previous several visits to our property and have enjoyed the dining options here. I hope these previous positive experiences will bring you back to our resort in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at the Resort over Memorial Day weekend. Although our accommodations were a little "rustic" (no air-conditioning/not super fancy), we had a fabulous stay here. The staff was all incredibly friendly and helpful. There was a pizza/movie night for the kids that allowed my husband and I to spend a few hours together without paying a babysitter. There were three campfires on the beach we used to roast marshmallows. Beautiful area close to lots of great trails and attractions. Price was also really reasonable. We'll return in the fall when we don't have to worry about not having air. Was really beautiful and a great place for our young family.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed with friends at a Lutsen Resort Sea Villa recently. Maybe it was the gray overcast and wet weather conditions, but the Sea Villa itself was dark, dank and not very pleasant to hang out in.

Our small group of four adults was anxious to check out the Lutsen Resort Sea Villas. We arrived late Friday afternoon and got checked in immediately - no waiting. The hotel clerk was fast and friendly and we found our two bedroom condo (with third floor lofted bunks) very quickly. The condo itself was sparsely appointed. It's my understanding each condo has a different owner and the owner of C3 has recently made some nice upgrades to the place (new granite in the tiny kitchen and bathrooms, new carpet). The furniture, though, left a lot to be desired. The apartment sized sofa and tiny barrel chairs were uncomfortable. The beds, on the other hand, weren't bad.

This particular unit is sandwiched between two other condos. The entire home is dark and dim with very little natural light. It felt like a dungeon most of the time - again, weather was not cooperating with us, so we spent a lot of time indoors - playing games at the dining table. We planned to make most of our meals in the condo, but the kitchen was poorly appointed. In fact, we even purchased a bottle opener for the owners and left it in the drawer for future visitors. You're welcome!

After 48 hours, we were all ready to get out of the cramped space. One might think that since there were only four of us, there would be plenty of room to spread out, but the design of the space meant that unless we were in the bathroom or bedroom, we were sitting within arm's reach of each other the entire stay.

Once again, I recognize that had the North Shore weather gods cooperated, my review of Lutsen Resorts Sea Villas might be different, but given that 50% of your time spent on the North Shore is going to be foul weather, you need to consider space indoors to accommodate your group. Lutsen Sea Villas doesn't really make the grade when it comes to this one criteria.

Room Tip: If you stay at Lutsen Resort Sea Villas, ask for an end unit so you can get maximum natural light!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Chuck: I’m sorry that the weather was not cooperating during your last visit and that the Villa felt small when you found yourselves indoors much of the time. I’m sure you were not planning to spend the weekend indoors! We apologize that you were disappointed in your visit and hope that you might consider trying a larger unit during a future visit.
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Love love love the sea villas...been coming here twice per year for the last 5 years. Your very own small furnished condo 20 feet from lake superior! It is absolutely fabulous. Will keep coming back for sure. The loft is great for kids.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a perfect spot to stay on the North shore of lake superior. Great Sea Villas with all the comforts of home and the addition of being right on the shore of lake superior! Lutsen knows how to make a traveler feel perfectly at home with the beauty of the surrounding area. They can help you with everything and anything you want to do on your time away and you will not be disappointed with suggestions, great spots to eat, hike, kayak, view wildlife and well, let me just say they love and know where they are at and will make sure you completely immerse yourself in the north woods lifestyle!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Reminded me of the experience at Sun Valley Idaho. Historically important. Rustic yet luxurious. Customer service excellent. Condo was impeccable and comfy. Food at the pub was great! Staff were knowledgeable of the area bike trails, state parks and activities. Staff were happy to help yet unobtrusive. I observed staff treating elderly repeat guests so well!! I booked my next trip there at checkout! I can spend my day hitting it hard outdoors on the North Shore and come back here to be taken care of.

Room Tip: There are condos right on the river if you like that sound. I rented one further down from the river...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Twin Cities
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed in a one story Sea Villa with a deal we purchased on LivingSocial. These are located a little south of the main resort. We were a bit early on Good Friday and there was noone in the small office. We went down to the main resort to check in. Wonderful desk clerk, very friendly and helpful. We went back to our unit and the parking spot and walk to the door was covered in 3 inches of snow from the day before. No shovel in the unit, so my wife started clearing it her foot, all the while a young man that worked for the company was about 150 feet away with music blasting from his work truck. When she came back in the room we heard somebody out there clearing some of the snow she hadn't. The room was smaller than I expected but very nice and close as possible to an unusually calm Lake Superior. Everything in the room worked fine, full kitchen with utensils, wood burning stove/fireplace. The views all weekend were wonderful. Went into Grand Marais, (my favorite place in the world), on Friday afternoon for a bowl of clam chowder w/wild rice soup and what turned out to be a very potent ale from Bell's brewery in Michigan at the Gunflint Tavern, It was called "Takeover", and it did, Bed was a full, I expected a queen, but that might be my bad. We woke Saturday morning to a mini blizzard blowing in off the lake. Personally I like a day like that when we visit. The hill driving into the villas is pretty steep and I noticed our neighbors had a very hard time going up abot 8:30am. About 9-9:30, a young man in a truck with a plow cleared the hill but nothing else, the whole parking area was a mess. Went to GM again for ice cream at DQ. Relaxed, and wife did one of their puzzles, nice touch. Sunday morning when we left, there was so much mud and ice and slush around the car that we got our feet soaked loading. It's probably a great place in perfect weather but it gets a 3 for me. This resort is nice and has a great reputation, but they need to do something about the parking area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!