“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Faringdon, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

This Island ticked all the EXCELLENT boxes!! We booked for 2 weeks, but had an extra 5 days due to the volcano. Thomsons and Nic the rep were fantastic, texting most days to keep us up to date on what was happening. The reception Guys put updated faxes and emails through our door daily as well. We were upgraded to a water bungalow for our last week which was amazing and a lovely surprise. I prefered the glass floor panel to the tv!! The food was fantastic, a different themed meal every night. Easter Sunday was a Gala Dinner under the stars, WOW, I have never seen such a huge display of food, we just had to try it all!!! Well done to the chefs. ( we sent a huge tip through to the kitchen for them which they really appreciated)
Our 3 rooms were all clean (86, 81 and 211) and in lovely parts of the Island. ( apologies to our cleaner for the loo pipe coming off and flooding the bathroom)
Bar staff and restaurant staff could not have been more helpful, always remembering what drinks we had and knowing us by name and room number!!!
Snorkelling round the house reef was brilliant, as was the Island hopping trip, (apart from the horrendous thunder storm!!)
So, thanks again Embudu and Thomsons for a lovely, lovely holiday.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We spent a week on this paradise island and loved every minute of it. Very relaxed and laid back. Beautiful island with perfect beaches and surrounding waters, the snorkling and diving was a great plus, the best i've seen!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

First at all check this website www.embudu.com and be sure that your travel agency is offering you a good deal. I used a Sri Lankan travel agency and, later on, I learned that other guests had better rooms and rates than me. Ask questions, they will reply your emails.

I was there from April 19 to April 21. I was surprised by all those stranded Europeans unable to go back home because the ash cloud over Europe. That was not a pleasant experience.

I have no complaints. I didn't see any insect in my room and all the rest are normal things you can find in an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean. But you are not alone… TV, cell phones and internet have an excellent signal. If you like diving and snorkeling that is the right place to do that. If you don't like it, just 2-3 days stay is good enough. You may walk all around the island in just 20 minutes…

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Had planned this trip as a birthday surprise for my wife. we stayed there for 3 nights in the water bungalow. overall it was a great stay with a very helpful staff( especially if you keep tipping them), yes the place do seems to need refurbrishings but the atmosphere and the helpful nature of the staff really takes all that to a background. the only problem we faced was with the food. both of us being asian vegetarians we had very limited options in menu be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. i had mentioned my food preferences in advanced to the hotel management before ariving but still if u have to keep eating same lentil dish for 3 consecutive days it does bother u. overall it was a great experience and the place is definately recomendable.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Gloucester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Have just returned from 7 nights at Embudu in a Water Bungalow. Everything that has been said before here in regard to the more than acceptable food, the friendliness of the staff and the amazing reef is true.
The room however (I can only speak for no. 212) was a big disappointment even though I wasn't expecting a lot. My first impression was that everything was in need of replacement. The wardrobe doors just don't like to move, the curtains had mildew in them & I discovered later in the week that my husband's pillow did also! The pop up waste on the bath did not work so maintenance had to be called to take out the plug - could be embarrasing if you had used it for more than a foot bath like I had. Furthermore the sink tap & the jets on the jacuzzi bath were green and just off putting, not nice. There is also (occasionally) a bad smell, possibly sewage, which wafts about the place and was present in the restautant one morning while we were there.
I know I'm sounding like a moaner and I was in the Maldives after all and what could possibly be such a problem in such a beautiful part of the world and that's the point. After a few days, all these things seemed less important due to having been lulled into that peaceful state of mind which accompanies such trips as this but that means that we all start to accept things that we wouldn't elsewhere.
The reception area, restaurant and bar are all of a standard which it would be nice to see reflected in the accomodation & at present as far as I can see this isn't the case. No one goes to this part of the world to sit in thier room but should feel comfortable when they are in there and while this resort appears less expensive than others I must wonder about the value for money.
There is so much about Embudu which is fabulous but there is too much which isn't which prevents me from recommending it to anyone else.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

We just returned from 5 days at Embudu Village in the Maldives. We were very impressed with the organization, cleanliness and friendliness of all the staff. We were picked up at the airport and whisked away by speed boat to our beachfront lodging, fed very well, and allowed to relax in a paradise setting. The snorkeling is amazing, as is the diving. We found it a very good value for our money, and hated to leave.I can see why people go back there. Five stars, Embudu Village!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

I just got back from a week's all-inclusive package tour to Embudu Village, Maldives and I must say it was just what the doctor ordered! As a lot of the reviewers on this site touch on, if you are looking for a five star, luxurious, 'bells and whistles' destination, Emdbudu Village is not the place. If, on the other hand, you are like most people I know and have financially suffered from the global credit crunch and are looking for a great budget destination to soak up some rays, swim in the sea and enjoy some respite from a cold Northern Hemisphere winter, then this place is perfect! Accommodation is basic but trust me, with the exception of the odd two minute (if I'm lucky) rendezvous with the wife and catching z's in the evening, you're not going to be spending much time in your room. We had AC which as you would expect was very cool and made us comfortable at night with a shower with hot water and it was all perfectly adequate. The food was above average for a buffet style restaurant (I am very picky!) and if you're a vegetarian or someone wanted to lose a couple of pounds by eating rabbit's food, then you won't be disappointed. The best of the themed evening meals in my opinion were the carvery, asian/Indian and BBQ nights which were delicious. Don't expect a Michelin-starred restaurant - it just isn't - but if you like well-cooked, simple buffet style food, then you'll like this place. We paid for the all-inclusive option but did not drink booze as I'm on a de-tox January but the beer seemed to be flowing freely and the spirits as part of the package are all the reputable brands so get stuck in! Actually I feel as if the hotel got something for free from me because I didn't take up the booze option so should you decide to go, have a beer or ten for me. In all seriousness, top place. The house reef is absolutely amazing. I regularly saw sharks, turtles, rays and millions of coloured fish snorkelling in the house reef so hope you enjoy that too. My wife and I will definitely be getting back to the Maldives as soon as we can. Whilst the financial markets in London seem to be picking up and I may get a bonus and not a donut this year, I don't think I'll be tempted to up-scale and go to a flashier island. Embudu was perfect and we will be going back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Embudu Village? Share your experiences!